SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Recent acceptances to Univ of Washington?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by liketrav, Mar 27, 2007.

1. liketrav

liketrav

Mar 7, 2007
    Besides Suntzu, Soccer5girl07 and Tigger 7222, has any other applicant received notices of acceptance from UW? If so, please provide date and method of notice and stats. Any information on when notices will be sent out to remaining applicants?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. liketrav

liketrav

Mar 7, 2007
    My son received his notice through e-mail today, and he is extremely happy!!!!. :love: He interviewed on 3/1/07 with the following stats: 3.69 GPA science and cummulative; PCAT: science 99%; cummulative 88%. More of you should be hearing the good news today. :luck:

Are there any UW students or Seattle residents that can provide for some recommendations on housing? What are the preferred streets or apartments in the 98105 (zipcode) area? We have already checked the "Apartment Review" website and there does not appear to be alot of housing listed. Should we be looking for apartments outside of 98105?

Attached is the link to the zipcode map of Seattle and UW (98195):

http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/stellent/groups/pan/@pan/documents/web_informational/dpds_006735.pdf

4. suntzu

suntzu 7+ Year Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Congrats to him! Does he have an account here?

I'd be happy to share what I've learned about housing in the Seattle area. I've been jumping around the city since '92. Zip codes are hard to gauge by. I think it's more about the bus lines!

I'll send you a PM.

5. TMVegas

TMVegas SDN Angel 5+ Year Member

Jan 3, 2005
    It is a little difficult to find an apartment in Seattle when you do not know the area. Neighborhoods all have different names. I live right up the road from UW and my zip is 98115. Also, a lot of apartments are small complexes. They usually do not advertise on sites. Many just put up "for rent" signs. This was how I found my current apt and how I will find my next apt. If you guys are not from the area, you will probably want to plan a trip here to find housing. Neighborhoods where many students live: U-district, Lake City (this is just a neighborhood in Seattle and not a different city), Ravenna, Wedgewood, Fremont, Wallingford, Northgate, Mapleleaf, Capitol Hill, Sand Point area (not sure of exactly what the neighborhood is called). These are all right around UW and have convient bus schedules. Most people take the bus to school or walk if they live really close. Parking is expensive!!

Also, some of my classmates live in graduate student housing. I don't know if this works for students who are going to apply for instate tuition or what you need to get the housing.

6. hanpark520

hanpark520 2+ Year Member

Feb 5, 2007
    I agree with TMVegas that the best way is the walk around campus looking for "for rent" signs and calling them. Most of the online advertisements are out of date and not many are advertised in the seattle newspapers. If you need a place to start, you can also try UW Daily's classifieds.

7. yawj797

yawj797 2+ Year Member

Feb 28, 2007
  8. yawj797

yawj797 2+ Year Member

Feb 28, 2007
    suntzu & hanpark520...has the office finish processing your response letter, criminal history, etc. and forwarded your name to the state board for the internship license? I mailed my response a few weeks ago and i'm getting anxious.

9. liketrav

liketrav

Mar 7, 2007
    Many thanks for the great feedback on housing!

10. Ptl4Chairs

Ptl4Chairs

Mar 22, 2007
    Has everyone being hearing back from the UW via e-mail? I interviewed there are month ago and still haven't heard anything back from them yet.

11. hanpark520

Feb 5, 2007
    Yeah, I received an email last week. I interviewed at UW in January, so it was a long wait for me before hearing anything. If you need to make a decision about which school to attend and need to know soon, you can always contact the admissions office because I know a lot of people that heard about their acceptance that way.

I haven't gotten my packet yet.:p

12. tigger7222

tigger7222 7+ Year Member

Aug 30, 2006
    I sent my response in a couple of weeks ago as well and haven't received anything. I guess we have to be patient. Are any of you going to apply for internships? Do we have to wait for UW to send our names in before we can work as interns?

13. suntzu

suntzu 7+ Year Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    It could be awhile. Before working as an intern you need the license, which requires you to be enrolled. . .which only happens if the background check is OK. . .a check which only occurs when those forms and a complete set of transcripts have been received and OK'd. If they are waiting to batch these submissions it could be some time, as they're still conducting interviews this week. This gets sent in somewhere in the process:

https://fortress.wa.gov/doh/hpqa1/HPS4/Pharmacy/Documents/Pharmacist_Intern_App.pdf

I thought about interning this summer, but figured a better way for me to go is to job shadow as many and varied places as I can. I have a sum total of about 8 hours 'pharmacy experience'. :( I'd imagine some places would be more likely to let me volunteer with an intern license -- I haven't had much luck finding volunteer/shadowing opportunities as an 'applicant'.

14. liketrav

liketrav

Mar 7, 2007
  15. yawj797

yawj797 2+ Year Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Harborview seems to have a nice program for us.
    http://depts.washington.edu/pha/students/jobs.html

Suntzu, I think you might actually learn more by doing an internship than job shadowing. Plus you get paid as an intern, and would probably get nothing from shadowing.

16. dynorphin

dynorphin 2+ Year Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Date: 4/26/07
    Method of notice: Email first and snail mail later
    Stats: PCAT cum. score of 88%, Cum. GPA: 3.57

Notices should all be sent out soon because the final decisions have all been made on Tuesday.

17. liketrav

liketrav

Mar 7, 2007
    Anyone with information on the yearly cost to attend UW's PharmD program?

18. yawj797

yawj797 2+ Year Member

Feb 28, 2007
    I believe it's about $12000-13000/yr.

