Recently discovered I have 3 IA's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MadeAFewMistakes

Reaction score
So some background information. I graduated from undergrad in 2016, making my freshmen year 2012. While filling out my AMCAS application this year I checked the box saying I have had no IA's because I did not remember having any disciplinary actions against me. However, recently I was reading forums and discovered that IA's do not have to mean I was punished for something. I contacted my undergrad school and they said I have three IA's. One is cut and dry I had an underage drinking minor my freshmen year and have gotten it expunged, but my school asked me to see a counselor to talk about the dangers of alcohol abuse. I felt like the required meeting was to help me in case I had an issue, but it turns out it is on my school record. The second incident was when I attended a dorm party, which had alcohol. I was not drinking but was written up and was asked to have a meeting with someone who was trying to get me to tell them who's was the person supplying alcohol. I didn't know and wouldn't have told them even if I did, but none-the-less I did not remember this instant when filling out my apps and still do not see it as a disciplinary action. The third incident happened while I was leaving the homecoming concert my freshmen year. I was detained for suspicion of stealing merchandise from a vendor. This was a false accusation. I did not steal anything and they had no evidence against me, but they took down my name and contacted the school. The school told me to have a meeting and I explained they had me mistaken and that I never took anything. There was no further action besides the fact that this is now on my record. Since I have already submitted my primary app AMCAS has informed me that I am unable to change this information and I should just email the schools directly, which I plan to do. Is all hope lost?? should I just apply to DO and disclose these issues upfront on my primary. Is the Carribean my only option??

Members don't see this ad.

I have no idea what to tell you to do but why would you think DO schools overlook IAs?

I don’t think OP thinks they will overlook IA’s but like they said if they applied to DO (a separate app) they would be able to disclose and describe those IA’s -Opposed to not being able to change something already sent in for the MD cycle.

Reactions: 1 user