Employment & Professional Networking Recent OT grads - would you have done anything differently?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coyOT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I made my decision earlier this year to pursue an MOT or MSOT - working on my applications right now for Fall 2018. So far, I have been feeling very confident about the field. The stats (high growth rate, good median salary) seem promising. I still have time to be an OT with just a Master's. I've done plenty of observation in different settings and felt like everything was a match with what I want to do daily in my future work. So from that, this really feels like the right path for me.

However, I've also heard some less-than-promising words. I've been warned that there's gonna be an oversaturation of OTs in the coming years and that the pay isn't what it's cracked up to be. While this is very concerning for me, I still feel very attracted to the job and don't want to abandon ship just because of that. But at the same time, I don't want to charge in without more thought and find myself in a difficult situation after finishing grad school.

I could really use the advice from recent grads or to at least hear about their experience after graduating.
  • Would any grads wish they had gotten a different degree and why? Would any COTAs preferred to have gotten an MOT/MSOT or vice versa? Would any MOT/MSOTs preferred to have gotten an OTD? Would any OTDs wish they had gotten a "lower" degree?
  • Would anyone have preferred they had gone to a different school than the one they graduated from? E.g., would someone from a higher-ranking but pricier school wish they had gone to a lower-ranking, more affordable school? Or vice versa?
  • How difficult or easy has the job search been since graduating?
  • Would any recent grads wish they never even went into OT in the first place? If so, why and which field do you wish you had gotten into instead?
  • Anything else you would want to let prospective grad students know?
I specifically would like to hear from recent grads: not prospective students, current students, or OTs with several years experience (unless you have stories about recent grads).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! I graduated in late June, took my boards in July, and have been working since then. I graduated with my MOT and have never regretted my degree choice. For what I want to do with my life and my financial situation, the master’s level is sufficient.

I elected to go out of state for my program in order to allow for some personal growth. It was a great experience. The school was a good fit for me and I learned a ton about myself too! I am now back in my home state, but the decision to move back was tough.

My job search was pretty easy. I had a few interviews prior to graduation. I had two offers prior to graduation, too. I ended up accepting one that was $11,000 higher in annual salary than the other. I am currently making slightly below the median income for all OTs in my state, not just new grads.

When you get to the job search point, be cognizant of other things other than the salary or hourly rate. What do they offer for insurance benefits? PTO? Paid holidays? Sick days? Continuing education contribution? The list goes on. The two jobs I had offers for had similar packages which helped (but a notable difference in pay), but sometimes it might be better to take a slightly lower pay level for better overall benefits package.

Hope this helps I love being an OT, my kiddos make me laugh every day!

Reactions: 1 user