19. liketrav

liketrav

Mar 7, 2007
    Thanks for the response, however I think that your info is based on in-state tuition. Besides the annual out-of-state tuition (SY 06-07) of $23,575 ($7,859 a quarter), what are the other fees added to the cost of attendance?

Has anyone received their financial aid information which details the various expenses (tuition, fees, books, housing, etc.)? Just need to prepare for the shock:eek: !!!

On the other hand, my son is still deliriously happy that he will be attending UW in the fall!

:love: :hardy: :love: :hardy: :love: :hardy: :love: :hardy:

20. yawj797

yawj797 2+ Year Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Oops. I just naturally assumed that you're a WA resident.

Financial Aid hasn't been finalized yet. The office (Cher) sent us an email the other day regarding aid and requested that we complete an online UWSOP Financial Aid survey by Sept. 1. (I believe this is separate from the FAFSA)

You should have your son come to WA over the summer and do an internship to get some of that $23,000/yr back.:D

21. tigger7222

tigger7222 7+ Year Member

Aug 30, 2006
  22. senzabee

senzabee Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Out of curiosity, does anyone know typically how many people get pulled off UW's waitlist? I know someone on the waitlist with a good position, but UW does have a smaller class and I'm thinking the majority of those accepted are WA residents and wouldn't turn it down. Thanks!

23. dynorphin

dynorphin 2+ Year Member

Mar 12, 2007
    For the out-of-staters that are planning to attend UW, what are you guys doing to obtain the Washington resident's status?

24. dynorphin

dynorphin 2+ Year Member

Mar 12, 2007
    yay! that's awesome! Thanks :D

25. yawj797

yawj797 2+ Year Member

Feb 28, 2007
    I have a question.
    Does anyone know what kind of grades we need to have for Spring term after we were offered admissions. To be honest, I'm getting lazy and my grades aren't that great this term. The thing is I'm finished with all of UW's prereqs. and I'm only taking some crappy classes to end the year with. How much would they care?

26. suppaman808

suppaman808 2+ Year Member

Feb 14, 2007
    I think as long as your overall GPA doesn't change much it's ok. I just got the acceptance email and wondered the same thing. Michelene (however you spell her name) wasn't too clear about it. She just said something about maintaining your GPA so maybe even Cs are ok if you get As to balance it out.

27. senzabee

senzabee Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Hey congrats! Just wondering if you were accepted straight out or if you were placed on the waiting list and taken off. Thanks :)

28. suppaman808

Feb 14, 2007
    Off the waitlist. I feel very fortunate since I wasn't as prepared for the interview as I would have liked and I'm sure my writing sample wasn't very good... Here's a bit of info that may help your friend see where s/he stands. When I got the waitlist letter, I was #6. Also, UW took 14 people off the waitlist last year which is quite a bit in my opinion. The only thing is that the lady I spoke to said there were more washington residents who are accepted this year so there MAY be less people who will be pulled off but who knows. Hope this helps and good luck to your friend.

29. Ptl4Chairs

Ptl4Chairs

Mar 22, 2007
    Hey I was #2 on UWs waitlist. I turned them down... So for who ever is waiting and hoping to get in, there are still acceptance letters to be sent out! (I'm mailing my letter declining the spot today.) Best of luck to everyone:)

30. daraling

daraling Howdy Do! How Do You Do?

Hello everyone! I'll be attending UW this fall, too...
    A question for the out-of-state students, I was just wondering if you guys already recieved your financial aid statement, coz I just did. I'm kinda shocked only because the "total budget" says ~$43,000-do, ya'll know if this is the expected cost of school/living for 1 year? Thanks!

31. suppaman808

Feb 14, 2007
    When did you get accepted and when did you turn in those criminal hist waivers/acceptance papers? They just received my acceptance papers a few days ago so I may have to wait a few weeks on this. Did you get the financial aid statement along with the final acceptance letter and UW ID? I'm REALLY hoping to get WICHE support but we'll see how that goes after next month I think. Also, did you end up finding a place in Seattle? It's so unbelievably hard I'm 90% sure I'm going to opt for on-campus housing.

32. daraling

daraling Howdy Do! How Do You Do?

I found out about my acceptance on the 1st week of May; faxed/then mailed in the criminal/acceptance forms on the 2nd week; I mailed in my deposit on the 3rd week, and finally I just got my financial aid this weekend. I found my UW ID # on the deposit form, but I am not sure when we're suppose to get the PAC password to create an e-mail account. They also sent a form about mealses immunizations about the same time when I received the deposit notice, but turns out I didn't have to get the addt'l shot or mail the form to the Hall Health Center b/c we'll all have an appt. with an RN who will review all our shot records in the fall. Oh, and finding an apt. in Seattle...Good Luck coz it's been hard just searching online for hours @ a time. I just give up. I was hoping to check out some apartments when we have the registration orientation this summer.

33. andrewattheU

andrewattheU 7+ Year Member

May 17, 2007
    try going to http://www.thedaily.washington.edu/ and click on classifieds there are always apartments and houses listed for rent near UW since this is the newspaper for UW. If you have any other questions about finding somewhere to live in Seattle feel free to pm me.

34. kitkat06

kitkat06 2+ Year Member

Sep 8, 2006
    Where are all you recently accepted students from? Just curious :)

35. liketrav

liketrav

Mar 7, 2007
    My 20 year old son is from Hawaii and is extremely happy about attending UW in the fall. :hardy::laugh::love::D:)

36. hanpark520

Feb 5, 2007

I'm a UW student that just received my bachelors.:D