Recent 1st year UHS students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jephyboy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all of the recent 1st year students out there. How did you feel about your first year under the new curriculum? Has the school made any changes? Likes and dislikes about the curriculum or the school in general. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

All that I can say is that it SUCKED! It was one of the most unorganized, cluster F***S that I have ever had the displeasure of taking part of. To all of you new people who talk soooo highly of this place all that I can say is that you have another think coming. :eek: The instructors, well I can not include them all, but 90% of the instructors did not have a clue about what they were talking about half of the time. For example: The instructor who headed up the CV section has his masters in educational development or somthing like that. I don't know where his vast knowledge or,lack therof, of the CV system came from. The other half of the time was sooo disorganized even people that were directing the new curriculum were confused. I feel that someone got the word from the offices above to make this work no matter what and step on the little fires that are set along the way. The clinical faculty was another story. Most of them could not even take a set of vital signs :confused: The pathology instructor had to help teach students (on his own time) how to do a CV assessment, because the clinical instructors couldn't. Well all that I have to say to all of you new people coming here is ask somebody in the administration how long they have been working on this new curriculum. They will probably tell you several years. Try a couple of years. They jumped in over their heads with this one. They had trouble managing one class with this new curriculum last year I don't know how they are going to manage two at the same time :rolleyes: Oh well those are my feelings and just a few of them at that. Oh and by the way Premedmom :rolleyes: the area around the school sucks as well. I think that you guys need to check her credentials I think that she might just be on the payroll by the way that she is talking! Oh well. I am back from vacation refreshed and ready to roll on over into another confusing year!
P.S. All of you that did not get into UHS give it up, because the only pre req to get into her is that you are breathing! :p

A little harsh don't you think?
tell us how you REALLY feel?
However, I do agree that the area around the school is less than desirable.

later

Members don't see this ad :)
What were your experiences with Gary Ballam and the head of pharmacology, if any?

The first reply was interesting. I'm just keeping this thread close to the top. More first year students are welcome to comment. Thanks.

AMEN to that! I am writing these post so that some new student may read these and think twice about buying into their bull crap about all of the great things that this new curriculum is going to provide them. Once again I say, they jumped into this thing with both feet way to fast. They should have waded into the water, but that would not have worked. Do you think that they would have chanced sacrificing the name of the school along with hundreds of peoples education on a marketing scheme? Try this one on, how would this sound. WE ARE HERE TO PRESENT YOU WITH THE NEW GENESIS 2003 CURRICULUM. Just not as catchy as Genesis 2000 is it? They wanted to bring in a new curriculum with the new millinium at all cost. And the biggest cost is your education! THEY WERE NOT READY!!!! All of you prospective students. Please look into this CAREFULLY before you buy it. This is one of the most expensive schools in the country, and the disorganized education that they provide you with is just not worth it. Like the previous post noted. They should have begun developing stronger relationships with hospitals so they could provide better clinical experiences and rotations. As of now they suck. Instead they sunk all that they had into a curriculum that you will not even be able to explain, to Drs when you do your residency interviews. I mean there are no anatomy grades, no path grades etc.. Oh they say that they are going to section these out, but I hope that they don't. My grades are good now, all together but singled out I can't imagine what they might be. They could not even get the grading on our tests right half of the time so how would they swing a calculation like this? I mean, think about it. If you were in a residency interview and you and another person were in the running neck and neck. Who do you think they would pick. Someone who came from a program they could relate to and understand what they are looking at when they look at a transcript or someone like you who graduated from a curriculum even you cant explain. Well that is the question. I know there are many many others in this class who feel the way I do. I hope that they add to this.

Does any of the students know if UHS has made or will make any adjustments to the program in light of the problems they had this first year?

Are they trying to fix these problems? I cant imagine that UHS would want their students to get a subpar education. I will be attending in the fall and I am wondering if I should have said yes to AZCOM. Does anyone have anything good to say about the school?

You would think that they would try to fix the problem. We had so many student complaining about the disorganization and the curriculum that the dean had an open forum meeting with whoever wanted to come. We had many students show up and many comments and suggestions taken down by the admin. However, nothing ever changed and we never heard anything else about it! Like I said I think that they got the word from above to MAKE THIS WORK. To change anything would be admitting that there was something wrong with the curriculum, and they will not do that. I mean think about it. I feel, and many others feel, that this is a marketing scheme. We have two lawyers running the place. It seems that their business plan is more important than what we are learning. You will find people that like the curriculum, but they are fewer than the people who totally dislike it. We have lost several students so far. A few that flunked out and several who left simply because they disliked the curriculum so much. Now that is something. To think that you would quit something that you've worked so hard for, and some of them are starting over again at other school with traditional programs. Now they are paying a price, giving up a year and going through hell again just so that they can feel that they are getting a quality education. Like I said before to all of you new students. Think before you jump!

