Recent test takers: i have a few questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bostampa2007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the new CBT format:

1. Do PS, VR and BS always have 7 passages.

2. How many orgo passages are there in BS? Are they very specific, detail oriented, or based on basic orgo knowledge?

3. Did you guys get any passage with just one or two questions?

4. Do we not get any lunch break during the whole exam?

5. Was PS calculation heavy?

Members don't see this ad.

--not sure

2. How many orgo passages are there in BS? Are they very specific, detail oriented, or based on basic orgo knowledge?
--i had two orgo passages on my mcat (may 25th). the orgo on the mcat seemed like a joke compared to my undergrad experience. a lot of it is pathetically basic biochem and polarity stuff.

--nope

--correct

--i don't know if you've taken any practice exams, but i felt like i had to do more math on the actual exam than i did on practice exams. so, yeah, there's certainly a fair amount of calculations. maybe half or so of the section.

good luck

--not sure

--i had two orgo passages on my mcat (may 25th). the orgo on the mcat seemed like a joke compared to my undergrad experience. a lot of it is pathetically basic biochem and polarity stuff.

--nope

--correct

--i don't know if you've taken any practice exams, but i felt like i had to do more math on the actual exam than i did on practice exams. so, yeah, there's certainly a fair amount of calculations. maybe half or so of the section.

good luck

can we bring coffee inside the testing center?

Do you get blank paper to do calculations? You can go backwards and forwards through the sections, and go back once you've answered passages right??

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you get blank paper to do calculations? You can go backwards and forwards through the sections, and go back once you've answered passages right??
You either get scratch paper or a laminated piece of paper that you could use dry erase markers for.

And yes, after you've finished a section, you can just go to what ever question you want. I do believe there's a "guessed" checkmark so you can mark which specific questions you want to go back to after a section.

When you finish a section before you submit it will have a list of all the questions ... there are 3 columns.

1) answered
2) guessed - you can mark so you can return if you so choose
3) no answer

At that point you can go back through to all your "guess" or all "unanswered" as there is a button to click for review all guessed or review all unanswered. Or I believe you can go back to a specific question that I'm a little hazy on.

No food or drink IN the testing room but you get a locker where you can keep whatever you want and you are allowed to go there during breaks. No cell usage though.

In the new CBT format:

First two I have no comment on, as passages are passages. Read, rinse, and repeat!

3) NOPE

4) no lunch break but I brought granola bars and snacked

5) half and half with some having calcs, others not