Recent Air Force HPSP grads, going back would you do the HPSP Scholarship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalboi

Reaction score
Hi, basically what time title says. I am currently applying for the 3 year Air Force HPSP scholarship and interview in a few days (lmk if you have any tips please). I have talked to a few dental students who are on the HPSP scholarship but I have not had the opportunity to talk to anyone who has recently graduated on the scholarship and are currently paying their time back. As a result, before getting myself in too deep, I wanted to ask if those of you who have completed dental school on the Air Force HPSP scholarship and are now serving, going back would you do it again? What are the pros? What are the cons? Did they actually give you one of your top 3 choices for your base/location? I would love to hear from you and thanks in advance for your help!!

tl;dr: Do you recommend the AF HPSP scholarship looking back? What are the pros and cons?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There is a spreadsheet on laptopsformilitarydocs that goes over some of the cost benefit analysis. Plug numbers in there.
From an education standpoint my AEGD has been great and I’ve learned a lot, and I felt pretty competent coming out of school.
Would I do it again? Yeah. I went to a expensive school and financially it made 100% sense. If you go to a cheaper school though, it might not be your best option.

It was worth it until it wasn't......
For the first few years during the payback years, it is hard to complain because you get to do slow dentistry (At least slower than productive private practice dentistry) and learn how to be a good dentist on someone else's dime. When your payback is up, you may start to feel like the scales have tipped in the AF favor to the point where you feel a bit used and abused. And NO, you have no guarantee of any sort on where you will be assigned. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying to you.

Reactions: 1 users