Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

recent stanford news?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by roundabout, Apr 22, 2004.

1. roundabout

roundabout Member
    7+ Year Member

has anyone who interviewed at stanford recently (mine was last week) heard back from them yet?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Pearface

Pearface Member
    7+ Year Member

I interviewed last week too so I keep imagining that my phone's ringing. Really, I think that it's too early for us and that we might find out next Thursday.

4. boomuntilnoon

boomuntilnoon Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I still haven't heard from them post-secondary... I thought a rejection letter would have surfaced by now.

5. periodic

periodic Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i interviewed this past monday and a friend on the friday before that - i'll post if either of us hear anything. cassandra (sooter) said there was a chance that people who interviewed last week would hear before the revisit weekend (end of the month), but she doubted that this week's interviewees would.

6. eunibo

eunibo Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

hey folks,

i'm interviewing this Friday after months (literally, i was complete in sept) of hearing nothing. Question for those who have interviewed recently: Is stanford still offering acceptances? Or are these interviews for waitlist/alternate positions? Thanks! Good luck everyone!

7. klooless

klooless Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I know that at least one acceptance call was made last FRIDAY...glean from that whatever you may...

GLUCK!

8. roundabout

roundabout Member
    7+ Year Member

eep.. now i'll be checking my phone neurotically tomorrow.. g'luck everyone!

9. Pearface

Pearface Member
    7+ Year Member

Hmmm... it's Friday now. Please post if you hear anything from Stanford!

10. roundabout

roundabout Member
    7+ Year Member

so no one has heard anything? i hate waiting for calls :( it's been so disappointing

11. gramcracker

gramcracker Emergency Medicine Attending
    10+ Year Member

Yes. Stanford is still offering acceptances.

12. periodic

periodic Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for the info, gramcracker!

13. eledamau

eledamau Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

i just received an interview offer from stanford this week! and will be interviewing next week... i was SO surprised b/c i thought i was just waiting this month for the straggling rejection letters that i've been getting for the past month/2 months

the benefit of having an interview this late.. i figure i'll know sometime relatively soon what happens with my interview right? (as opposed to the 3-4 months i waited at some other schools)

i'm glad to hear that they are still accepting people to their class :luck:

14. gramcracker

gramcracker Emergency Medicine Attending
    10+ Year Member

Yes, I'd imagine you'd hear the next week after your interview. Congrats!

15. eledamau

eledamau Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

thanks gramcracker!

*crossing my fingers*

i don't think i've ever been as nervous for an interview as this one

16. roundabout

roundabout Member
    7+ Year Member

anyone hear anything today?

17. noclouds

noclouds Member
    7+ Year Member

i interviewed the first week of april. didn't get any admissions "congratulations calls", but someone from the admissions office called today to verify my mailing address....

when i asked them what's being sent (imagining that it's probably a rejection or hold letter)...they said it's an admissions/accept packet! :confused: :confused:

from the sounds of it, i either missed the congrats phone call last week, or i lost the voice msg or something silly. the lady who called today sounded as if i already knew i got in.....

bizarre!

so the bottom line, yes, they're still offering acceptances!

18. Pearface

Pearface Member
    7+ Year Member

Wow! Congrats Nocloud! :clap:
    Are you going to be going this fall?

I still haven't heard yet, but to be fair, I interviewed a week later than you did.

19. roundabout

roundabout Member
    7+ Year Member

yes, congrats noclouds! and thank you for posting! like pearface i'm still anxiously waiting...

20. noclouds

noclouds Member
    7+ Year Member

thank you guys! :D

i totally did not expect this...and this only makes my decisions more difficult to make. i'm gonna get a feel for things at the revisit weekend. and even if i don't go in the fall, i'm sure my spot will go to someone who equally deserves it. :)

good luck to you all :luck:

21. Pearface

Pearface Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey guys. Well, it's Thursday night so I'm giving this a bump. Any news tonight?

22. klooless

klooless Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Well, I'm here at the Stanford second look, and I have met someone who is INTERVIEWING tomorrow! So yeah, Stanford is on a whole different planet right now.

GLUCK to all you who are still waiting!!!

23. roundabout

roundabout Member
    7+ Year Member

hey, i got news that there was no meeting today so we're going to be waiting til next week... :(

24. periodic

periodic Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey guys,

I got an acceptance call last Thurs (4/29) from my student interviewer. I had interviewed about two weeks before. Good luck!!

25. Pearface

Pearface Member
    7+ Year Member

Well, this doesn't bode to well for me since I interviewed about the same time and haven't heard anything. :(

Here's to hoping! :luck:

26. eunibo

eunibo Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

bump bump bump

any news tonight from Stanford? anyone?

27. I emailed Juhn and found out my chance of getting in from the waitlist is "very small."

28. scrappydawg

scrappydawg Member
    7+ Year Member

I just withdrew from a spot tonight...hope one of you get it

29. CalBeE

7+ Year Member

Periodic, are you withdrawing from Columbia then? :D

30. LoneCoyote

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks for posting that. I am going to email him tomorrow and see what he has to say for me. If it is "very small" maybe I will just withdraw. Did he tell you your rank on the list at all?

31. periodic

periodic Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm on the waitlist there, but I'm gonna withdraw from there and a few other places today (been lazy).

Good luck to you CalBeE!

