Recent Oral Board Takers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats. Care to share with a failure case how you studied?

I just did UBP two times through and had a study partner I did mocks with a bunch. Did about 7-8 full mocks with staff who are board examiners....practice is key...get to the point where you can just spit through diffs if you get in a bind and a lot of times it'll help the thinking process if you hit a wall. I used ranger red briefly to practice outlining and I had an old ranger red audio I would listen to in the car. I had too many resources, the HO book is great if you have time but it's basically the size of miller. Flash cards weren't too useful. Knowing the high yield diffs and then being prepared for follow up "why?" questions to everything you mention are pretty big. Just tell them how you would honestly do the case and be prepared to defend it and just be safe. Easy to say in hindsight, I was a wreck but b/c of all the practice I was able to just go with what I had retained and still put on a passable exam.

Members don't see this ad.

How did you study this time? How do you plan to change your plan of attack?

I didn’t study enough I can say for sure. I got through only 2 books of ultimate board prep.

And the UBP answers are way too long. The real test is nothing like that. You have to be to the point.

The thing is, one of the topics was on a disease process so rare, it doesn’t even appear in the board prep books.

Ultimately, I think I just forgot too much since residency. I just need to study all the material again. They say it’s not a knowledge test, but of course it is.

One of my stems was a very rare disease that I didn’t remember a lot about Also.

I Was also caught off guard by some of the knowledge questions and I too only got through like half of UBP and didn’t have anyone to practice with because I’m in private practice for over a year now.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my stems was a very rare disease that I didn’t remember a lot about Also.

I Was also caught off guard by some of the knowledge questions and I too only got through like half of UBP and didn’t have anyone to practice with because I’m in private practice for over a year now.

I started my first PP gig two weeks before the exam. I feel your pain. I barely had my bearings here and needless to say, I didn’t study much in the weeks leading up to it as I was moving/getting settled in my new job. Sigh. At least I passed the OSCE? Lol. A shred of positive? Does any poor soul fail that part ??

I was fortunate to be in an academic center with ample opportunity to practice. But I think the common key here is not enough reading through a main source such as UBP. The answers are really long, but it's not the expectation you will say all of that, it's half practice of how to say things and then just reading through them as a review of the knowledge needed. If you can't get people to practice or can't get through the material I'd shell out for a live course.

I did one mock oral stem in residency a few years ago with a 1st-year board examiner and two a week before the boards with a partner who just passed. Studied UBP, got through every book and practiced verbalizing my answers on the more important questions until they were fluid. But during the exam I was mostly just picturing the scenarios in terms of cases I'd actually done. One room didn't really question the things I said too hard and I think reading UBP helped me anticipate some of their questions because I had to repeat my answers twice. The other room started cutting me off before I could get that far, and then asked me questions that I would have preempted anyway. I guess the way I see it, your critical thinking is done in your own cases and in studying. During the exam, it's mostly just remembering what you already did for your own patients and being able to apply it and justify it to the examiners. The nice thing about that is when you're nervous, it's easier to remember than to think.

Last edited:
I’m might ask for a score recheck. The more I think about it, the less likely a failure seems. They write on their website that such a score verification has never found an error. Good to know they’re infallible! What condescension.

I keep thinking that I didn’t explain my reasoning well enough but the examiners kept cutting me off and rapid firing questions and controlling the flow of the exam at such a fast pace that I don’t feel like I had any time to explore reasoning with them

I’m also increasingly angry that such an expensive and inconvenient test doesn’t have explicit detail about how to pass straight from the horse’s mouth

I keep thinking that I didn’t explain my reasoning well enough but the examiners kept cutting me off and rapid firing questions and controlling the flow of the exam at such a fast pace that I don’t feel like I had any time to explore reasoning with them

I’m also increasingly angry that such an expensive and inconvenient test doesn’t have explicit detail about how to pass straight from the horse’s mouth

I very much agree. I’m ...numb.

For the first time in my life, I wish I hadn’t gone into anesthesia. This test is a joke. It’s pure garbage, and everybody knows it. We should demand its abolition.

If I weren’t about to win $1.6 billion dollars on Tuesday, I’d be very upset.