Alright, it seems as though someone needs to inject a little common sense here. I usually dont respond to these threads but I feel compelled to tell the real story behind the UHS situation. I admittedly am not a first year student. I am instead entering my third year so let me give you the perspective of someone who has actually been around for awhile and knows what the hell he is talking about. And unlike "fist of rage", I will try to be diplomatic.
There are several misconceptions being floated around here about UHS and I write this to calm all of you entering students whipped up into a frenzy by these inflammatory comments. lets get one thing straight..I AM IN NO WAY A PROPONENT OF THE NEW CURRICULUM! I am of the "old" school in that mine is the last year on the former curriculum. Nevertheless, when lies are being spread and rumors are floating around someone needs to respond.
Whereas I agree that the new curriculum needs alot of work, i feel that the professors will make it work. they are a quality bunch that for the most part really know their stuff, are willing and eager to teach and are the kinds of people you want at your institution. (by the way.. Fist, before you start spreading rumors about the CV director and we all know who youre talking about, know your facts. He has a Ph.D in Physiology and that damn rumor about being an education degree is just that, a rumor. I did some checking, and before you open your mouth to discourage others, get your fatcs straight). I have a pretty good and personal relationship with many of the faculty (Ive done research with many of them) and can tell you all firsthand that most of them are willing and eager to pass their knowledge on to you.
I am not feeding you all a line that the university would like to hear. The faculty is the redeeming quality of this university. I would argue that it is the administration that is to blame for the shortcomings of this new curriculum. (By the way "fists of rage" allow me to be the first to invite you to the door if youy dislike it here so much. No one has forced you to come here and no one has forced you to stay. If you dislike it so much... the solution is simple. or maybe you didnt learn that one either.
My next point is about clinical rotations. I again would like to know where "fists" is getting this information about them "sucking". I agree that the rotations in Kansas City have alot to be desired, but there are many other sites in other states during the third year available for selection. i am rotating in detroit at a hospital that is a part of the Henry Ford system (Horizon Health) for example. For those of you unaware of hospital training sites, Henry Ford is in the top 15 if not hte top 10 medical centers in the US and yes I will have the opportunity to do three rotations there my third year and as many my fourth year as I would like. My base hospital is part of the Horizon system so the benefits are excellent. Before you listen to someone ranting and raving about how bad the opportunities are, let me remind you that this person is just now finishing his/her FIRST year. In no way does he/her have any qualification to pass judgement on something of which the is no experience. He hasnt even gone through the PROCESS of CHOOSING a site to go to yet. Take him for what he's worth...a first year who's way over his head and looking for someone to blame. A crappy, incomplete curriculum is a substitute for some sort of frustration and he should in no way discourage any of you from UHS.
With that being said, let me give you my impression of what is WRONG. The curriculum does need alot of work. that's obvious. The administration has too much power and there is not enough freedom for faculty to innovate. The school is run by lawyers and not physicians, so the til is toward business rather that medicine. Use your imagination under those limited parameters and you can see why fists of rage is so disgruntled. He certainly is not alone in his class.
Like any other school, there are many things RIGHT as well. The faculty is top notch (I dont know who couldnt teach vitals to fists, there are a few culprits but again for the most part even the clinical faculty know what theyre doing well.) The oopportunities are phenomenal; the hospital Ill be training at is top notch and it is one of many choices we have. Admittedly Kansas City sites are some of the weakest available but some people who have actaully been through the love them. the jury is still out. Research is gaining increased focus at the university so I urge all of you to seek out a mentor and get involved.
Im not here to blow smoke up your a**. Wherever you go, youre gonna hate it. Its part of the process that is both greuling and painful. There have been countless occassions in which Ive literally hated being at the university because of the atmosphere in class where cliques form and rumors spread and it seems alot like high school. Also, the administration of the place pisses me off to no end and I cant stand Kansas City now because of the poor expereince ive had at the Univerity. BUT IVE GOT NEWS FOR YOU, WHEREVER YOU GO, THE SAME FEELINGS, FRUSTRATIONS, DISLIKES, ANIMOSITIES AND STRUGGLES WILL GREET YOU. THROUGH ALL OF THIS CRAP THOUGH I CAN HONESTLY SAY WITHOUT ANY HINT OF HESITATION THAT I HAVE NEVER, EVER QUESTIONED THE EDUCATION I HAVE RECEIVED NOR DO I FEEL LESS PREPARED FOR TRAINING THAN PEERS ELSEWHERE. take it from someone whos been through the mill here at UHS, it may seem like it sucks like fists says, but that feeling is part of the training process. Take it with a grain of salt because UHS is really a fine institution to gain a medical education. It is growing, expanding, and many of the problems now will no longer exist when youre at the position I am now at.
Good luck to all of you, hang in there because it really is hell. Keep your eye on the ball and do your best not to let medical school get in the way of learning medicine.

