Recieved terrible MCAT results today... cGPA 3.93

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicMike13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just got my MCAT scores back and am really depressed lol so I thought it would be a great time for my first post on here.
I ended up getting a score in the mid 20's
I really do not want to retake :( and am planning on applying this cycle. If I dont get I'll retake for next cycle. (maybe once the smoke clears I will change my mind).

some of my other stats...
cGPA 3.93 sGPA 3.90
-I am a certified paramedic in my homestate of Ohio (non URM)
-Full time Suture Technician at Children's Hospital for the past 3 years.
-Volunteer Firefighter/Paramedic for 1 year (over 250 hours)
-2 time presenter at Wound Care Conference
-Suture instructor for 8 hours at NEOMED for procedure workshop (taught 3rd year medical school students to suture)
-Full time Nursing Assistant on trauma unit (during paramedic school)
-Just started a randomized double blind clinical trial in April (almost ready for submission to IRB)
-Shadowed DO for 30 hours
-Shadowed MD for 50 hours
-A couple other small non-clinical volunteer activities (marathon relay runner for cancer benefit, volunteer at church soup kitchen for 20 hours)

I really need some help creating my school list and was wondering if anyone had input on my chance for DO or low teir MD

so far I was thinking....

MD
NEOMED
U of Toledo
Wright State
Central Mich
U of Mississippi
U of Kansas

DO
VCOM
VCOM-CC
Ohio University
PCOM
PCOM-Georgia
Campbell
Pikesville
Midwest in Chicago
UNECOM
LECOM

Any other suggestions or comments wound be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Personally, with a GPA like that, I think you're really screwing yourself over by not retaking. Your med school list would probably completely change if you got a better score.

I wanna make love to your ECs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I can tell you that the University of Kansas strongly prefers in-state students, not to mention the median MCAT there is 28-29, I believe. Good luck with everything!

I know today was probably a shock to get your scores. But if I were in your shoes, I'd definitely retake. My friend scored below 27 the first time and above 35 the second time, and he had really great acceptances this past cycle. I agree with the poster who wrote that your MD list would change (to include mid tier schools) with a better MCAT score.

Just one other thing to note, I think one other drawback in your application is that you haven't done research (correct me if I'm wrong). If you have done other in progress or completed research in addition to starting that clinical study, that is definitely something you want to add to your application.

I completely agree with 09ine.

Don't apply this cycle. Just take a year off and study like mad on the MCAT. If you boost that MCAT score, you will be a shoe-in for medical school. With Just a 30 on the MCAT, you have an 80% chance of getting into medical school based on just GPA/MCAT alone.

Don't waste your money and time applying this cycle. If you are white, you are really fighting a current.

A retake is pretty much required. Don't bother with MD with a 24 (esp. one with as poor of a balance as yours). That score would generally place you in the scraping the bottom of the barrel for DO programs bucket. You would also qualify for podiatry (DPM) programs. That said, your GPA is great, so retake! No point in letting a bad MCAT keep you down. Retake and apply next cycle.

You'll get in this cycle. Probably not MD, but your mcat is below average and your gpa is way above average for DO. You'll get an acceptance. No argument. Your ECs are great. The problem is that you have a red flag that you are too lazy to fix and for the life of me I can't figure out why. Yes the mcat sucks, but why go to a low tier/new DO school that puts out mostly family docs in crappy locations, when a retake can put you into a decent MD school. It is like paying an extra $500/month in health insurance because you don't want to put in the effort to lose 5 lbs to get to the lower bracket. It doesn't make sense for you not to retake.

Thanks for the input everyone. I wouldn't say that it's laziness so much as timing, and weighing the pro's of a better school vs the cons of sitting out this year. This may not seem like a big deal but I am getting married this year and we are talking about maybe starting a family in the near future and honestly I'm just ready for the next phase of this process. I'm sure there are some people out there that can relate to this (?). Also, I'm not convinced that being a DO is such a terrible tragedy. I've met DO's that are great docs and my fair share pretty crappy MD's, and haven't personally noticed a trend based on this status. At the end of the day my real dream is to be a doctor. Although it seems like a brainless decision to some of you, I feel that there are more variable than just the numbers.

