Recently been convicted of a misdemeanor and now I'm freaking out ....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ripsta

dog zero.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:(

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Premed issue and now moved to Pre-Allo. This topic has been done to death over there.

Members don't see this ad :)
i have a dui charge pending in court right now, but in my state it is considered a civil matter. thus, it is not a misdemeanor, however my DUI will show up on background checks. so i'm somewhat of a similar situation. so i plan on not putting the DUI on my application, but i think i will be freaking out when i get the background request.

yeah i lost my best friend because some one can't follow a simple rule: Don't drive if you are drunk. :thumbdown:

Not disclosing a DUI will shut your application down faster than submerging the Energizer Bunny in a pool of water. If its going to appear in a background check you should disclose it, regardless if the school in question will do a check on you. Own up to your mistake, don't bury it in a shallow grave.

Also, if you don't disclose it and it appears in a check your offer of admission may be rescinded and the possible thousands of dollars you spent over the application flushed like a horrible stomachache.

Flame me if you will.... but I loathe drunk drivers. I think that you got off easier than you should have. Who do you think you are driving around a CAMPUS (or anywhere for that matter) intoxicated where there are people walking, biking, driving and otherwise trying to live their lives. Its a total and blatant disregard for peoples lives and your own. So, why should a medical school train you for a career where (peoples lives) are your sole responsibility?

PS: A 60 year old professor at my University was killed at 10:00am the other morning while walking to class by a drunk-driving student on campus. Thats what happens when people drive drunk....

You don't deserve med school...you deserve a cell.

Hold on: Have you already gotten into medical school and now you're just not sure if you should tell the school? Is that your dilemma?

Or are you applying right now?

Haven't any of you seen Saving Grace? :laugh:

Just trying to lower the hostility...

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps the OP wasn't immensely intoxicated while driving. It doesn't take much to get a dui, and for some people this level is far from inebriation.

Morality aside: If the charge shows up as reckless driving, I sort of doubt you'll have a problem. If the word "drunk" shows up anywhere nearby, you may have some difficulties...

Is the academic action noted in your school records? And if so, how is it noted?

The illegal action of "reckless driving" (although it reeks of DUI) will probably not in and of itself hurt you...

"Perhaps the OP wasn't immensely intoxicated while driving. It doesn't take much to get a dui, and for some people this level is far from inebriation."

The amount of alcohol in a person's system is irrelevant so to speak.

The issue is the fact that the person made the choice to drive after consuming alcohol whether it was 1 beer or 10 beers, the person has made a decision to endanger the lives of others where there are other, safer, viable alternatives (walking, calling a friend or a cab).

To me, to make this decision implies a lack of morality and responsibility, qualities a doctor should represent.

I certainly wouldn't trust a physician who had a prior DUI conviction to perform any surgery on me.

"Perhaps the OP wasn't immensely intoxicated while driving. It doesn't take much to get a dui, and for some people this level is far from inebriation."

The issue is the fact that the person made the choice to drive after consuming alcohol whether it was 1 beer or 10 beers, the person has made a decision to endanger the lives of others where there are other, safer, viable alternatives (walking, calling a friend or a cab).

To me, to make this decision implies a lack of morality and responsibility, qualities a doctor should represent.

I certainly wouldn't trust a physician who had a prior DUI conviction to perform any surgery on me.

If you don't distinguish between one drink and 10 drinks, you're just another ass.

It shows a lack of maturity on your part. I'd rather live in a society that allows driving after a couple drinks than one that shoots at first sip.

Even if it was 15 years prior? Really?

If you don't distinguish between one drink and 10 drinks, you're just another ass.

It shows a lack of maturity on your part. I'd rather live in a society that allows driving after a couple drinks than one that shoots at first sip.
Not sure if that last part was referring ot me or not...but if it was ...I stated in my post that DRUNK drivers should be shot...not drivers who merely had a zip of alcohol.

Even if it was 15 years prior? Really?

Really, 15 years ago that drunk could have hit my car on the way home and injured me (maybe a little extreme but nonetheless).

Besides that, I believe there is data that highly shows correlation between alcohol abuse and drunk driving (meaning that it isn't just someone getting caught that one time but rather someone finally getting caught). I dont want an alcoholic operating on me.

Finally, if that person was stupid enough to make the decision to drive while intoxicated when there are so many easy ways to get home safe, how can I be sure he wont make a stupid decision in the OR.

Alcohol impairs you ability to drive. End of story.

Call a cab and it will never be an issue.

There is a big difference between having one or a few drinks and being intoxicated to the level of not being able to drive. Are you saying that having a sip of beer is the same as being completely annihilated? Also, driving without a full night of rest is probably multitudes more dangerous than driving on a small volume of alcohol.

