This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tkm32

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I recently went through the entire process and thought that some of my experiences could help everyone out!

I'll start with my stats (since that is what everyone is asking about).
I have a Cumulative GPA of 3.7 and a Major GPA of around a 3.6.
I am currently a Biology Major with a Pre-PT concentration. A lot of people told me that I wouldnt be accepted because they are looking for Exercise Science majors, so don't let that freak you out!
I did horribly on my GRE's with a 152 on Verbal (after the second time) a 148 on Quantitative (after 2 tries) and a 4.5 on the Written. I found that the GREs were OK, not as bad as I thought but I am absolutely terrible at Geometry and frankly I don't see how that is going to help me with PT school... Anyways, I didn't think they were that bad. For the Verbal, I downloaded a GRE flashcard app and went through the words daily which is the reason for my improved score. I also had the book and took multiple online tests that I found were not very helpful for the most part. The test is just extremely long and by the end of it I felt like I wanted to pass out. TAKE THE BREAKS THEY OFFER! and if you can, avoid taking it at 8am.

I went into this whole thing thinking that I was going to go to DeSales. After I did some research, I realized they didn't do their application through PTCAS and I found it a hassle to ask PT's that I shadowed over the years to write an entire letter and "grade" me basically. I would have had to reach out to people that I shadowed about 4 years ago and I found it really tedious. Also, the people writing my recommendations would have had to fill out an entirely different form and submit that as well as the PTCAS. So, I decided to look into other colleges. I found Temple was close and had a really good program. I emailed admissions at Temple and met with the director, asking if my stats would make it impossible to get in. He was extremely informative and I recommend doing this with anywhere that you are applying to! Also, keep in touch several times before the application, so they are familiar with you.

I had about 100 hours of shadowing and work as a rehab aide in a hospital. Temple did not require the hours be verified, but I had them in a variety of different settings. I did outpatient and inpatient both ortho and neuro as well as aquatics. I found this was extremely helpful in showing me the variety of different settings and helped a lot with the essays and interview process.

After filling out the PTCAS, I submitted a supplemental application to Temple as well. I also applied early decision which I feel had a huge pull in my application being accepted. A few weeks later, Temple emailed me saying that I had an interview.

On interview day, the majority of guys were wearing suits and the women were wearing either suit and pants or a long skirt and a nice shirt. The interview was extremely relaxed. It was a group interview and the current students asked the questions. I found it extremely comfortable and I was not nervous at all. After about 2 weeks, I got the email that I was accepted. Since I was early decision, I found out earlier than the others.

If there are any questions feel free to ask!! Good luck everyone :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I was also a biology major and I recently was accepted into a PT program via early decision too. Don't let others defy what you can and not do :)

C
I was also a biology major and I recently was accepted into a PT program via early decision too. Don't let others defy what you can and not do :)
congratulations!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for this post. I can relate to your stats and I am trying to beat the nerves. Thank you for the motivation!

Thank you for this post. I can relate to your stats and I am trying to beat the nerves. Thank you for the motivation!

Of course!!! Good luck with everything. Any questions feel free to ask

I too am a biology major, but my GPA is no where near yours. Still got some interviews though, but am feeling pretty down about the whole process. Anything you did to keep the stress of your mind while waiting? :(

Do you have any tips with interviews ? Like how did you prepare and stuff

Last edited:
I too am a biology major, but my GPA is no where near yours. Still got some interviews though, but am feeling pretty down about the whole process. Anything you did to keep the stress of your mind while waiting? :(

Don't feel discouraged! Everyones' stats are different and every school is looking for something different. My GRE was extremely low, which made me so nervous. I'm pretty religious so I just trusted that God had a plan for me and if it didn't work out there was another path I would have to take to achieve it. Worst comes to worst and you do not get in, retake some of the classes, maybe at a community college, and try and increase your GPA. There's also the PTA route, so don't get yourself too down. If you got interviews that means that there's something you have that other people don't. Keep up with the advisors at the places you got interviews for and just be yourself at the interview. Show them that your GPA is not an indicator of your work effort and that you will really succeed in their program. Good luck with everything! I'm sure you will be fine :)

Do you have any tips with interviews ? Like how did you prepare and stuff

I just googled grad school interviews honestly! There were a lot of scenario questions like "name a time where you had to motivate someone who did not believe in themselves" and there were also program-specific questions like "why this grad school?" and "how would you make this program better". If you know why you want to go there and you have a significant amount of experience you'll have no problem coming up with the answers. Everything that I found online and practiced went completely out of my head when I was actually in the interview. Just be confident and try not to be nervous and the answers will just come to you, I promise! I can't speak for everywhere but Temple was extremely laid back and it made me feel super comfortable so my mind was at ease. Just try not to overthink it and come up with some examples where you were faced with challenges and how you overcame them and basic questions like that so they are fresh in your mind. You will do fine :) Good luck!