Jim

Thank you Jim for you thoughtfull reply.

As a MS4 at UHS, rotating through the KC sites, I also have heard people saying that the KC sites "suck" and, to the last one, these were all people that did NOT rotate through KC, so it leaves me wondering how they know that the KC sites suck. Jim offered a balanced view on this issue, including an admission that "the jury is still out" on the quality of the KC rotations. Well, let me assure the incoming MS1s that most of the KC rotation sites are great. Any place you go,you will find some particular rotation that is weaker than the others, even at the same institution. So, I am not trying to say that all KC rotations are good or that all are bad. In KC you have the chance to rotate through KU, Truman (affilaited with UMKC), Children's Mercy (also affiliated with UMKC), and several community hospitals, such as Trinity, St. Joseph,Research, Baptist. In addition, you also have the opportunity to rotate through the VA hospitals which, for things such as psych or IM, offer very good didactics and learning opportunities (and both depts. are affiliated with the respective residency programs at KU).

All my rotations in KC have been very busy and with plenty of hands on experience. Sometimes too busy, as I have had to take night/weekend call in several of my rotations. Talking to classmates who chose rotations sites outside of the KC area has convinced me that I am getting a very good clinical education here. Several complained of slow rotations, particularly in peds and ob/gyn (most hospitals don't do much peds and most places have the residents deal with all the ob/gyn stuff, so you don't get to do much, just shadow). I did my peds rotation at Children's Mercy, which is plenty busy, and my problem wasn't being bored, it was being overwhelmed by the amount of work to do. As for OB, I got tons of hand on experience, including the oportunity to first assist on several occasions. A day with 2-3 surgeries and just as many deliveries was the norm for us, so I can't complain, particularly when some of my classmates outside KC got to OBSERVE as many deliveries in one month as I got to ASSIST with in one week. I also have had no complaints in regards to the amount of teaching preceptors/attendings/senior residents have been doing on my rotations. It has been just the right amount for me. I can see that people who like a more structured lecture format might not be entirely satisfied with this aspect of their rotation, however, I personally always found the organized lectures/conferences to be a place to struggle with my overwhelming need for some sleep.

There are many frustrating things at UHS, but the quality of the education you can receive there is not one of them. Part of it depends on the effort you are willing to put forth. Do not expect to be spoon fed as many undegrads have been throughout their education. The faculty at UHS is very accessible, with few exceptions, and everybody complaints endlessly about these few people exactly because they are the exception, rather than the norm. When you feel overwhelmed, tired, sleep deprived, which is the natural state of being as a MS1, it is easy to concentrate on the negatives, loosing perspective. It is also easy to approach the faculty in a confrontational manner and then complain of not being heard. As for the administrative staff, I have found them to be courteous and mostly very willing to help.

All things considered, including the many administrative and curricular annoyances I and my fellow classmates have been kvetching about for the past 3 years, I can honestly say that I do not regret having chosen UHS for my medical education

OK let me say this! Not one of you, and especially a brown nosing loser like you jimbo, (I know who you are) can talk about and downplay what we have been through unless you have gone through it. I have many friends in other medical schools, and yes they have complaints, but when I talk to them about all that we have to complain about their mouths hit the floor! You have no idea about the disorganization that we went through with this curriculum. Let me also say SMARTA** that I don't leave because I have paid for 1 year of school so far, and for one of the most expensive educations in the country I might add. I am locked in. What am I going to do leave and just keep adding on to the bill!? Let me tell you something you would bitch and complain to, if you went out and bought a 30,000 dollar car and every time you got in it something was wrong. WOULDN'T YOU? Well everyday that we showed up for class something else was wrong. And I am not blowing this out of proportion and making this stuff up. We had instructors come in and try to perform lectures the way that the admin. had it laid out and the instuctors would stand up there and say that there is no way to get all of this to you! And by the way I did not blame all of the faculty. There are many strong faculty members that are left here. Many left when they studied the curriculum. Some were run off by administration because they stood up against the curriculum. However some of the ones who are left are nationally known in their fields. TOP NOTCH. The thing is, administration has put muzzles on them. Kind of, keep quite or else! Go along with this curriculum the WAY THAT WE WANT IT (administration, like you said followed business not medicine). I do admit that the faculty may one day bring this curriculum around making small adjustment underneath the administrations noses. I have worked in the medical field for some time now, and this curriculum on paper is a great idea. However, this will take several years, and those classes in the mix during those years are just going to have to suffer. As far as the rotations go. You said it yourself jimbo the rotations in KC are sub par. Well what am I going to do, move my family around at a couple of thousand dollars a pop to get a decent rotation site? They told us at our interview day just how great the rotations here in KC are so I thought it would be a place that I would be able to keep my family. WRONG was I! As far as the cardiovascular section goes. It was the worst! (By the way you can pull up the CV of the the faculty members in some of the schools publications and there you will see what I was talking about!!!!) The CV section was so disorganized and the leader of that section could not lecture to save his life! You should have heard the complaints, the sighs and the groans even during class! So once again jimbo you think before you speak. DON'T YOU DARE call me a disgruntled first year. I have been working in this healthcare field long before you even thought about attending medical school! Don't even try to explain our problems unless you have gone through them!
P.S. next time your in KC let me know. We might just go out for a drink and I will show you why I am called fist.