There is a big difference between having one or a few drinks and being intoxicated to the level of not being able to drive. Are you saying that having a sip of beer is the same as being completely annihilated? Also, driving without a full night of rest is probably multitudes more dangerous than driving on a small volume of alcohol.

Obviously not a sip of beer...that is ridiculous. But there is data that shows that 1 beer affects judgement and decisions. Therefore, do not drive.

A study by Texas A&M University's Center for Alcohol and Drug Education Studies shows that even a small amount of alcohol - in many cases, as few as one or two beers - can seriously affect judgment and driving decisions. The study's bottom line: Even if you've consumed very little alcohol, your decision-making skills are hampered more than you realize and the results could be deadly considering that nationally, 38 percent of all traffic deaths involve alcohol

Now you show me the data on lack of sleep and impaired driving.

Really, 15 years ago that drunk could have hit my car on the way home and injured me (maybe a little extreme but nonetheless).

Besides that, I believe there is data that highly shows correlation between alcohol abuse and drunk driving (meaning that it isn't just someone getting caught that one time but rather someone finally getting caught). I dont want an alcoholic operating on me.

Finally, if that person was stupid enough to make the decision to drive while intoxicated when there are so many easy ways to get home safe, how can I be sure he wont make a stupid decision in the OR.

Wow, you're really a hardliner. May the people you meet be less judgmental than yourself.

I don't know how I feel about "drunk driving" in general but I will say that there are ALL kinds of people in this world and I DO accept that people can change, people can grow, people can make stupid one-time mistakes, etc.

Obviously I don't want an alcoholic operating on me either. But to condemn every surgeon who has ever had a DUI in his/her life (be it now or 15 years ago) is entirely unreasonable IMHO.

I do not mean to sound overly judgemental..we all make mistakes obviously myself included.

I just view certain "mistakes" as crossing a line that I cannot except. For example, drunk driving, rape, and murder.

Drunk driving irks me the most because it is so easy for it not to be a problem (cab etc as I have said a couple times in this thread)

I do not mean to sound overly judgemental..we all make mistakes obviously myself included.

I just view certain "mistakes" as crossing a line that I cannot except. For example, drunk driving, rape, and murder.

Drunk driving irks me the most because it is so easy for it not to be a problem (cab etc as I have said a couple times in this thread)
hahaha sorry this is a tangent...but the way you worded it made it sound as if Rape and murder are "hard" to prevent from becoming a problem....maybe it sjust me.

hahaha sorry this is a tangent...but the way you worded it made it sound as if Rape and murder are "hard" to prevent from becoming a problem....maybe it sjust me.

Not just you, Chubs.

Believe me, rape isn't so hard to prevent...just bring me the rapist and a machete and I can make damn sure he never does it again.

Not just you, Chubs.

Believe me, rape isn't so hard to prevent...just bring me the rapist and a machete and I can make damn sure he never does it again.
My boys shrivel up just reading this.

You're way too judgemental.

There are plenty of non-drinking folks that can't drive, even after a cup of coffee.

There are also lots of people who care about others and can manage to drive home after two beers without falling asleep and running over children.

Yeah you guys are right, poor wording on my part. Sorry about that.

I think you can understand my general point though...DD can be prevented.

By the way, I like your biblical sense of justice (eye for an eye...)

My boys shrivel up just reading this.

I tend to have that effect on guys ;).

(jk).

Seriously, though, rape is by FAR more preventable I mean COME ON. If it's really much easier to hold down a struggling, screaming woman or man than have a drink too many...I suggest psychiatric counseling. Or something. (And this from the machete-woman).

You're way too judgemental.

There are plenty of non-drinking folks that can't drive, even after a cup of coffee.

There are also lots of people who care about others and can manage to drive home after two beers without falling asleep and running over children.

Fine, if you know people willing to risk driving after consuming two beers even though plenty of evidence exists to show it impairs driving, then they should expect to be judged harshly when their driving results in the maiming or killing of others.

I tend to have that effect on guys ;).

(jk).

Seriously, though, rape is by FAR more preventable I mean COME ON. If it's really much easier to hold down a struggling, screaming woman or man than have a drink too many...I suggest psychiatric counseling. Or something. (And this from the machete-woman).

Once again, sorry about that poor wording. I certainly did not mean to imply that rape or murder were easy to prevent at all. Typing to fast I suppose.

Once again, sorry about that poor wording. I certainly did not mean to imply that rape or murder were easy to prevent at all. Typing to fast I suppose.

ok. agreed. drunk driving is (usually) preventable.

So many people in here making very harsh statements. Not everyone pretends to be perfect, and certainly some people serious have issues that they must deal with. Poor judgement on the OP's part, especially since he did this while applying to medical school.