You can retake it and still apply this cycle with some success. I did that exact same thing. I took the MCAT in April, got a 31 (which wasn't high enough for the combined degree programs I was applying to), got the scores back in may, scheduled my next MCAT for august, and studied my ass off. I got a 37 the second time around and was quite happy. I would suggest submitting your primaries and secondaries still as early as you can. Based on your ECs and everything, schools may offer you secondaries/interviews without that new MCAT if they see you're retaking it.

Agree with previous posters about taking a year off. You want to show schools that you will do dramatically better on a retake and that this test was a fluke. Put the time in, get a 30+ score, go to med school, ???, profit.

You can retake it and still apply this cycle with some success. I did that exact same thing. I took the MCAT in April, got a 31 (which wasn't high enough for the combined degree programs I was applying to), got the scores back in may, scheduled my next MCAT for august, and studied my ass off. I got a 37 the second time around and was quite happy. I would suggest submitting your primaries and secondaries still as early as you can. Based on your ECs and everything, schools may offer you secondaries/interviews without that new MCAT if they see you're retaking it.

How did you prepare for the MCAT? Tips please! I plan to retake in August.

Very simple. Pick yourself back up and RETAKE. Dont let this exam(maybe another 2 months of studying) affect your years of work. your everythingelse is very very good. Schools will want to see that you are serious and competitive. Only way to show is to retake. It's a tough pill to swallow but you can do it.

mississippi does not take non-residents

I had previously taken a Princeton review course before my first MCAT but had not had the time to dedicate towards all of the assignments, so I was using their book set.

Only you know how you learn best. I knew that I remember things if I write them down, particularly if I use flashcards. Evaluate how you learn best and be honest with yourself! (I.e. Trying to read a textbook with your favorite show on in the background works for a much smaller percentage than those who wish it did).

With that in mind, I took a full length practice mcat to assess where my weaknesses were (I had several left over from the Princeton review course). Then Monday thru Friday, I came home from work and focused on the biggest areas of weakness I had assessed from that test for about 2-4 hrs a night. I took another test on Saturday morning, looked at the results to identify areas of weakness, took Sunday off, and repeated this until a week before my actual test. Then I did a slightly lighter general review of problem areas (I struggle with E&M in physics) and did something relaxing the night before.

The key in this strategy is the taking an mcat every week. It not only allows you to pick up on patterns, it builds up your stamina so that taking a 6 hr test isn't that big of a deal (so you should always include the writing portion even though there's no real way to have it graded that I know of).

Stick to a steady study schedule (I also suggest one that doesnt take more than 1 or 2 days away from verbal passage practice at a time) and you should see some improvement.

Good luck! :)

Thanks for the input everyone. I wouldn't say that it's laziness so much as timing, and weighing the pro's of a better school vs the cons of sitting out this year. This may not seem like a big deal but I am getting married this year and we are talking about maybe starting a family in the near future and honestly I'm just ready for the next phase of this process. I'm sure there are some people out there that can relate to this (?). Also, I'm not convinced that being a DO is such a terrible tragedy. I've met DO's that are great docs and my fair share pretty crappy MD's, and haven't personally noticed a trend based on this status. At the end of the day my real dream is to be a doctor. Although it seems like a brainless decision to some of you, I feel that there are more variable than just the numbers.

Getting married + starting a family + M1 sounds pretty crazy for a year. If it were me I would either buckle down and retake an early August MCAT or take a year off, get married, retake the MCAT and come back strong next year. I know the feeling of wanting that "next step", but once you get started down the med school road it doesn't stop for a long time, 1 extra year is nothing in the scheme of things when a better MCAT score could completely change your school list.

btw, what were your MCAT practice scores and how many did you take? Was this way way below average or just 2-4 points below?