Fist of rage,

you keep talking about how bad it is and say that you can't comment unless you've been there. What about the post from UHS2002? He is an MS4 and says that KC sites are great? apparently he doesn't feel the way you do and he has been there done that.

later

Members don't see this ad :)
12R34Y
I do not go to UHS, but as a member of a class that is the first in a new curriculum I can say it is hard even if it is organized and run well. I have spoken with several other UHS students (not member of this message board) who are very unhappy with the new genesis curriculum and yes my jaw did hit the floor when I heard about some of the disorganization as seen through their eyes.
For fists all I can say is that I hope the adversity your clas is going through has brought you all together as a closer and stronger group. I know it definately did for my class. Hang in there.

Get a freaking life mr. rage, and complain a little more while you're at it. I just finished the same first year that you did, and you know what I loved it. Your opinions are not representative of the whole class by a long shot. It may not have run smoothly all the time, but what did you expect the first time- perfection? Obviously if they would have perfected their admissions criteria, militant dinguses like you wouldn't get in.

Ha, well touchy now aren't you. Well the people who I new that loved the curriculum and the school (and you are one of them because I think I know who you are) loved the school because they gave them such chances to pass. All of the people who I new that loved it would have been failing in any other program, and thats why they would not dare speak up against it. And, by the way. I never once said that I was speaking for the entire class maybe the majority but not the entire class. So why don't you get a life and start studying the things that are being left out of this curriculum that you love so.

You know that is funny- all of my friends that like the curriculum are in the top 20% of the class easily.
Instead of writing novellas on message boards, why don't you focus that energy on studying- then maybe you wouldn't have the time to complain.

OK OK you got me. You are right. No sense in arguing with a wiz like you. Especially with the brilliant bunch you hang out with. Oh and by the way If you believe that all of the people that you know that love the program are in the top 20%, and since you love the curriculum so much I have a nice bridge I would like to sell you!

Fist

Why did you choose UHS in the first place? For such an advocate of the traditional teaching method, why go to UHS. I would assume you new about the change before accepting. Did you really think a new curriculum would run like a Lexus the first year?

Granted I have yet to experience the new curriculum myself, but I have chosen to attend UHS anyway. If I find I don't like it, I can blame noone but myself. I chose to go to UHS. They just gave me the oppurtunity to attend their school. They did not force me to accept.

Your blaming the wrong people. Try blaming yourself!!

Whoa,
Craziness. Well this is classic, some people like it some don't. I don't mind the curriculum, but I know a few who hate it. My complete opinion can't be given until after next year. I have a buddy at Was U in St. Louis and we have learned a lot more clinically than he has. On the down side though, he could kill most of us UHSer's in bio-chem. The main thing about school is getting into the specialty that you want to do. The breakdown for selection criteria comes mainly from the third and fourth years, who you know and how you did on the rotation. Further down the list is LVL 1 or Step 1 boards then grades. This is condensed but close enough. I think that Genesis will help me and my study group tremendously with 3rd and 4th year clinicals.
Just throwing around an opinion,
Have a good summer.
Mark

