Recently Married and Starting Medical School

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by JellyBean, Aug 1, 2000.

1. JellyBean

JellyBean Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I was just recently married and will be starting medical school in a couple of weeks. If you are a medical student, how have you delt with the time constrants of school and home. What special things have you done to with your spouse to ease the transition from a regular life to one that now be a little more stressful. Also, how have you delt with the study time vs. time with your spouse?

------------------
    The better part of one's life consists of his friendships.
    ....Abraham Lincoln

AllAdvantage.com http://www.alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=bta487

[This message has been edited by JellyBean (edited 08-01-2000).]

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. tonem

tonem Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Actually, being married can be a big advantage while in medical school. It's very nice to have a strong support system at home. I think the key to maintianing your relationship with your spouse is good time management. You have to set aside time to study and time to spend with your family. Congratulations and good luck.

4. On a related note, I was thinking about getting married right before I start med school. (if I get in)

Is that a bad/good idea? Should I wait till after med school? I thought about waiting till residency but then it will be even worse won't it? I dont think I can wait until after residency.. after all I'll be 30 something by then.

------------------
    "There is nothing more powerful on this Earth as a man who has nothing to lose. It does not take ten such men to change the world--one will do." Elijah Mohammed

5. Cameron

Cameron Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Baylor21,
    I don't think that there will ever be a "perfect time" for you to get married. Your medical education will be followed by a busy lifestyle -- so why not go through it all with someone you love by your side? [​IMG] I've been married for two years and hope to attend medical school next year. My wife and I both realize that it will take a lot of effort and good time-management to make it work. However, as Tonem mentioned, I will greatly appreciate the support I will have at home during the stressful periods of med school.

JellyBean -- I don't think you'll be alone in this situation. I know many married med students that have made it work and have been happy. I think the key is a that both partners are understanding and supportive of each other. I'm sure you'll do fine. Best of luck to you! Please drop back in during the coming year and pass along any pointers that'll make it easier for the rest of us married people!

- Cameron

6. Congrats and Good Luck. Send your spouse over to http://www.medicalspouse.com ... to find support for herself/himself!

Sincerly,

Kristen

7. JellyBean

JellyBean Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Cameron, Tonem and Kmmath,
    Thank you for the wonderful pieces of advice! I know that starting a marriage and starting medical school is going to be stressful. I just hope this transition goes smoothly. I will tell my spouse about the www.medicalspouse.com site. Thanks

------------------
    The better part of one's life consists of his friendships.
    ....Abraham Lincoln

AllAdvantage.com http://www.alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=bta487

[This message has been edited by JellyBean (edited 08-02-2000).]