Reactions: 3 users
Seems like the common thread is just not enough studying. I went through UBP 1-6 twice while in CCM fellowship and by the 2nd time I felt like I had the answers down pat. Also did some ABA old exams a couple times and read some relevant sections of Yao. If you know the UBP books cold, it doesnt matter if you get a rare disease because you'll be nailing all the common parts of the stem you do know and getting all the grab bags.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the advice about this test was way off.

If you don’t know the right answers and have them on the tip of your tongue you’ll lose points on your answers and lose points by not finishing. This is more than anything a knowledge test, not an explain your reasoning be safe test. I had knowledge questions fired at me for the whole test, with maybe one situation in the entire test that called for reasoning in a dynamic situation.

Last edited:
I think the advice about this test was way off.

If you don’t know the right answers and have them on the tip of your tongue you’ll lose points on your answers and lose points by not finishing. This is more than anything a knowledge test, not an explain your reasoning be safe test. I had knowledge questions fired at me for the whole test, with maybe one situation in the entire test that called for reasoning in a dynamic situation.

This is an important point that people forget. The premise of the orals is that you've passed your writtens and the examiner could theoretically open up Miller to a random page and you'd be able be able to regurgitate at least some knowledge about some anesthetic technique or disease process or physiologic principle. However, they don't just assume this premise on the orals- they actually test it within the context of the different stems. The pathophys of TRALI and pre-E is just as much fair game as knowing how to manage them. The point being (whether you agree or disagree), if you don't have the prerequisite knowledge about a topic then you don't have the foundation with which to reason.

Reactions: 1 user
In case anyone's wondering, going on vacation immediately after orals is not recommended. Especilley if it's solo. Extra points for going to a windsports spot and having no wind.

And as for taking ICU boards right before the orals... let's just say that won't make you any happier.

Don't be like me! :unsure:

If you are someone who has concerns about your knowledge base then I think you will benefit most from UBP. The UBP PDFs do not replicate the test well at all NOR do they replicate the best way to answer a question. What they do well is they give you a lot of relevant information and some degree of reasoning behind answers which you can take or leave but will still serve as a decent way to reestablish some knowledge you may have forgotten.

By far the best oral boards practice (aside from attendings and examiners) is a good study partner and using the old Applied oral exam PDFs that are floating around. They replicate the exam PERFECTLY but they do not provide any answers whatsoever.

Reactions: 2 users
I took them yesterday and I had osce portion first and was definitely tired and tripping up with words more by the end of second oral question. Just tried to answer as many as I could with reasoning. It was hard.

Yeah the OSCEs scramble your brain just enough to make it hurt by stem 2 don't they?

Plus side, most of us who have to go back won't have to do both again!

I took the Ho course before my oral board exam, and after almost every public mock oral for that course, he started his critique and debrief with one word: knowledge. Sometimes he talked about style, presentation, or judgment, but mostly about knowledge gaps (that sometimes led to bad judgment).

You're right, the exam is full of questions of fact. Maybe it's most accurate to say broad and deep knowledge is necessary but not sufficient to pass.

Its a tough exam to prepare for. We spend our whole lives taking written exams, mostly multiple choice. And then, 25ish years into our education, for most of us this is our first and only high stakes oral exam. Most of us know more than one excellent anesthesiologist who didn't pass the first time.

My sympathy to those who didn't pass. But I have little doubt you'll pass next time. And though painful, the preparation to retake it will make you better.

I took the Ho course before my oral board exam, and after almost every public mock oral for that course, he started his critique and debrief with one word: knowledge. Sometimes he talked about style, presentation, or judgment, but mostly about knowledge gaps (that sometimes led to bad judgment).

You're right, the exam is full of questions of fact. Maybe it's most accurate to say broad and deep knowledge is necessary but not sufficient to pass.

Its a tough exam to prepare for. We spend our whole lives taking written exams, mostly multiple choice. And then, 25ish years into our education, for most of us this is our first and only high stakes oral exam. Most of us know more than one excellent anesthesiologist who didn't pass the first time.

My sympathy to those who didn't pass. But I have little doubt you'll pass next time. And though painful, the preparation to retake it will make you better.

Yeah we’ll now my strategy is going to review everything in anesthesia in its entirety in as much detail as I can stomach for 6 months

Yeah we’ll now my strategy is going to review everything in anesthesia in its entirety in as much detail as I can stomach for 6 months

While I understand your mindset at this time. 6 months is a long time and the chances of you remembering stuff you read 6 months ago is pretty small. I started studying 3 months out with a slow ramp up and full bore the last month and even I was so sick of studying by the end of it. Don't burn yourself out like that. Take it easy for a month or two, let your mind settle and then ramp back up later.

