Recent Oral Board and OSCE Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BB80

Reaction score
Ok, so I have been lurking on here since I started med school in 2009. I am finally posting for the first time ever because while there is some awesome info on here about the oral board experience, I had a terrible last 3 weeks waiting for my SOE/OSCE results. Fortunately, I found out yesterday that I passed. It was, hands down, the most elated I have ever felt regarding a test result. Since the 2018 exam dates are complete, I hope the following can help someone during the next round of board exams.

I started reading Yao about 6 months before I took the exam. It was a poor choice. 6 months will burn you out, and you're unlikely to remember much detail from that far out. I started really studying with another person about 4 months prior to my test. He and I would get together 1-2 times a week and go over UBP stems. We ramped up to 2-3 sessions a week in the month before the test. At that point I was reading about 5 nights a week for 1-2 hrs. I took 5 "formal" board style exams from past/present examiners in my city I had gotten to know along the way.

I'll pause here to say that as much as I found these "formal" practice exams to be helpful, the actual exam was much more disorienting and difficult. This is because in my actual exam all 4 examiners cut me off much sooner and more abruptly/aggressively than any of the examiners I had practiced with. I dont know if this was due to bias of having a prior relationship with those that I took practice exam from, but I suspect that was the case.

I slowed down practice the week before the test. This was also a mistake. A few people on this forum have talked about how "of course it's a knowledge test". Yes that's true, but you wont fail for saying "I don't know" about the mechanism for a particular drug. You can, however, easily fail for not answering your questions efficiently or prioritizing what you would do in a given situation. A VERY COMMON situation I did not expect to encounter was that I would have a really well-formulated answer for a question but wouldn't get to the key aspect of my answer before getting cut off by the examiner with another question. This led to many questions that I felt I answered somewhat poorly- not because of inadequate preparation, but because I expected to have more that 1.5 sentences to explain myself. This is huge, and I didn't incorporate this into my studying very well at all.

I felt very prepared for the test prior to exam day. I honestly thought I would walk out knowing I had passed. That's not at all what happened. Walking into the first room all my calm, collected thoughts were suddenly gone. Several of the questions the examiner asked I knew the answer to but couldn't come up with in time. Overall, though, I felt ok after finishing the first stem. Second stem I had decent notes on, but the examiner quickly saw through the patient problems I had "prepared for" during the 10 min. allowed, and steered me completely away from them. I got rattled and threw out some dumb answers. By the time I hit the extra topics I was a mess. And I didn't make it through my last extra topic.

I then went to the OSCE which went fairly well. If you study the outline and resources presented on the ABA website, I can't see why it would present too much difficulty. Perhaps that's oversimplifying it, but by the time I took it I was really just focused on NOT thinking about my SOE.

The three weeks that followed were hell. There were only 2-3 things I had to look up because I genuinely did not know the answer. For everything else, I just mentally rehashed my answers and beat myself up for not answering them better. There were some days I felt that it was more likely than not that I passed. More often, however, I mentally prepared to see "failed" on score day and prayed that somehow I was just imagining the worst. I tried to imagine how I would explain to people that I couldn't pass the final test of my training. Explain how the first test I ever failed was perhaps the most important one. Told myself that "life would go on", and tried to estimate how much prep I would have to do before the next attempt. But honestly, if I had to take it again tomorrow, I know I would do markedly better with no additional studying. I am certain of it. And finally, I promised myself that if I did pass I would write this so that next time someone is searching the forums for a similar experience they would stumble onto this post and find some hope.

Finally, this past Monday came- the ABA should have released the scores that day. I started checked at 9:30. I checked about twice an hour. Finally gave up at about 3pm. I guess they observed Veteran's day. Regardless, I finally got my "pass" on Tuesday. I'm still partially shocked and completely elated. Everyone I have talked to always says "if you feel like you failed, but didn't do anything really dumb, you passed". As it turns out, I guess that's probably true. But if you're reading this, feeling like I did for the majority of the last 3 weeks, just know there is hope.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
congrats and thanks for giving back to the community.

Keys IMHO:
Materials: It is a knowledge test in part but don’t oversource. At this point in your career you should have a good foundation. UBP is key IMO, the answers are part what to practice to say and another part review of knowledge material. Other sources could be the Ho book (lengthy but good review), any study guide you had for the written.

Practice: HUGE HUGE. And not just a passive review with a friend, co resident or colleague, actually use the opportunity to get used to the PACE. That’s the biggest difference I felt from good practice examiners and the real thing, keeping up the pace because the examiners do. So have your partner keep the pace going and to jab you with the WHY X,Y,Z questions when you give a choice because that’s what they do. The question your choices, not because they think it’s always wrong but they want you to defend it, so mentally prepare for that. Also have the spiels for the classic stuff hypotension, hypoxia, ACLS/PALS/NALS, Increased peak pressures, anaphylaxis etc down cold where you can just go into a trance and spit them out...not only does that give you a way to be knowledgeable but if your stuck or having a brain Fart having that ability can sometimes jog your memory and get you on the right path and youre not blankly starring at them. Practice your pace as well....don’t be afraid to gather your thoughts for a few seconds before spitting anything out, try to get rid of the “AAAH, UMMMS” and dont’ rush.

Time Frame: Honestly you can start reviewing knowledge stuff a 3-4 months prior but actual focused ramped up practice with UBP and gearing up for the test I don’t think should be any longer then 6-8 weeks. But finding someone to practice with and making the most of that time is key. try to find people who’ve been board examiners if possible of those who’ve taken the test.

OSCE: What everyone has said, go over the outline on the ABA site and you’ll be fine. It’s time consuming and a little draining and those who take it before the oral portion can get fatigued so prepare

After: I was sure I failed and could only think of what I felt went wrong. It didn’t. So keep yourself busy...they’ve all been coming out two weeks after the Monday Following your test week ( holidays that fall on a Monday apparently). It’s a subjective, crappy process but you’ll practice speaking over and over and you’ll likely be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When people say UBP, what is that exactly? Can someone please post a link? Is it a book or prep class? Thanks!!

UBP= Ultimate board prep. A review course you can buy.

Something mentioned by cf817 that is really, really, really true: don't let them bully you on pace. I made this mistake and regret it. No, you can't take 5-10 seconds to start talking after each question or you'll fail. BUT you can slow down the test by taking intentional pauses. It will feel weird, but let's you give a coherent answer instead of crap. The instinct is to match the examiners pace, but they are basically just reading questions. Slowing down can definitely help, and let you control the pace a bit.

Reactions: 1 user