32. DrJ2B

DrJ2B Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I am sorry for prying, but is one of them UPenn? ::crosses fingers:: :D

33. periodic

periodic Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey no problem DrJ2B - yeah, I will withdraw from the waitlist there - I was "at the top of tier 1", if that matters. I am starting to X out places I don't feel compelled towards, for whatever reason.

You know I wish you and CalBeE the best!

34. DrJ2B

DrJ2B Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

That definitely helps! Thanks so much! :D Have you definitely decided on Stanford?

35. Pearface

Pearface Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey guys,
    Someone from Stanford called me today and couldn't leave me a message, so I have no idea what it was about! Does Stanford ever call to reject or waitlist you?? I haven't received any e-mail or snail-mail from them either.

36. Well my question to him was simply am I near the top, middle, or bottom and he just said "to be frank with you, the chances are very small" and that's enough information for me to move on. If I got a call in August due to some freak accident, I would still go though.

37. periodic

periodic Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pear - there's no way they call to waitlist or reject. They only call to accept or possibly clarify something (haven't heard of this, but it's possible).

Call the admissions office right now and ask. Best of luck, let us know what happens.

38. Pearface

Pearface Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks, I tried calling the office and the secretary said that it could have been anyone for any purpose. I didn't give her my name so she couldn't tell me the status of my application. She said just to hold tight and if it's important enough, they'll call back or e-mail me. 4 hours later, I still haven't heard anything but I'm on pins and needles! I DID call one of the directors a few days ago so perhaps he's finally returning my call, although I don't think that I gave him my work number.... My work number's on my AMCAS file so who knows.

39. LoneCoyote

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I emailed Juhn today and was also told my chances were "small" and that I should "accept offers from other schools." He said the waitlist is ranked and your position is constantly changing. He did not tell me where I was, ie top or bottom. And he said that if you are not taken off the waitlist by the end of June it is very unlikely that you will be because their class is usually set by late June.

40. Ah, well I figured he would have told us if we were within the top 10 people or so. Guess not.

41. Lux Aeterna

Lux Aeterna the eternal light
    10+ Year Member

Pearface, I think it's definitely good news for you! :) They only call for acceptances... congrats. It is a wonderful school!

I have no shot off the waitlist either, as I inquired via phone the other day. They don't sugarcoat it, huh? I guess it's for the better.

However, I did find out from an SDNer that they have taken at least one person off the hold list in early April... thought that tidbit might be important to know.

Lux

42. Pearface

Pearface Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey Lux, thanks for the congrats, but alas, I didn't get in. :( I found out when I checked my snail-mail and found a waitlist aka hold letter there from Stanford. So why they called me, I have no idea, and will probably never know. Maybe they called me instead of someone else by mistake, and realized it so they hung up instead of leaving a message.
    So, it seems that the general consensus is that people rarely get off the waitlist huh? I'm curious to see around where I'm ranked. I suppose that they tell the First Alternate people (different from the hold list) that they're on that list?

Sigh :(

43. That's basically how it works. Why the hold list exists if they don't plan to actually take people, well that I just don't understand. Maybe its to prevent animosity toward the admissions office due to post-interview rejections.

44. LoneCoyote

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    From what I heard the first alternate list, where you get admissions for the following year, is only used when the class is overfilled and they still want to offer seats. My friend told me they are being very conservative with admissions this year so that they are not even likely to do that. Personally I would rather just be rejected, or at least told I am like #999 on the waitlist so that I could move on. Oh well.

45. Pearface

Pearface Member
    7+ Year Member

Stanford gives post-interview rejections right? I rarely ever hear about it so it seems that every interviewee who doesn't get a straight acceptance gets placed on hold. Maybe people do get rejected post-interview at Stanford but just don't like to talk about it. If what I say is true, then there's gotta be like 400 people on this hold list. I talked to Juhn and he also told me that my chances are very small. I think that this is what he must say to all waitlisters, regardless of where they are on the list. He wouldn't tell me where I was on the hold list.

46. CalBeE

7+ Year Member

Actually Post-interview rejection does NOT feel good...trust me on this :(

47. Lux Aeterna

Lux Aeterna the eternal light
    10+ Year Member

Hey Pearface, sorry to hear the news :(

Their process is more mystifying than most schools, huh?

Another thing of note--Stanford has 26!!! first alternates from last year enrolling this year. So competition was even more stringent this year (for the 60 slots versus 86) although why they interview so late in the year is a bit odd.

48. Pearface

Pearface Member
    7+ Year Member

Oh, I guess that you just answered my question. Sorry about that Calbee, but really, I think of myself in the same boat as you considering my chances are "very small." Who knows how all of this works, and in the end, I think that even getting an interview at Stanford is something that we should realize is quite an honor since they interview relatively few people.

49. CalBeE

7+ Year Member

I think the reason I got a rejection was probably a negative report from my faculty interviewer. I didn't get the sense that she liked me that much.

50. Pearface

Pearface Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't think that my faculty interviewer liked me much either. I wonder if we had the same one.

51. CalBeE

7+ Year Member

She's a radiation oncologist or something. It started out as a friendly conversation...and she actually knew my high school, which is like virtually unknown to anyone I have met. But then it was downhill from there. She wasn't seemed impressed when I talked about the EC and research I was involved in...and started to look impatient after 20 minutes or so.