In case anyone's wondering, going on vacation immediately after orals is not recommended. Especilley if it's solo. Extra points for going to a windsports spot and having no wind.

And as for taking ICU boards right before the orals... let's just say that won't make you any happier.

Don't be like me! :unsure:

Seconded. Most people leave the boards feeling like they've failed (there are some exceptions). For me, the best thing was getting back to work to take my mind off of that day.

I hope the ABA takes a serious look at the order of OSCE/SOE scheduling and handicaps scores appropriately.

I know that those that recently passed the advanced writtens were frustrated with the lack of slots for the applied. Does the ABA do anything for those who failed as far as accommodating for sooner retakes ? What has been the experience of those who have had to retake the exam and finding a testing date?

I know that those that recently passed the advanced writtens were frustrated with the lack of slots for the applied. Does the ABA do anything for those who failed as far as accommodating for sooner retakes ? What has been the experience of those who have had to retake the exam and finding a testing date?

Lol, the ABA only accommodates themselves...

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I found out on Monday that I passed. This was my second attempt. My last attempt was 2.5 years ago, and it rattled me pretty bad. As a PP ologist for the last 3 years, my knowledge felt deteriorated. I did about 30 Skype mocks with one of the usual pay to play suspects. I sincerely feel that becoming comfortable with lots of speaking is the most important part. You also learn that even if you don’t have the exact answer, there are usually some common sense things that you can say to get some points. Most of all, practice and be confident. Always choose a weapon and defend yourself.

I have browsed these forums for years as a silent voyeuristic watcher. I decided that I would finally join in.

Also, I have TONS of board prep stuff for sale (most of it untouched). Message me and I’ll hook up a deal.

For those that didn’t pass this time, keep your chins up. It doesn’t mean ****. In the grand scheme of things, it’s just a speed bump on a ride that will ultimately make you better and stronger. How tough can the ABA be? They’re a group of bustas that get beat 80% of the time. If this were the NFL, they’d be the 2018 raiders.

Reactions: 5 users
I took them yesterday and I had osce portion first and was definitely tired and tripping up with words more by the end of second oral question. Just tried to answer as many as I could with reasoning. It was hard.

I had the Oral first then OSCE second. After I finished the two 35 min oral stems, I am mentally exhausted. By the time I am done with OSCE, I was hoping that I pass the Oral at the minimum because I didn't think I do that well on OSCE since I was really exhausted. I think regardless of whether oral or OSCE first, the candidate will be mentally exhausted for the second part, which is quite unfair for those who have OSCE first since Oral is more difficult to pass.

I had the Oral first then OSCE second. After I finished the two 35 min oral stems, I am mentally exhausted. By the time I am done with OSCE, I was hoping that I pass the Oral at the minimum because I didn't think I do that well on OSCE since I was really exhausted. I think regardless of whether oral or OSCE first, the candidate will be mentally exhausted for the second part, which is quite unfair for those who have OSCE first since Oral is more difficult to pass.

The "solution" to this that the ABA will come up with is to make the exam two days and charge an extra thousand bucks for the trouble.

If anyone is interested in buying my Just Oral
Boards Manual. Please message me.

Man, I agree with that. Counted my lucky stars that I had orals before OSCE.

Seconded. Most people leave the boards feeling like they've failed (there are some exceptions). For me, the best thing was getting back to work to take my mind off of that day..

I finished my residency in 2015
did very well on my written boards -- 99th percentile
decided to wait an extra year before oral boards
So I took my oral boards in 2017.
My flight was cancelled, not once, but twice.
First time, sat at the airport from 6 pm until nearly midnight when they cancelled the flight.
I went home at 1 am a broken man. I was mentally destroyed, thinking of having to wait another year to take the exam.
Called the ABA the next morning and a stroke of luck they had someone cancel for the next day. Went to the airport again,
missed the early afternoon flight, and again sat at the airport from 4 pm until nearly 10 pm when they cancelled the flight again.
Drove from Chicago to North Carolina with my fiance for more than 14 hours in the middle of the night. If you've done the drive before you'll know some parts of it are small country roads. I drove about 6 hours of it while she drove 8 hours.
Made it to the testing site 1.5 hours before the exam.
Took a quick nap, freshened up, took the exam while half asleep
Didn't expect to pass but I did.

