Recent VCU interviewees- Status Page Update

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LUBDUBB

Freakaholic
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all those who interviewed recently (after oct 15). We were told to expect a status page update on Dec 15, notifying us of acceptance, rejection or hold.

Today I got an update saying I was on hold and that offers of acceptance were going out on Oct 15, Dec 15, end of jan, mid-march. Anyone else get this?

Members don't see this ad.

yea i got the same thing...we're waiting for December 15th...if we don't get in then, are we still in the running for acceptance at the end of January or whenever the next round is, or do we get placed automatically on that March waitlist? Also, once the committee rates you, will grade updates, etc., influence your position or is your number set?

camisho said:
yea i got the same thing...we're waiting for December 15th...if we don't get in then, are we still in the running for acceptance at the end of January or whenever the next round is, or do we get placed automatically on that March waitlist? Also, once the committee rates you, will grade updates, etc., influence your position or is your number set?

On the 15 we will know if we are accepted, rejected or on hold. "On hold" means we are still in the running for the next acceptance dates. And if we don't get an acceptance by march, we are waitlisted. As I remember, Dean Heldberg said that once the committee votes, they never revist your file no matter what you send in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok that's what I figured then...good luck to you Lubb...til next week then

hi! i was just there last week. if you got the update that says you're on hold, you definitely aren't rejected (those rejected will get a rejection update on the status page), just in line for possible acceptance on any of those dates you mentioned. and, yes, like you said, you could be accepted any of those times, you don't just drop right to the wait list. it'll be formed in march w/ whoever still hasn't been accepted... good luck to all of you! our group will be waiting for a while yet... :)

I interviewed more than a month ago and this is how I remember it. The thursday after your file is reviewed (which is every monday) your status page is updated. You will recieve a rejection during that update if your priority score is greater than 3.5. Anything below 3.5 will recieve the hold update that you and I recieved and will wait until dec 15, end of jan and so on to see if you were accepted. Only after the last acceptances are sent out will a waitlist be formed and divided between instate and out of state.

Someone correct me if i am wrong

Ok so this hold message that says that I have been reviewed means that I wasn't 3.5 or above? That's a good start!

camisho said:
Ok so this hold message that says that I have been reviewed means that I wasn't 3.5 or above? That's a good start!

I dunno. Dean Heldberg said on the 15th we would know whether we were rejected accepted or on hold. From the status page...

You will receive no further communication from us concerning your hold status. The next status change will be to offer you a position in the class, to notify you that you have been placed on the alternate list in mid-March, or to notify you that the committee will no longer be considering your file. However, this page will have a message at the top indicating each time offers are made.

Best of Luck

LUBDUBB said:
I dunno. Dean Heldberg said on the 15th we would know whether we were rejected accepted or on hold. From the status page...

You will receive no further communication from us concerning your hold status. The next status change will be to offer you a position in the class, to notify you that you have been placed on the alternate list in mid-March, or to notify you that the committee will no longer be considering your file. However, this page will have a message at the top indicating each time offers are made.

Best of Luck

I second Lubdubb. Dean Heldberg said that although we won't know the scores given to us, those who get a 3.5 or higher will get an acceptance or will be placed on the continue to review category. For those below 3.5, the rejection will follow. At this point, the message indicates that we have been reviewed and a decision will be made known to us on December 15.

BELIEVE :D

MDHub said:
I second Lubdubb. Dean Heldberg said that although we won't know the scores given to us, those who get a 3.5 or higher will get an acceptance or will be placed on the continue to review category. For those below 3.5, the rejection will follow. At this point, the message indicates that we have been reviewed and a decision will be made known to us on December 15.