Well I am not surprised that there are people in the class like fist. I have a pretty good idea about who this is as well. Even to stoop as low as to email incoming students letter between faculty. Give me a break!
I am not going to say that our cirriculum was in any way perfect or even close this year. I do believe though that the faculty has our best interests @ heart. As a reminder Mr. Fist, you'll recall that there were changes made for our second semester, even though i must agree that CV wasn't as good as it could have been.
I'd be willing to bet that you didn't take up the school on the summer practicum either. Having completed one month (@ a KC rotation site)I can say that I felt pretty good about the information we've covered so far. Even CV which was in my opinion the worst section (maybe tie w/ SBL). Instead of whining about the bad things in our cirriculum, learn to deal with it and get what you can out of it. There is A LOT to gain from this method of learning.
I agree that this method of integration of information is foreign to most because the American educational system is not set up that way. However, IF you can manage to quit your whining, you'll see that what they're trying to do is get you to think as a physician now instead of waiting until your 3rd or 4th year. It makes perfect sense, to get students in the mindset of physicians EARLY seeing this is the career pathway we've chosen. Remember that boy, you chose UHS knowing full well the cirriculum was changing.
For those of you not attending UHS, this change while not the smoothest, is in the long run for the better. During the prcaticum I recently completed, I had the opportunity to spend some time with a member of the class of 2003 and 2002 as well as a KCOM student (Class of 2002). I was able to hold my own. None of them even realized I had only completed one year of med school until I told them. This is a result of two things. First, I work hard at school and frnkly I know my Sh**. Secondly, I know that our cirriculum had forced he to think like a physician and therefore better prepared me to my cliinical experiences. Tis true, NOT ALL of us @ UHS think the cirriculum is all bad. Just the few noise makers who havee nothing better to do (like fist of rage and [email protected]).

Well, to answer a few questions. I choose this program because like I said before, I had been working in the medical field for some time now, and this program sounded like a great idea on paper. Especially when they told us on our interview day that they had been working on integrating this system for over 8 years, and how all of the faculty were behind it, and the blue print of the curriculum that they showed us in the interview was nothing like the one I got 2 days before classes started. Had I gotten the real one the day of my interview I would have left then without the interview. And had known that they had only been working on this curriculum for only a little more than a year (even picking the curriculum they wanted to go with) I would have left. To answer the other question. I am not the person who e-mailed the letter from one of the faculty. However, I did receive it and since you brought it up. The letter was from one of our basic science instructors, found in the library (signed), asking for more lecture time in the G.I. section. The reply from the head of the G.I. section denied him any more lecture time, and pretty much told him to adapt. That the basic sciences were running with up to 30-50% less time than they had in the past, and that they would have to adapt to this new style. Well it takes teachers who have been doing this for years, a great deal of time to adapt to this style of teaching. Oh well I am not here to bash anyone or rain on anyones parade. I did not expect a fine tuned machine with this first year. I am angry though because I was lied to. I am just here so that all of the incoming students may have an idea of the truth. The idea of the truth that I did not have, and would have chosen another school had I been given it.
Thanks
P.S. Those of you who go into your 1st year rotations saying I KNOW MY SH**, are the ones who will end up killing someone, because as of now you do not know SH** about the real world in the hospital!

Well, Mr. Fist. Seems that when things aren't going your way you need to get personal. Big deal that you worked in a hospital setting for a number of years. It doesn't mean you know jack about being a doctor in a hospital. Secondly, when I commented about knowing my sh** it was in regards to my level of knowledge as compared to the other students. ta ta

Right on Dman!! Personally I think mr. rage likes to twist everyone else's words and thoughts around to fit neatly into his angry curriculum world! Good luck with the upcoming year.
MCNC

Most people that I talk to like the curriculum. The USMLE step I shelf exam looked very positive.
Mark