If anybody has a crazier story let me know.

First time, sat at the airport from 6 pm until nearly midnight when they cancelled the flight.
I went home at 1 am a broken man. I was mentally destroyed, thinking of having to wait another year to take the exam.
Called the ABA the next morning and a stroke of luck they had someone cancel for the next day. Went to the airport again,
missed the early afternoon flight, and again sat at the airport from 4 pm until nearly 10 pm when they cancelled the flight again.
Drove from Chicago to North Carolina with my fiance for more than 14 hours in the middle of the night. If you've done the drive before you'll know some parts of it are small country roads. I drove about 6 hours of it while she drove 8 hours.

Hope you ended up marrying her... she sounds like a keeper.

Didn’t someone on here puke in the wastepaper basket during their orals and pass recently?

God if I failed after all that I would just redo residency in something else

Okay. I’ll play along. The first time I took oral boards, I exposed my genitalia to the examiners. Not on purpose, of course. I forgot my suspenders at home and didn’t realize it until I got dressed about an hour before the exam. Luckily, my pants were nice and loose. I figured I’d probably be okay. I just needed to be hyper vigilant about keeping my pants pulled up. I walked into my first room fairly confident. When I extended my hand to shake the senior examiners hand, my pants hit the floor. Needless to say, I was rocking a pair of boxers that don’t have a button on the dong slit. Game. Set. Match. I don’t even remember a single question they asked me. I was just fixated on the fact that I had just put the D on display to my oral board examiners. I think I may have been able to pull it together if they would have followed suit and dropped trow, but they were slightly less ready to party than I was. What followed was a totally incoherent mumble session on my part along with grotesque and profuse sweating. Needless to say, I did not pass. I did however immediately go to hooters and drink Long Island iced teas until I was cut off. The bartender actually drove me back to my hotel that night. It was like a nightmare. I was so scarred that I waited 2.5 years before retaking the exam. I kept the horse in the stable and passed on the second go.

Reactions: 7 users
Okay. I’ll play along. The first time I took oral boards, I exposed my genitalia to the examiners. Not on purpose, of course. I forgot my suspenders at home and didn’t realize it until I got dressed about an hour before the exam. Luckily, my pants were nice and loose. I figured I’d probably be okay. I just needed to be hyper vigilant about keeping my pants pulled up. I walked into my first room fairly confident. When I extended my hand to shake the senior examiners hand, my pants hit the floor. Needless to say, I was rocking a pair of boxers that don’t have a button on the dong slit. Game. Set. Match. I don’t even remember a single question they asked me. I was just fixated on the fact that I had just put the D on display to my oral board examiners. I think I may have been able to pull it together if they would have followed suit and dropped trow, but they were slightly less ready to party than I was. What followed was a totally incoherent mumble session on my part along with grotesque and profuse sweating. Needless to say, I did not pass. I did however immediately go to hooters and drink Long Island iced teas until I was cut off. The bartender actually drove me back to my hotel that night. It was like a nightmare. I was so scarred that I waited 2.5 years before retaking the exam. I kept the horse in the stable and passed on the second go.

That's unreal. Did u do the second room?

This sounds plausible

Yes I neglected to mention that in addition to my knowledge gaps I also had my pants fall off while attempting to demonstrate awake intubation on myself in front of the examiners with stuff I smuggled in under my blazer

That's unreal. Did u do the second room?
The real test of his commitment is whether or not he flashed the second set of examiners too.

I got to the airport to fly to Atlanta for my oral boards and the nice lady at the check in counter told me I didn't have a ticket.

Never mind, got results today and I passed!! Now just waiting for the CCM board results...

For those that may read this in the future, do not schedule orals and CCM a week apart... made for a ****ty time.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Never mind, got results today and I passed!! Now just waiting for the CCM board results...

For those that may read this in the future, do not schedule orals and CCM a week apart... made for a ****ty time.

100% agree with that one. Today ended a huge amount of anxiety. Can't be that much longer until the CCM results come out and hopefully kill it for good.