BELIEVE :D

I think you have it reversed ...3.5 or higher= rejection. 1 is the highest

hi guys,

i too interviewed in late oct and am waiting for the 12/15 decision time but i have not rec'd any change in my status page.

i find it odd that some of you guys (post 10/15 interviewees) have rec'd some sort of notification before 12/15.

anyone else find this odd or am i missing out on something?

what they told us was:
1. when your file is reviewed and voted on by the committee, you receive the initial status page update. this will be either rejection (>3.5) or "hold" (rest). the numbers will not change after this point. applicants are ranked accordingly.
2. on dec. 15, mid-feb., and mid-march, the committee will decide to admit a certain number of students (say, 50). the dean will then look at the top 50 people on the ranked list. if there is a skew as to in vs. out of state, they will temporarily skip out-of-staters in order to keep about a 40:60 ratio for each pool they accept. (so, if all of those 50 at the top were out of state, they wouldn't take all 50 at this time, moving on to in-staters lower on the ranked list). so, dec. you could hear you are accepted or you could remain in the "hold" pool.
3. if you're still in the "hold" category, the next time acceptances go out, you could receive one then. again, the next 50 or so would be accepted. finally, in march, those not accepted, but in the "hold" pool will be placed on the official wait list.

a bit complicated, so i'm not sure if the way i wrote it made any sense. basically, if you got the update and it says you're on hold, congrats! you're not above a 3.5. (this is by the dean's explanation. i do agree that the wording makes it sound otherwise...). also, if you didn't get the update yet, don't worry. they said they had fallen behind more than expected over thanksgiving, etc., so some files may not have been voted on yet.
anyways, that's my long explanation of what i understood from last week... good luck everyone! :luck:

hi guys,

yup nothing can change your "score"...however, if you're on the waitlist, i believe sending in updates (grades, new mcat's etc..) can help your cause because the dean has a say on who gets off the waitlist....just a thought for those of us who haven't been rejected but end up on the waitlist in the spring

anyhow, i too am waiting for the 12/15 offers (interviewed back in september), best of luck to all!
please post if you get the email next week!!!

hi ballerinamd,

so what does your status page say? is it still the "thanks for filling out the survey" message?

your file should've been voted on by the committee, i'd give them a call to find out what's the deal

good luck!
ballerinaMD said:
hi guys,

i too interviewed in late oct and am waiting for the 12/15 decision time but i have not rec'd any change in my status page.

i find it odd that some of you guys (post 10/15 interviewees) have rec'd some sort of notification before 12/15.

so now on december 15th they're only taking the top 50? How many people have they interviewed thus far do you think?

alot...they interview around 700 every year. I would say that they have interviewed at least 300 so far.

ballerinaMD said:
hi guys,

I was concerned about that too. I interviewed on Oct.26, and I just received the status update asking for interview feedback on Thanksgiving, and then another update saying that I was placed "on hold" last week. So, no worries, just be patient.

how many do they accept every year? in-state? out-of-state? anyone have all the stats? and if so, could you post them? Thanks so much.

hi cam,

off of the website they take 100 instaters vs 84 out of staters, however, the waitlist for out of staters moves a lot while the instate hardly moves...
so in the end, they accept a lot of out of staters, i recall from a previous thread by "Code Brown". they made ~415 offers total to fill the class

good luck man...hopefully we get the good news next week
:thumbup:
camisho said:
how many do they accept every year? in-state? out-of-state? anyone have all the stats? and if so, could you post them? Thanks so much.

camisho said:

For 2004
Applied/Interviewed/Accepted/Enrolled
Total:3909/629/413/184
In-state:790/296/202/100
Out-of-state:3119/333/211/84

BELIEVE :luck:

sorry if i confused things. when i said "say 50" i was just using a random number to explain the process more easily. it is the same number they used in describing it to us, but i do not think that means it is the actual number they will accept. sorry! good luck!

chondrocyte said:
hi ballerinamd,

so what does your status page say? is it still the "thanks for filling out the survey" message?

your file should've been voted on by the committee, i'd give them a call to find out what's the deal

good luck!

hi chondrocyte,

sorry for the delay in responding, but anyway, after i had filled out/submitted the survey, i rec'd a thank you msg for a brief time period. since then, my status page has been displaying my original invitation for interview, only without the rsvp link on the bottom. and no change since late oct/early nov.

its after business hours now so i will have to call them and find out whats going on on mon.

thanks for the advice and good luck to u too.