I see that fist has decided to resort to name calling in a sad attempt to justify to himself the mistakes that he has made. Its either that, or he really cant make his argument any other way. Dont be put off by his juvenile attacks on UHS or on me. For being around the block sooo many times (in healthcare, whatever that means), he acts like he's still in high school.
The fact of the matter "fist" is that you knew you were getting into a brand new curriculum with risks, and if you've been around in medicine so long, you ought to know how to effectively change a situation. Youve got no one to blame but yourself. Either that or your vast experience should have warned you not to get into something you were not sure about. (By the way, simply "working" in healthcare doesnt make you any kind of expert on medicine. If you already knew half as much as you think, you wouldnt be in medical school in the first place. Remember... YOU ARE ONLY A FIRST YEAR MEDICAL STUDENT and not some worldly sage that can educate us all). Im only a second year, i dont have answers either, but at least I can admit that I dont them and constructively deal with the problems that I face.
Rather than bitching and moaning on some website about how UHS is out to get you, stand up and be a man and effect some change from within. When something that youre paying for is not what you expect, you have a right to be upset. I dont dispute that. What I do have a problem with is the cowardice by which you deal with that problem. I think the new curriculum is not the best as it could be but you dont hear me moaning and complaining how the administration forced the faculty to basically abandon the second year class so that they could spoonfeed the material in the new curriculum to a group of overstressed, whining group of people like you. You know there's a problem fist when even your own classmates admit that your class is too demanding and complains constantly. I like alot of your classmates, many of them are good people, and will be great physicians. But its people like you that make everyone on campus whisper about what a bunch of jacka**** are in your class. I apologize to all of the class of 2004 who are not like fist but unfortunately get lumped into his catgory because of people like him. Ive heard it from students, faculty, staff, you name it and they know your type. So fist, sit down, shut up and know your place.
By the way, since youve worked in medicine soooo long and youre so all knowing about all aspects of UHS, why didnt you research the curriculum more before jumping in with both feet? Face it, you gambled and you lost. According to your comments, it was a terrible decision and one that I would guess that you wouldnt make again. Others in your class have realized they made a mistake and had the guts to correct it. They left, swallowed the fact they borrowed the tuition money and moved on. This is less than ideal, but they felt it was best for them. If you feel so strongly, maybe its your best option too. Dont hide behind your family for your own cowardice. They dont deserve it. If you hate it that much, there are ALWAYS alternatives. Work to change your situation here or dont let the door hit you on the way out.
What doesnt work for you may work for others on this page who are deciding on where to go to school. So it is wrong and it shows how much of an a** you are for bad mouthing your own school. (By the way, are you even smart enough to realize that by being so overwhelmingly negative toward your own school, youre shooting your own self in the foot and could end up further lowering your own reputation)? I doubt it.
I am further amazed at the total cowardice that youve shown on this web page. You rant and rave about how terrible youve got it (we've all seen your type, but usually its not until our Peds rotation), and you do all of this under an alias. Youve got alot of nerve attacking people online from the safety of your computer. I at least have had the nerve to sign my real name and give my real email address, whereas you go by a stupid alias. If youve got a problem with me, and you say you know who i am, at least show some spine and come at me in person. Ive got no problem backing up what Ive said to you, but I conveniently have no idea who you are. Just the way you like it... you can be a brave man under these circumstances. Im in Kansas City now fists, and i gather that you are too. Im on campus any time youd like to continue this conversation with me.
Now, for all of the rest of you who may be put off by fist of rage. Every class has got *****s like him in it. Youve got to understand that usually the sane and thoughtful people outnumber these disgruntled idiots. Dont let his type discourage you from making an informed decision. UHS is a great place to receive an education as UHS2002 says, despite all of its administrative hassles and growing pains. You will be as prepared or more here than anywhere else you may go.
Ive admitted that i am not a first year student. I also admit that i dont know all of the ins and outs of this new curriculum. Fists cannot admit that he still is a first year student and doesnt know half of what he is talking about. Keep in mind that he is a product of a first year curriculum that needs alot of work BUT IS being addressed. I understand anger and frustration at something on this scale of importance. He certainly is not alone in his class. I freely admit that i am glad to have been on the prior curriculum, but i know the faculty well enough to know that they care, they know their stuff and theyre working to improve the glitches. According to fists, this makes me a brown-nosed loser. Well, you judge which is the better way to handle a less than ideal situation. Work within the system to change it, and get as much as you can out of it, or incessantly complain to people in an arena that has no effect on school policy about how bad youve got it, and insist that "everyone" agrees with you in an attempt to sway people for some unknown reason. We're not in school to conform to what we think everyone else thinks, we're here to get all that we can out of the experience as a product of our own hard work. Remember, it is what we make of it that matters, not what is spoon fed to us. We're not in high school anymore.
If any of you have any questions about the school or curriculum (the little I admittedly do know about it), email me and Id be happy to help. What I dont know, I can pass on to some first years who are not as volatile as is "fist of rage".
Lastly, I will not respond on this thread again because i dont believe any good for you, me or UHS can come of it. I dont want this to turn into any more of a shouting match than it already has. UHS is a fine place for an education, but whatever i say here will be subject to further attacks and criticisms, and the cycle will keep repeating.

You know where to find me fist if you want to continue this. Have the decency to spare these people and grow up.

Best of luck to all of you,

Jim
[email protected]

Enough,
I am a first year. UHS is a good school PERIOD. Personal attacks on the administration or other students are ridiculous. I thought you were a medical student? Fists give us a break, go to another school. I sure hope that you treat patients a long way away from my practice because your behavior is unacceptable. Take your problems up with the administration for Pete's sake. For the new students, don't let this one guy fool you into thinking that UHS is a bad place because it is not. They have top-notch faculty, and they are willing to bend over backwards for you. Even for those that think that it is bad because it is run by lawyers.....BIG DEAL. They did a world of good for the school and our President is one of the most charismatic leaders one could hope to have. Bottom line Genesis is a good way to teach medicine. We learn to think like doctors early so it will help us in our third and maybe our fourth years. If it is not working for you, then that is your fault not the administration or faculty's fault.

yahoo. It's good to see that others of us are speaking out on the benefits of the Genesis 2000 cirriculum!!!

