Recent Late interest in Anesthesia, MS-III need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

james2333

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I know you guys must read these types of posts all the time so I apologize beforehand.

Applications for Sub-I's will be opening soon and I need some advice.

I just recently gained interest in Anesthesia. I was actually interested in a surgical subspecialty but I realized that I have other things that I'd like to do with my life. I am not trolling or looking for praises. I just have a specific location that I'm looking for and I know its competitive. So here I go....

3rd year Osteopathic Student
USMLE Step 1: >245
Comlex I: >600
Research: 1-2 pubs

I'm interested in staying on the west coast and I know its rare to find a DO friendly program in this area. What do you guys think? Which programs should I do Sub-I's in. I'm interested in going to an MD residency only

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't know much about Cali programs, so I can't answer the sub-I questions.
However, I see that you have an interest in research. So, in the longer term, you should consider going to either Hopkins or Birgham and Women's for the three years of residency (do a prelim in Cali). They are both outrageously good programs, welcome DOs, and with your interest in academics (research) and good scores on the USMLE, you'd be a stellar candidate for these programs. Cali is not open to DOs (exceptions maybe there), and instead of ending up at a mid-tier program in Cali, consider an East Coast powerhouse for residency and then consider a place like UCSF for fellowship.

Never mind California, come to Mayo Rochester in Minnesota.

DO friendly, lots of opportunity for research, mucho regional, great climate.

I am not at all involved with resident selection, so I recommend contacting our PD.

Members don't see this ad :)

I am not at all involved with resident selection, so I recommend contacting our PD.

+1 :thumbup:
Mayo is awesome.
Anesthesia does not typically attract hoards of researchers/academics. However, big programs need, and are eager to recruit, potential researchers/academics. So, if you have a decent background/proven interest in any kind of research..and..well..enough said...as you can see, people are already trying to recruit you. :laugh: Seriously, do your sub-I at Mayo.

I don't know much about Cali programs, so I can't answer the sub-I questions.
However, I see that you have an interest in research. So, in the longer term, you should consider going to either Hopkins or Birgham and Women's for the three years of residency (do a prelim in Cali). They are both outrageously good programs, welcome DOs, and with your interest in academics (research) and good scores on the USMLE, you'd be a stellar candidate for these programs. Cali is not open to DOs (exceptions maybe there), and instead of ending up at a mid-tier program in Cali, consider an East Coast powerhouse for residency and then consider a place like UCSF for fellowship.

Those east coast powerhouse programs aren't exactly a shoe-in either..for anyone, especially if he's from a west coast DO program since programs usually have regional bias. I know several people from MD program with step 1 >240 and multiple research who didn't get interview at some of these programs...especially brigham, they interview less people than say MGH or BI. So harder to get interviews but your chances are better if you get them.

Back to the question...Cali isn't exactly too friendly for DOs in general. Not sure if UCLA or UCSD take DOs. I think your best bet is USC, UCI or loma linda.

Those east coast powerhouse programs aren't exactly a shoe-in either..for anyone, especially if he's from a west coast DO program since programs usually have regional bias. I know several people from MD program with step 1 >240 and multiple research who didn't get interview at some of these programs...especially brigham, they interview less people than say MGH or BI. So harder to get interviews but your chances are better if you get them.

Back to the question...Cali isn't exactly too friendly for DOs in general. Not sure if UCLA or UCSD take DOs. I think your best bet is USC, UCI or loma linda.

http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsbystate2012.pdf

2 DO's out of 148 spots... my friend tried to land a DO spot last year in Cali he had scores similar to yours unfortunately he didn't even get an interview, i think of all the programs only UCD really considers DOs, maybe try and Sub-I there?

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all your input. You guys are awesome.

I'd be willing to look into east coast programs, but I'm very close to my family and I have close members that are ill. For that reason, it would be ideal to stay close to home, I've been away from home for quite some time. My school is actually not in California.

I guess I'll try to contact UCSD, USC and Loma Linda for sub-I's.

I'm not exactly sure what to expect come fourth year. I was already interested in surgery so I knew what the competition was like, getting letters, I knew that research was extremely important and the importance of Sub-I's down the stretch... I'm not sure if this is the same with anesthesia. Should I take my Step 2 exams early as well? Are the Sub-I's heavy on pimping and knowledge based evaluation?

Thank you guys for all your help. I tried looking a lot of this stuff up in different forums and its hard to tell what to expect. Everyone says something different.

