Recent MCAT verbal section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbrush

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
congrats to everyone who just received their score on the most recent mcat. i was just wondering how important it is to have consistent scores across the 3 sections. i scored a 12 in physical, a 12 in biological and a 9 in verbal. is this going to seriously hurt my chances? can a well articulated personal statement eliminate or at least alleviate the importance placed on a poor verbal score? any advice would be greatly appreciated.

jamie

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on the great BS and PS score. Verbal is the most difficult section (in my opinion) on the MCAT. I think the score altogether will get your foot in the door (interviews) and if the verbal score comes up then explain it as you had posted "in an articulate manner". If I were you I wouldn't retake. More info on your other stuff, i.e. GPA, ECs might help other people respond to your thread.

FYI, 9 is not a horrible score for verbal.

The Dean of admissions at one of the schools told me that they are looking for people with 9s or above on VR because a >=9 score correlates to passing the boards, so I think you made the cutoff.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you guys find the verbal section on the April 05 test way different than on previously released AAMC tests? For example, more logic, LSAT-type passages??

People are probably going to ream me or call me a troll for asking this, but oh well. I am genuinely curious. My breakdown is 11PS, 13VR, 14BS (R on WS). Are adcoms going to care that my PS score is lower than the other two sections? It just doesn't seem very balanced to me, and I'd like to apply to some top 20 schools...

no...11 PS is just fine. and your overall score is great. is your gpa good? you definitely have a top 20 shot i would say, unless your gpa is very very low

JustBreathe said:
People are probably going to ream me or call me a troll for asking this, but oh well. I am genuinely curious. My breakdown is 11PS, 13VR, 14BS (R on WS). Are adcoms going to care that my PS score is lower than the other two sections? It just doesn't seem very balanced to me, and I'd like to apply to some top 20 schools...

oh man. it's all over for you now. with a PS score as low as that, you may as well abandon any and all med dreams you've got. i would recommend you rethink your career plans and go back to carpentry school.

in fact, there isn't even any point in living any longer, with a 38R. you may as well end your life.

kill yourself.

HAHAHAHAH

thank you perfectmoment for expressing my more sarcastic side

i tried to answer this guy with some measure of seriousness, since he clearly is worried about his "pathetic" PS score

Hey, I'm female! I have a 4.0 at a small private school (psychology/biology double major). It's not that I thought the PS score was low, just that the three sections might be seen as unbalanced.

sorry! anyway, you should be just fine...all your stats are great. i'm envious!

Thanks. Sorry if I come across as a troll. I was accused of being one in my first post ever! In reality I'm just a perfectionist pre-med...

JustBreathe said:
Hey, I'm female! I have a 4.0 at a small private school (psychology/biology double major). It's not that I thought the PS score was low, just that the three sections might be seen as unbalanced.

Well, seeing that you have a 4.0 as a biology and psychology major. Such asymmetry in your MCAT might reflect badly since obviously they might assume that your knowledge of physical sciences just get a freaking life and quit whining.

TheMightyAngus said:
Well, seeing that you have a 4.0 as a biology and psychology major. Such asymmetry in your MCAT might reflect badly since obviously they might assume that your knowledge of physical sciences just get a freaking life and quit whining.

That was helpful, thanks.