I can't agree with Kal more. Again, i state that we all knew that UHS was undergoing a change before we came in. And I am looking at poroof that our concerns were heard.

I have a schedule which addresses what I perceived to be a major concern. For those who wanted it, the quizzes have been moved to every other week instead of weekly.

I point that out b/c Mr. Fist was saying that we go unheard. Sorry buddy but you're wrong.

For the propective students who read this I agree with Kal El, don't let the voice of one disgruntled sway your choice of UHS or not UHS. We are an excellent school which wants all of its physician grads to excell. I'd be willing to field Q's from anyone incoming or thinking about it. Peace.

Anybody want to tell me how Drs. Tuttle and Ballam are regarded at UHS?

Word has it that faculty are reading these sites and bulletins!!!!!!!
Watch yourself boys and girls, don't speak out or you will be crushed like little grapes!!
Say over and over..."Genesis is good", "Genesis is good".
Big Brother IS WATCHING!!!

Hello to all.
I just finished my first year at UHS and have loved it so far. I want to say that fist is complaining about a couple things that are real issues at UHS, but he is taking them way out of proportion.
There was some disorganized lectures and there were a few lectures that were cancelled. There were even more that were shifted around to make room for other things. I was a little upset by this, but friends at other medical schools said that it was like that everywhere. The organization became a lot better as the year went on.
There are some students who do feel like fist (maybe not as strongly or viloently), but for the most part, people havve really seemed to like the curriculum, and for a lot of those who didn't, some of them started coming around towards the end of the year.
I thought for the most part the professors did a good job. In fact, I would say that almost 90% of them DID do a good job, completely contrary to one of the comments made earlier.
I also say all this with no concerns if people know me or not. I am confident with what I say, and if someone wants to talk to me about it, I have no problems with that. I am confident in my school, my eduaction and my career. I would strongly recommend UHS for all incoming medical students.

I may not be a first year, but I can say this much. The new curriculum is really not much different from ours. The key difference is the order in which the material is presented. Intead of breaking everything up into neat little subjects, they are trying to teach related topics side by side. Yes, things traditionally taught in the second year may be encountered earlier, and conversely, things traditionally taught in the first year are put off until the second.

The bottom line is that the same material is being taught by most of the same excellent faculty (ie. Stephens, Jensen, Friedlander, McCandless)as it has in the past. The same lecture notes that the faculty has used in the past are very frequently used in the new curriculum. So I would encourage incoming students not to be alarmed by the incessant ramblings of a bitter person. All the tools you need to succeed are here, as long as you are willing to use them and not whine about how hard medical school is. You are going to get the same education that has consistently produced a near 100% pass rate on the COMLEX (even if the curriculum is not altered to suit each individual's particular learning style).

As for Fist of Rage, please be a bit more professional in the future. While I agree with you that our school is not perfect, I also know that there are more productive ways to voice your concerns. You may actually wind up being a physician someday, and an attitude like yours will only be detrimental to your patients and fellow workers.

Hmmmmmmmmm...
Personally, I am wondering why this post has been virtually abandoned... how is it, when students once spoke out, now they are silenced...

In other words, it is a sad day, when students can no longer voice opinions to other students without looking over their shoulders for BIG BROTHER!!! What next, tapping telephone lines?

Dr. Evil...professionalism is allowing students the freedom of speech without intimidation. Sometimes speech isn't eloquent, but the point is achieved.

Man! I don't read this forum for a couple of days and look what happens! All this action that I missed. That teaches me . . . I'm never going another day without reading this forum. Keep them coming!

I would like to extrapolate on what Dr. Evil has said. I have every bit of confidence in our school's ability to prepare us for the COMLEX and more importantly a career in medicine. Besides, it's not only the school's job to prepare us for these tests. It's out job as students to prepare, school is to provide the necessary information for us to learn.

I think it would be safe to say that that the very people Mr. fist says don't give a damn are well aware that the first year of the new cirriculum wasn't perfect. More importantly, I'm sure they've worked this past summer to tweak it and make it better not only for the incoming class of '05 but for the class of '04s second year.