I'd be willing to look into east coast programs, but I'm very close to my family and I have close members that are ill. For that reason, it would be ideal to stay close to home, I've been away from home for quite some time. My school is actually not in California.

I'm not exactly sure what to expect come fourth year. I was already interested in surgery so I knew what the competition was like, getting letters, I knew that research was extremely important and the importance of Sub-I's down the stretch... I'm not sure if this is the same with anesthesia. Should I take my Step 2 exams early as well? Are the Sub-I's heavy on pimping and knowledge based evaluation?

Thank you guys for all your help. I tried looking a lot of this stuff up in different forums and its hard to tell what to expect. Everyone says something different.

I'd scratch UCSD from your list its not DO friendly at all from what i gathered - try to focus on usc, loma linda, and like another person said UCD has taken DO's in the past. Its tough but not impossible - good luck! :luck:

Oh yea.. maybe try Harbor? From what I know about Cali anesthesia programs Harbor is usually known as the easiest to get into.

+1 :thumbup:
Mayo is awesome.
Anesthesia does not typically attract hoards of researchers/academics. However, big programs need, and are eager to recruit, potential researchers/academics. So, if you have a decent background/proven interest in any kind of research..and..well..enough said...as you can see, people are already trying to recruit you. :laugh: Seriously, do your sub-I at Mayo.

To kill two birds with one stone, is Mayo Scottsdale any good? That is only 6 hours drive from SoCal.

I'd take step 2 early if I were you. It's nice to have a "complete package" when applying with all cards on the table.

As far as Sub-I's, it depends on the program but there usually is a fair amount of pimping, but not to the degree you'd see with ortho (fx conferences etc). You should have a decent understanding of the most commonly used drugs, anatomy, physiology so that you can have intelligent conversations with residents and attendings. One of the most important things is just being a hard worker and a likeable person.

I hope you mean "great climate" within the department/program, because the weather is BRUTAL.

Can you guys help me out with any more tips?

4th year is approaching very fast. I actually took Step 2 last month and got my score back...I know it was a little early but I ended up doing pretty well. I'm not sure how much it matters in Anesthesia, b/c in surgery it didn't mean much at all.

Osteopathic student
Top 10%
Step 1: High 240s , Step 2: >260
Research: few published articles in surgical field.

Because I'm late in the game I don't know any anesthesiologists except the one's I met during my surgery rotations. Don't know them well enough for them to write me a letter of rec. I was interested in ortho and I'm kind of abandoning that idea now. I know it was all about doing Sub-I's and getting LOR from program directors, chairs etc. Is this true with anesthesia? Do I need three LOR from anesthesiologists? How important are the Sub-I's in anesthesia? I'm interested in Loma Linda, UCI and UCSD in particular. UCSD and UCI don't except DO's for sub-I's.
Thanks for all your help everyone.

Last edited:

4th year is approaching very fast. I actually took Step 2 last month and got my score back...I know it was a little early but I ended up doing pretty well. I'm not sure how much it matters in Anesthesia, b/c in surgery it didn't mean much at all.

Osteopathic student
Top 10%
Step 1: 246, Step 2: >260

Because I'm late in the game I don't know any anesthesiologists except the one's I met during my surgery rotations. Don't know them well enough for them to write me a letter of rec. I was interested in ortho and I'm kind of abandoning that idea now. I know it was all about doing Sub-I's and getting LOR from program directors, chairs etc. Is this true with anesthesia? Do I need three LOR from anesthesiologists? How important are the Sub-I's in anesthesia? I'm interested in Loma Linda, UCI and UCSD in particular. UCSD and UCI don't except DO's for sub-I's.

Ok - so I think my experiences may be relevant to you - our bio's are similar - DO student, top 10% of the class, better than average test scores (250s on step I/II), research (I have a doctorate), pubs, and I, too, wished to return to my native southern california to train.

it is grim, my friend.

I applied to every west coast program - my DO school is East coast, so that probably didn't help.

I received 1 interview, extended to me in November, to Harbor. Thats it.

I did a SICU rotation at UCI, met and seemingly got along with the assistant director of the anesthesia program- Still, no dice and now it sounds like they're freezing us out of rotations. Rumor mill says that the new director is DO negative, but that's the rumor mill. My feeling is this - if they wont take you for a Sub-i, they wont take you as a resident. So, that means UCSD is probably out of the question too. (USC also, but again, I am not speaking from authority)

Cedars is open to DO students for rotations - I did a Sub-i there, but they received 1300 applications this year and they are still "newly established" as a separate residency (even though they having been teaching as part of UCLA forever). Dunno if that matters. Anyway, they rejected me before I came for my rotation. I didn't ask for a courtesy interview when I got there because A) they ALREADY didn't want me and B)once I got there, I knew it wouldn't have been a good fit anyway.