TO THE OP: You better notify the school and hope that they don't cut you loose. Perhaps next time you will think of what can happen if you do something illegal, knowing that it may destroy your future.

Research shows that the very last person capable of evaluating the diminishment in driving skills after a few drinks is the drinker himself. Drinkers always overestimate their ability to drive safely.

Pretty simple rule of thumb: if you drink, don't drive. How hard is that?

Not sure about "multitudes" but driving while sleep impaired is a ticketable offense, too, so what's your point?

If you drink, don't drive. Driving while seriously sleep impaired is quite foolish, too.

Not sure about "multitudes" but driving while sleep impaired is a ticketable offense, too, so what's your point?

Guess we're gonna have to ban residency programs as well since they put so many sleep deprived drivers on the road.

Fine, if you know people willing to risk driving after consuming two beers even though plenty of evidence exists to show it impairs driving, then they should expect to be judged harshly when their driving results in the maiming or killing of others.

2 beers? The maiming or killing of others? Have you reviewed any of the evidence that shows that it is the excessively intoxicated individuals driving with BACs over 0.16 that are responsible for the vast majority of the maiming and killing of others?

Driving while sleep-deprived, operating a cell phone while driving, eating or engaging in other distracting activities while driving all have been shown to reduce reaction times commensurate with the consumption of varying levels of alcohol. Would you not want someone who was talking on his cell phone to ever operate on you either? Good luck finding a surgeon.

Everyone always talks about this vague concept of placing others at risk after consuming small amounts of alcohol, but I've never heard someone explain how precisely this occurs. If I have a glass of wine at dinner and then drive home, follow traffic laws, maintain my lane, do not speed excessively, stop at red lights and stop signs, how am I placing anyone at risk? Are you suggesting I should be held accountable because my reaction time is 0.1 second slower when some sober idiot reaching for his donut on the floor runs a light and I can't avoid him? It is only in those circumstances - when someone else is placing *me* at risk - that I can see that the alcohol would have any effect, and even then less so than with so many other behaviors people practice on the roads without being the target of the absurd self-righteous indignation displayed here.

You know what really irks me? Judgmental ignorant asses quick to condemn others.

QFT. Wait till you drive post call in medical school/residency. It is worse than having a few drinks.

I don't condone drunk driving (and personally I don't drive at all if I'm drinking), but provided that the driver didn't hurt anyone, I wouldn't hold the offense against him/her. Everyone makes mistakes in life. Provided he/she doesn't ever repeat the same mistake (because the first time is a stupid mistake, the second time means you are a ***** who doesn't care if you put people in danger) then I wouldn't question his/her ability to be a physician.

Some premeds are so quick to point out who could or couldn't be a good doctor. "Oh no! You did <insert random act here>!!!!! You will never be a good doctor!!!!!!!!!!!! Now burn in hell!!!!!!!" :laugh:

Driving while sleep-deprived, operating a cell phone while driving, eating or engaging in other distracting activities while driving all have been shown to reduce reaction times commensurate with the consumption of varying levels of alcohol. Would you not want someone who was talking on his cell phone to ever operate on you either? Good luck finding a surgeon.

Everyone always talks about this vague concept of placing others at risk after consuming small amounts of alcohol, but I've never heard someone explain how precisely this occurs. If I have a glass of wine at dinner and then drive home, follow traffic laws, maintain my lane, do not speed excessively, stop at red lights and stop signs, how am I placing anyone at risk? Are you suggesting I should be held accountable because my reaction time is 0.1 second slower when some sober idiot reaching for his donut on the floor runs a light and I can't avoid him? It is only in those circumstances - when someone else is placing *me* at risk - that I can see that the alcohol would have any effect, and even then less so than with so many other behaviors people practice on the roads without being the target of the absurd self-righteous indignation displayed here.

You know what really irks me? Judgmental ignorant asses quick to condemn others.

1.That is why driving and talking on the cell phone has been made illegal in 5 states. I personally believe it should be a federal law applicable to all states.

2. It is very easy to use an example where some other "idiot" driver runs a light. What if it had been a new driver not realizing she had enough time to stop an you hit her because that 0.1 of a second matters.

My point is, really regardless of the accident, consuming alcohol impairs you ability to drive and thus you should not drive after consuming alcohol.

Anything that impairs driving should be avoided. In the case of a cell phone, you do not talk. In the case of eating, do not eat. Like DD, these are avoidable.

3. You can call me a judgmental ignorant ass if you want ,but maybe you would not have such a cavalier attitude if you had a lost a close friend to a drunk driver. If may be very easy to judge me when you have had no personal experience with the issue.