Come on, do you really think that a school that has the good reputation that UHS has would really throw it away? Of course not. Like I have stated in previous posts, this style of learning is exactly like Dr. Evil said. It takes the neat little subjects as they used to be taught and blended them together. The last time any student probably got this type of learning motif was in elementary school. This alone is what I think the biggest hurdle.

I would strongly encourage any prospective medical student to give UHS a look. We have the blessing of having a first rate faculty (Stephens, Treffer, Cole, Karius, McWhorter, McCandless, Jensen, ERF, I know I'll forget some one), who REALLY DO CARE about our education and our success. We also have excellent Student Services Dept. who are more than willing to assist the students who need it. To disregard UHS-COM as a choice for medical school simply because you read some negative posts on a message board from one student, would mean you'd be missing out.

As to what Freeedom said, is it possible that Mr. Fist simply realized his thoughts about Genesis 2000 were in err? Peace.

I suppose he may have just "quit voicing his opinion"...but I doubt it.

Really, I don't care how your school is run, but let me tell you this, word travels quickly on "the www". When students feel their opinions no longer matter...when students feel bullied by faculty...when students feel money is wasted or not contributing to their benefit...these future alumni no longer consider donating----you lose future support!!
But ya know, it don't affect me, and I don't care none D-Man. So whatever.

If you don't care then Shut up.

Well Kal El...I find the habit of silencing those that feel DIFFERENTLY to be rather disgusting. Especially by intimidation.
And to your "shut up" comment I will do one better...My dad can beat up your dad.

Spare us with your attempt at humor. If you were so uninterested in what our school does you wouldn't be posting every 5 min with something bad to say. Take your ridiculous "big brother is watching" attitude and spare us your stupid little conspiracy theories. No one is out to get anyone based on opinion. If that was the case you'd be ousted long ago. So go back to the grocery store down the street and keep hiding out waiting for the sky to fall. That would benefit us all. If you'd like to keep matching comment for comment I'd gladly keep busting you up.

Who pissed in your cheerios big-guy? A bit defensive I would say.
You are right your school is number one. Your school is not tightly watching its students to prevent bad PR.

Just don't beat me up! I am so sorry. I will ONLY say what you want me to say.

Freeeedom, what I was trying to get across to you is simply this. There is no UHS big brother getting ready to bring down the axe on the neck of some disgruntled, whiny student.

Allbeit Mr. Fist has concerns, this is not the place to discuss them. Also, if any person were to actually approach me in the manner that fist approaches this message post, I'd get defensive really quick. wouldn't you? My guess is that if fist went to the faculty or administration he had an attitude like the one presente don this board, he was indeed blown off by whomever he spoke with. I'd ignore him too.

When handled in a professional manner the faculty and administration is very receptive to student ideas and concerns. Likewise, if you don't care how the school is run, why are you interested in this thread anyway?

also, check your private messages Freeeedom.

Dman,
I have returned your private message.

Freeeedom!,
I have read your posts from when you started in Feb. They get worse and worse. We are so sick of your rhetoric nonsense about some noble cause like David and Goliath. Spare us your melodramatic garbage and go back to your fourth year clerkships where you actually know what you are talking about. Your claims are as factless as they are stupid. So for the sake of Med students' IQ everywhere, talk about something else.

I really like you Kal El.
Hmmmm. You quote superman, yet you seem to want to stomp out any opinion differing from your own. Wow.
And you attack me out of what seems to be pure frustration. Are you a student? I wonder. I have no beef with you, yet you attack me with a passion, as if I have threatened you. Hmmmmm.
Listen, your school is probably a wonderful place, but your defensiveness is odd. Few other programs feel as though they must defend themselves so vigorously.

P.S. I only stay on this thread because you respond.
Go get em tiger.

Can you get anything right? Since when did Superman care about Lex Luthor's opinion? I have no qualms with your opinion, only your reckless lack of truth and your gossip like rants. I could care less about your opinion of UHS, but your insistent "big brother is watching attitude" is as stupid as it gets. You are the joke of my class, and I can't wait to get back there to hear their comments. Keep em coming braniac.

I love you Kal El. Really, not because of your beautiful, heart felt words...but because you are just an all around great guy with many constructive things to say. You are a real winner.
Keep on smilin'...BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING.

PS. No dead lab monkeys for you! And besides, dude, I am just hassling you, no harm no foul. You need to take a deep breath.

Kal El,
Touch my monkey you silly little freak!! Touch it!!
Where is UHS anyway?

Freeeedom!,
I'm just playin around too. Just kidding about all that stuff. You do bring up good points. Have a good rotation.

With school getting read y to fire up again soon. I wish to extend my best wishes to all in the class of 2004 and 2005. Peace OUT!