Loma Linda - again, I didn't get a chance to rotate there. And I didn't get an interview so...there.
equivocal result, really.

So...Harbor - I didn't rotate there (I tried, they filled up), and they offered me an interview. I think the fact that I made all efforts to rotate there may have weighed in my favor. I was not the only DO there on my interview day either. I think that speaks well to their openness. My life situation made moving away from california just so much more advantageous and the program I chose was a much better fit for me than Harbor

There is a DO who is a CA-1 or 2 at UCLA main campus, I spoke to him at WARC - he was from western (I think) and did Sub-i's at both UCLA and UCSF. He collaborated with a professor at UCLA on a research projects, rocked out his boards, and generally made his presence known at UCLA. UCSF didnt extend him an interview after his Sub-i, which he passed with honors. He was not very optimistic regarding UCLA's openness to DO's. He felt that any DO would have to rotate at UCLA to have a shot.

Earlier in this forum, someone mentioned East coast schools and prestigious programs that are DO friendly. I also believe this to be the case. One of my classmates was interviewed at Hopkins. I interviewed at Penn. I should have applied to the Cleveland Clinic. Hell, I should have applied at Hopkins or MGH. Texas and the big midwestern programs were very open to me and my friends. I ended up ranking one of those big midwestern programs as my number one and got it.

LOR - My letters were written by a PP anesthesiologist, a PP orthopedic surgeon, and a family practice doc who is a dean at my school and a clinical preceptor. All of your letters need not be from anesthesiologists - all you need is one. A letter from a surgeon is a good alternative second letter, and many programs are explicit - they require 1 anesthesia letter, and the second should either be anesthesia or surgery. The third letter (some require three) should probably also be either anesthesia or surgery, but I bet you IM would be good as well, particularly an intensivist. As I said, my third was a strong letter from a FP doc. And, again, I got my first choice training program.

You sound like a supremely competitive student. In your situation, I would make every effort to rotate at the west coast programs that will take DO MS 4's, and also be open to moving to cold weather. Get that anesthesia letter squared away before September. Be nice to everybody. Play smart. Be excellent.

Reactions: 1 user

Osteopathic student
Top 10%
Step 1: 246, Step 2: >260

Seriously, I'd scratch UCI and UCSD from your list - if you want to apply for fun go ahead but focus on (ie do a sub-i there) places that actually take a serious look at DO's - Loma Linda, UCD, and Harbor.

Last edited:
Ok - so I think my experiences may be relevant to you - our bio's are similar - DO student, top 10% of the class, better than average test scores (250s on step I/II), research (I have a doctorate), pubs, and I, too, wished to return to my native southern california to train.

it is grim, my friend.

I applied to every west coast program - my DO school is East coast, so that probably didn't help.

I received 1 interview, extended to me in November, to Harbor. Thats it.

I did a SICU rotation at UCI, met and seemingly got along with the assistant director of the anesthesia program- Still, no dice and now it sounds like they're freezing us out of rotations. Rumor mill says that the new director is DO negative, but that's the rumor mill. My feeling is this - if they wont take you for a Sub-i, they wont take you as a resident. So, that means UCSD is probably out of the question too. (USC also, but again, I am not speaking from authority)

Cedars is open to DO students for rotations - I did a Sub-i there, but they received 1300 applications this year and they are still "newly established" as a separate residency (even though they having been teaching as part of UCLA forever). Dunno if that matters. Anyway, they rejected me before I came for my rotation. I didn't ask for a courtesy interview when I got there because A) they ALREADY didn't want me and B)once I got there, I knew it wouldn't have been a good fit anyway.

Loma Linda - again, I didn't get a chance to rotate there. And I didn't get an interview so...there.
equivocal result, really.

So...Harbor - I didn't rotate there (I tried, they filled up), and they offered me an interview. I think the fact that I made all efforts to rotate there may have weighed in my favor. I was not the only DO there on my interview day either. I think that speaks well to their openness. My life situation made moving away from california just so much more advantageous and the program I chose was a much better fit for me than Harbor

There is a DO who is a CA-1 or 2 at UCLA main campus, I spoke to him at WARC - he was from western (I think) and did Sub-i's at both UCLA and UCSF. He collaborated with a professor at UCLA on a research projects, rocked out his boards, and generally made his presence known at UCLA. UCSF didnt extend him an interview after his Sub-i, which he passed with honors. He was not very optimistic regarding UCLA's openness to DO's. He felt that any DO would have to rotate at UCLA to have a shot.