I took my oral boards on 10/25/18 and the results came out on 11/13/18 with a pass. I was so happy and relieved! As many have posted, it's a nerve wrecking experience. With regards to preparation, I started in 12/2017 and tried to study a few weekdays and every weekend. I used "Clinical Cases in Anesthesia" by Reed/Yudkowitz. In 6/2018, I attended Dr. Ho's 4-day crash course in Raleigh. It helped me understand the breath/depth of knowledge needed, and once I had this knowledge, I practiced speaking aloud to myself constantly and how I could answer a question concisely. Every weekend starting in 7/2018, I practiced mock orals with my spouse (who's not in medicine). I focused on answering the question (yes, no, depends, etc) and then explaining my answer. The ABA examiners cut you off often, so if you explain first and it's taking a long time, they may cut you off and not know your final answer.

It was a very difficult exam for me, mainly because I'm overall a shy person and not comfortable speaking aloud to defend my answers. And when I get really nervous, I'm sometimes unable to answer even the basic stuff. But I can say that working hard, being diligent and practicing aloud will all prove worthwhile.

Congrats on passing, I took my orals on 10/24 and thought that I defiantly botched it. But lucky me I passed.

Question:
1-How did you manage to take the CCM before being certified in anesthesia? I thought it said on the ABA website that you have to.
2- What would you recommend for studying for the CCM, and do you have any experience with the pass machine?

Thank you
G

Congrats on passing, I took my orals on 10/24 and thought that I defiantly botched it. But lucky me I passed.

Question:
1-How did you manage to take the CCM before being certified in anesthesia? I thought it said on the ABA website that you have to.
2- What would you recommend for studying for the CCM, and do you have any experience with the pass machine?

Thank you
G

Because oral boards spots were so backed up, they let folks finishing CCM fellowships last year take the exam the one day they offered it in Oct, with the condition that it wouldn't be graded if they failed the orals. It also would be totally invalidated if you not only failed the initial exam, but also the only chance for a makeup which would be the first exam week of 2019. Seemed like a good idea at the time, and hey, it all worked out in the end, but I'm not sure I'd sign up for such an arrangement again.

For the CCM exam, I read through Critical Care Secrets and tapped out the BoardsVitals CCM questions. The former was actually a really good review. Can't recommended the later (certainly the lowest quality question bank I've used), but I was cheap and didnt want to pay for SEEK considering the high cost for what seemed a low number of questions. If I had to do it again, I would.

Because oral boards spots were so backed up, they let folks finishing CCM fellowships last year take the exam the one day they offered it in Oct, with the condition that it wouldn't be graded if they failed the orals. It also would be totally invalidated if you not only failed the initial exam, but also the only chance for a makeup which would be the first exam week of 2019. Seemed like a good idea at the time, and hey, it all worked out in the end, but I'm not sure I'd sign up for such an arrangement again.

For the CCM exam, I read through Critical Care Secrets and tapped out the BoardsVitals CCM questions. The former was actually a really good review. Can't recommended the later (certainly the lowest quality question bank I've used), but I was cheap and didnt want to pay for SEEK considering the high cost for what seemed a low number of questions. If I had to do it again, I would.

+1 vote for CHEST SEEK questions, but also for the CHEST board review videos. If you can split cost among co-fellows (my class did), it makes it more bearable. Those were serious money. Don’t underestimate how much medicine/MICU stuff is on CCM anesthesia boards.

+1 vote for CHEST SEEK questions, but also for the CHEST board review videos. If you can split cost among co-fellows (my class did), it makes it more bearable. Those were serious money. Don’t underestimate how much medicine/MICU stuff is on CCM anesthesia boards.

I too did the SEEK questions as well as the SCCM questions. I found value in both. Lots of medicine, I spent about 1/2 my time in the MICU (by choice) so I felt well prepared for this. Honestly, I’d also bust out First Aid and at least skim something on dermpath... I had legit path slides...

I will say it was probably the hardest exam I’ve taken but also the one I did the best on despite not feeling like it.

As someone mentioned, because the ABA is largely incompetent, they “ran out of spots” by the time I was able to get on and schedule my orals (must be difficult to add the number of graduating residents with the number of people needing retakes...). After repeated calls they ended up opening up spots late in the year and letting me take the CCM boards a week prior to orals.

Thank you all for your advice. I guess I have to start preparing right away :)