Jun 30, 2016
If one receives a screen secondary from a UC, then does that mean that you have a good shot of getting an interview?

For example, does that mean that your GPA/MCAT has qualified you, and that it is up to your secondary, EC's, and (perhaps) LOR that gets one an interview?

Note: I searched this question, but the answers were limited and did not address this question adequately...

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
For your first question, if you get through the screen it just means your probability of getting an interview went from 0 to above 0, not necessarily from 0 to a "good shot," if that makes sense.

And yes, it does mean that your GPA/MCAT has qualified you and/or it could mean your personal statement/work and activities have qualified you and they want to learn more.

Essentially it just seems that they are more so screening people OUT rather than screening people IN. While UCSD will basically not send a secondary to students who they absolutely believe will not be considered for interview, other schools will refrain from screening people out until after the secondaries.

About the Ads

DameJulie

2+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
The UC screens is kind of mysterious...but the consensus here is the GPA/MCAT cutoff. However, I believe they still read your AMCAS to determine the cut if you're borderline.

Congratulations on getting the secondary early in the cycle!

Reactions: isthisuniqueenough

gonnif

Only 342 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
I believe less than half of people getting a secondary from UCSF/UCLA/UCSD get an interview.
Even if they screen and only send secondaries to 25% of applicants, still long odds
upload_2017-8-27_10-25-56.png

OP
isthisuniqueenough
Jun 30, 2016
Oh I see! These responses were mildly encouraging. :)

Even if they screen and only send secondaries to 25% of applicants, still long odds
View attachment 223037
Whoa! This is a great chart. Thanks so much, gonnif (totally honored that my thread has been touched by a legend...) Yes, the odds of getting into even ONE medical school is small, but I gotta try!

The UC screens is kind of mysterious...but the consensus here is the GPA/MCAT cutoff. However, I believe they still read your AMCAS to determine the cut if you're borderline.

Congratulations on getting the secondary early in the cycle!
Thanks DameJulie!

Reactions: DameJulie

gonnif

Only 342 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Whoa! This is a great chart. Thanks so much, gonnif (totally honored that my thread has been touched by a legend...)
Isnt so much touched as slapped upside your head

CloverBale

2+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2016
Status
Medical Student
My own UC alma mater didn't send me a secondary. I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO HURT IN MY LIFE.

CyrilFiggis

5+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2014
Status
Medical Student
When I applied in 2014, I received a secondary from UCSF the day after my primary was verified. A post-bacc classmate of mine with better grades, never received one. We were both IS.

The next year when I reapplied, I got a secondary from UCLA and UCSD, neither sent one the previous year and there was no marked increase to my GPA or stats. UCSF also sent a secondary, but instead of getting it in July, I got it after Thanksgiving. Never got an interview at any.

Moral of the story - accept each response at face value and don't think too much into it.

DameJulie

2+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Moral of the story - accept each response at face value and don't think too much into it.
Agree. None of the UCs had such secondary screening rule explicitly stated on their website, so it gives me a reason to believe that GPA/MCAT isn't ALL factors they consider when passing out secondaries (this is why some people can still get secondaries in January even when they submitted during summer).

About the Ads