Recent business school graduate wants to go dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gaptooth

Pre-post-bach?
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before I get in to my question I would first like to thank all the contributors to this site, I have found all your posts to be extremely helpful as I research the dental school application process.

With that said, I would like some advice as I highly value the collective knowledge that this site offers.

I am a recent graduate of the University of Miami (in Florida... not OH) with a bachelors degree in Business. I did well in school (graduated with a 3.8 GPA and received departmental honors for my entrepreneurship major). Since graduation last year I’ve been working for about 9 months in the highly technical telecommunications/marketing industry. I’ve been doing very well in my position however I have become increasingly aware that I don’t feel I will ever come to love the desk work that I do (nor do I expect my love for the office/cubicle life to flourish in the future).

I have been seriously considered going back to school to acquire the (many) science pre-recs I would need to successfully apply to dental schools and do well on the DAT however I have a few questions.

1. Is a post-bach program (for career changers) the only method of fulfilling the science courses that I would need to apply to dental schools or are there other options available (does my recent graduate status change anything... or is that irrelevant)?
  2. If I can clearly express why I have found the office life so stifling during an interview/or on my applications will my time spent working hold me back from being viewed as a serious applicant
  3. And finally, if there are any Miami/Florida locals out there (don’t be shy) if you could recommend what programs I should look at. I understand Barry University and Nova are in my area (and that UM might even have an unstructured post-bach program).
Any thoughts or comments are appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you need to enroll in a post-bac program. Just complete the science pre-req's. Biology 1 & 2, General Chemistry 1 & 2, Organic Chemistry 1 & 2, Physics 1 & 2. Take the DAT, and you should be good. Your time spent working after graduating will not hinder you. Non-traditional applicants are welcome since they contribute to the diversity of the student body and in your case your business degree could be a good +.

I was a bio major and didn't go back and take any classes after I graduated, but my boyfriend was an econ major. Decided he wanted to go med school, so he just went back and took the necessary science pre-reqs. I don't think the graduate status changes anything. And I'm also under the impression that post-bac programs are mostly for students who took the science pre-reqs in undergrad but because their GPA was low needed to do the post-bac to improve their GPA and prove that they can handle the courseload of a doctoral program.....I could be wrong though. It's best to ask an advisor where you intend to take the pre-req classes.

Last edited:
I agree with lhtran07. I'm not sure on post-bacc programs, but I'm pretty sure that for all masters in medical science programs you need to have fulfilled all of the premed/dent requirements that you would have typically completed in undergrad.

You should definitely also try to shadow a dentist so you're even surer that you want to make the change. It shouldn't be difficult if you explain to your dentist, or even call one up locally that you're interested in a career in dentistry. Good luck!

Yupp forget post bacc. Just get the prereqs done and good luck