Earlier in this forum, someone mentioned East coast schools and prestigious programs that are DO friendly. I also believe this to be the case. One of my classmates was interviewed at Hopkins. I interviewed at Penn. I should have applied to the Cleveland Clinic. Hell, I should have applied at Hopkins or MGH. Texas and the big midwestern programs were very open to me and my friends. I ended up ranking one of those big midwestern programs as my number one and got it.

LOR - My letters were written by a PP anesthesiologist, a PP orthopedic surgeon, and a family practice doc who is a dean at my school and a clinical preceptor. All of your letters need not be from anesthesiologists - all you need is one. A letter from a surgeon is a good alternative second letter, and many programs are explicit - they require 1 anesthesia letter, and the second should either be anesthesia or surgery. The third letter (some require three) should probably also be either anesthesia or surgery, but I bet you IM would be good as well, particularly an intensivist. As I said, my third was a strong letter from a FP doc. And, again, I got my first choice training program.

You sound like a supremely competitive student. In your situation, I would make every effort to rotate at the west coast programs that will take DO MS 4's, and also be open to moving to cold weather. Get that anesthesia letter squared away before September. Be nice to everybody. Play smart. Be excellent.

This is a damn shame. A doctorate baller candidate. Your program is lucky to have you. When I was at WARC overheard the UCLA residents joking about how they tell their family members having surgery "no DOs and no CRNAs". Ridiculous.

Thank you guys for all your advice. I really appreciate it. After looking at your posts I've decided to cast a wider net.

Are there any solid programs that you guys would recommend applying to as a DO? I would'nt mind living in Texas, Florida, Chicago and New York (although it sounds like NY is DO unfriendly as well).

Also, I'm currently involved in several research projects that will be published soon and a research project on NS device with patent in June. I'm also presenting at a national conference this month. None of if it anesthesia related. Will this hurt me? Should I continue with my research or spend my time focusing on other things? Right now I have 0 anesthesia letters, I have letters from several prominent department chairs/attendings including neurosurgery, orthopedic surgery and plastics. Are letters from surgeons ok or do all three of my letters need to be from anesthesiologists?

Thank you guys for all your advice. I really appreciate it. After looking at your posts I've decided to cast a wider net.

Are there any solid programs that you guys would recommend applying to as a DO? I would'nt mind living in Texas, Florida, Chicago and New York (although it sounds like NY is DO unfriendly as well).

Also, I'm currently involved in several research projects that will be published soon and a research project on NS device with patent in June. I'm also presenting at a national conference this month. None of if it anesthesia related. Will this hurt me? Should I continue with my research or spend my time focusing on other things? Right now I have 0 anesthesia letters, I have letters from several prominent department chairs/attendings including neurosurgery, orthopedic surgery and plastics. Are letters from surgeons ok or do all three of my letters need to be from anesthesiologists?

UTHouston and UT San Antonio are solid, DO friendly programs in Texas.

I would get 1 letter from an anesthesiologist (definitely not all 3). Surgeons are fine to have as letter writers. Personally, I had 2 anesthesia, 1 IM, and 1 general surgery letter.

From above -

All of your letters need not be from anesthesiologists - all you need is one.
A letter from a surgeon is a good alternative second letter, and many programs are explicit - they require 1 anesthesia letter, and the second should either be anesthesia or surgery. The third letter (some require three) should probably also be either anesthesia or surgery, but I bet you IM would be good as well, particularly an intensivist. my third was a strong letter from a FP doc.

Programs:
I wouldn't say new york is DO unfriendly per se. Its probably program specific. I had interviews at St. Lukes/Roosevelt, Suny Brooklyn, Maimonides, and NYMC/Westchester MC.

I couldn't speak for NYU or columbia.

Pennsylvania/Ohio area
Philadelphia programs seem pretty high yield - temple, drexel, jefferson (PD is a DO), Penn (high flying academic program),
UPMC
Geisinger
Case western uh
Case western metro
Cleveland clinic

From my class we had 14 people match anesthesiology - their programs are as follows:

UTMB
Ohio state
U of kentucky
U of iowa
Case western uh
Albany
U of buffalo
Temple
Shands at u of florida
Cleveland clinic south point (osteopathic)
Suny upstate
U conn

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using SDN Mobile

Thanks for all the help guys.

Does anyone know if Beth Israel (BIDMCO) Is still osteopathic friendly?