Recent graduate with a ~3.3 gpa ... Should I do a Post-Bac/SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YoungLee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a recent grad from UCSD with a double major in Biochem and management science ... The past year I took the MCAT and took some classes at UCLA extension, but have decided to switch to Pre-Dent. My ogpa is 3.3 and i have an upper div gpa of 3.226 for biochem.

I am going to start studying for the DAT soon and hope to land a research assistant position as well. I have worked at my uncle's dental clinic before for a summer but that was over 4 years ago. I have ER volunteer experience, and over 100 hours of non health volunteering through a comm service org. My other EC's deal with leadership in campus clubs/fraternities.

I really want to stay in California but I do realize my GPA is on the low side. Should I just do really well on the DAT and hope for the best? or do I take more classes and raise my GPA before applying?

Members don't see this ad.

You're right around the average accepted GPAs for Western, and you're in California, so thats a plus. I think you could give it a shot and see how you fare, but obviously killing the DAT is a must.

Hi, I'm a recent grad from UCSD with a double major in Biochem and management science ... The past year I took the MCAT and took some classes at UCLA extension, but have decided to switch to Pre-Dent. My ogpa is 3.3 and i have an upper div gpa of 3.226 for biochem.

I am going to start studying for the DAT soon and hope to land a research assistant position as well. I have worked at my uncle's dental clinic before for a summer but that was over 4 years ago. I have ER volunteer experience, and over 100 hours of non health volunteering through a comm service org. My other EC's deal with leadership in campus clubs/fraternities.

I really want to stay in California but I do realize my GPA is on the low side. Should I just do really well on the DAT and hope for the best? or do I take more classes and raise my GPA before applying?

hahahaha im a UCSD grad too, but w/ your GPA you have a shot @ WesternU. Just get some dental experience of 100+ hrs and as for DAT just aim high and dont settle for less. gl man if you land a interview @ WesternU let me know!

Members don't see this ad :)
can you explain to me how being a california resident is a plus when applying to dental school?

I would start shadowing a dentist now, so you can get some hours in and be able to get a LOR. I think if you do well on the DAT you should have a chance of getting in.

Is it not feasible for me to aim for the UC's or USC?

can you explain to me how being a california resident is a plus when applying to dental school?

it's if you apply to the public schools and some privates, they will prefer In state students over OOS based on what we see in ADEA data

It's feasible for USC, but w/ your GPA UC's will be very slim. Why would you choose USC anyways, it's a super expensive school

I had a o 3.35 and a sGPA of 3.21 when I applied and interviewed at two colleges. Have been rejected at one and waitlisted at another.

It was my DAT that was holding me back since I scored a 19.

Kill the DAT and increase thsoe GPAS

I had a o 3.35 and a sGPA of 3.21 when I applied and interviewed at two colleges. Have been rejected at one and waitlisted at another.

It was my DAT that was holding me back since I scored a 19.

Kill the DAT and increase thsoe GPAS

how many schools did you apply to?

It's feasible for USC, but w/ your GPA UC's will be very slim. Why would you choose USC anyways, it's a super expensive school

This. And WesternU over USC in my opinion any day.

With that said, I second what others are saying. UC schools are hyper competitive, and you really have to get that DAT AND GPA up to really be considered.

Since your upper-div GPA is lower than your oGPA, I would assume you had a downward trend in your last years? A UC is probably not in the cards, but, USC would probably give you an interview spot if you had a killer DAT. Western is more difficult to score an interview at than USC (in my opinion).

With your GPA, I would suggest applying to a lot of private schools outside of California.

You might have a really great story about why you want to become a dentist... But, considering you have to report that you took the MCAT, I would make sure that your story is air tight and doesn't suggest that you failed at your first choice and your just trying to find a plan B.

Would trying to raise my GPA do any good right now for the UC's or is it a lost cause??

Would trying to raise my GPA do any good right now for the UC's or is it a lost cause??

I don't think it's necessarily a lost cause. Just do your best to kill the DAT. I have a friend who had a gpa lower than yours and a 22AA, did a SMP, and got into ucsf last year.