Recent Oral Board Takers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acidbase1

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone received results yet? Someone said there was an email stating it may take more than 2 weeks?

Members don't see this ad.

anyone received results yet? Someone said there was an email stating it may take more than 2 weeks?

I was the one who mentioned the email in another thread. If you took the test, I imagine you got it too. Tomorrow marks the 3-week mark for the earliest test-takers (3/5/18), so even if results come out tomorrow they are a full week late. If they come out by the end of the week, that makes them almost 2 weeks later than the explicitly stated 2-week turnaround.

I have not heard of anyone getting results back yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Ugh the pain. Wonder if it’ll be standardized? Or if they’ll just make the earlier test takers wait bc of the OSCE

Members don't see this ad :)
ABA portal has been down for maintenance since a little before 8am eastern time, results may come out today (?)

MCAT: $350, 7hrs
Step 1: $610, 8hrs
Step 2 CS: $1200, 8hrs
Step 2 CK: $600, 9hrs
Step 3: $800, 12hrs
AKT 1, 6, 24: 9hrs
ITE 1,2,3, 4: 16hours
ABA Basic: $775, 4hrs
ABA Advanced: $775, 4 hrs
ABA SOE/OSCE: $2000, 4hrs

Total Price: $7000
Total Hours of testing: 81

MOCA: Priceless (and timeless), right?

Reactions: 7 users
Whew what a relief. Congratulations to all, hope everyone got good news today!

Passed after all, nice

Reactions: 1 users
I’d be willing to bet they wanted more data points from OSCE portion from last weeks test takers.

The e-mail last week explicitly said they needed more time to score the OSCE - for most of the them there is no examiner in the room and there isn't a double mirror either so they probably have to review each examinee's video of their performance which probably takes forever.

Either way, mega-happy to have passed and move on. It came out pretty promptly this morning.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everyone who passed! What did y'all do to prep for the oral portion? For the OSCE? What was most helpful?

Used Ultimate Board Prep for orals and thought it was great. Didn't use anything else, so can't speak of other books in comparison.

For OSCEs I used the ABA provided PDF which is great for what they want you to be able to ID on U/S and Echo views. Scroll down to the bottom for U/S anatomy and Echo views.

http://www.theaba.org/PDFs/APPLIED-Exam/OSCE-Exemplar-Scenarios

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The e-mail last week explicitly said they needed more time to score the OSCE - for most of the them there is no examiner in the room and there isn't a double mirror either so they probably have to review each examinee's video of their performance which probably takes forever.

Either way, mega-happy to have passed and move on. It came out pretty promptly this morning.

Spoke to a doc I work with who's an examiner. Yes, for the majority of stations which don't have an examiner in the room, those are scored by examiners watching the video of the "encounter". However, it doesn't take any longer than it took you to complete the station/encounter and they are graded same day (or at latest, next day), so I can't speak to why it would take so long to actually grade the exam as a whole.

Congrats to everyone who passed! What did y'all do to prep for the oral portion? For the OSCE? What was most helpful?

Personally, the rapid review oral book was a great resource as I was gearing up for studying mode. Then I hit UPB, including doing practices with my wife (non-medical) and my co-fellows. I had an old version of PDFs which was totally fine, got through 4 of 6 books. Make sure you are practicing, even if it’s out loud in front of the mirror. Practice with actual examiners is very, very helpful but if you don’t have many around I’d recommend just oral boards for online practice, it’s a little expensive but incredibly helpful for me personally and only did 4 sessions.

For OSCE (and SOE) be sure to watch all the videos on the ABA website. Some of the scenarios were verbatim from the samples, and the outline is explicit on what ultrasound skills you need to know. Of course I didn’t have the TEE station as a cardiac fellow :confused:. The OSCEs feel much more legitimate and less forced than Step 2 CS, but it’s sort of the same idea.

Used Ultimate Board Prep for orals and thought it was great. Didn't use anything else, so can't speak of other books in comparison.

For OSCEs I used the ABA provided PDF which is great for what they want you to be able to ID on U/S and Echo views. Scroll down to the bottom for U/S anatomy and Echo views.

http://www.theaba.org/PDFs/APPLIED-Exam/OSCE-Exemplar-Scenarios

Wow wish I had seen this form of the PDF before he exam. However, after looking at it I got the stuff they asked so I guess it’s a wash.

I took mine March 6. Got results yesterday morning. Passed!! Now someone buy my UBP books!!

Did your status on the ABA physician search change?

Did your status on the ABA physician search change?

Yes but for the day that the results come out they disable the search function so people can look up their results first and not have to hear news from other people. The ABA turned the search function back on the next morning.

I think someone in another thread said something about results being posted there (ABA provider search) first, but that wasn't the case for us.

Hi,

Took the oral boards last week...do you recall getting an email about MOCA a few days after taking the test or did all the MOCA info come after the official results were out? I’m anxious about my results and just want to know if that means something. I’ll probably find out Monday but just wondering...

Link to MOCA was on the ABA website right underneath the front page with your exam result.

I think the OSCE is low yield for this exam. I would be hard pressed to believe anyone who rocks the oral portion will fail from the OSCE. that being said, I have students who say that <link deleted by mod> does a good job with OSCE.

Rapid review book I don't know too much about

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys think we will get the second round of results this week?

Looks like it’s going to be Monday

Nope, common sense that’s what they did for the first group

Nope, common sense that’s what they did for the first group
Ok...I figured too. Just making sure I didn’t miss anything. Would have been nice if the ABA kept us in the loop!

That means they’re uploading scores correct?

Good luck to everyone getting scores today.

By the way, anyone interested in practicing UBP questions over Skype? My exam is in May.

Passed. Seriously one of the best feelings I’ve ever had. Decade of hard work and dedication in the books

Reactions: 7 users
Someone explain how this MOCA BS works now lol

Is the score usually coming back exactly from the 2 week mark? For example if exam taken Monday April 9 should be back today, etc? Or does it tend to be later?

Anyone who passed the orals receive a written score report in the mail? Was under the impression we would receive one but maybe not. All I got was the certification letter and moca 2.0 materials.

Anyone who passed the orals receive a written score report in the mail? Was under the impression we would receive one but maybe not. All I got was the certification letter and moca 2.0 materials.

D00D you didn’t get a top 10% letter??

The Monday after two weeks have passed.

So essentially 2.5-3 weeks for your "week" of test takers.

So next Monday (at least based on the two previous cohorts).

The Monday after two weeks have passed.

So essentially 2.5-3 weeks for your "week" of test takers.

So next Monday (at least based on the two previous cohorts).

Well that's not the 2 weeks they advertised...

Thanks for the info