Recipes for Fast/Healthy meals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JourneyToMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So.................. since I'll be "cooking" to stay alive and well in med school, I was wondering if we could share recipes on everything from breakfast food to sandwiches. I know you could "get free deli sandwiches or pizza from the lunch lectures", but I'm talking about actually making my own meals. I want food that's easy and quick to make... so... please, share!:D

Members don't see this ad.

I get salmon loaves from Sam's Club, a wholesale chain. I break up a loaf into meal-sized chunks, put each into Zip-loc bags, and put those into the freezer. For dinner, I take one out, thaw it in the microwave. While that's going on, I heat the oven to 375 and cook 1/3 cup of rice in 2/3 cups of water. I also thaw a few cups of frozen vegetables in a pot with ~1 inch of water in the bottom.

Next I get a dish and put olive oil and Worcester sauce to act as a marinade for the salmon. I put the thawed salmon in the marinade, add sage, lemon, whatever, and put it in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Everything else cooks during this time.

Serve the salmon over the rice with vegetables on the side. If you're quick, you're only preparing for ~10 mins and can walk away after that.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the morning:

Put in the blender some classic/plain oatmeal and milk (~half and half)

In a separate pan, heat water with cinammon (stick or powder variety, does not matter), and brown sugar to your taste.

Once the stuff in the pan is boiling or near boiling, add your blended oatmeal+milk to it. Simmer until it thickens.

Enjoy (especially great during cold winter mornings :) ).

(You can also blend in chocolate powder or bananas in with the oatmeal+milk to make your oatmeal a different flavor. Or just add pieces of fruit at the end. Accompany with toast/bagels, or whatever else you like with your oatmeal.)

Oatmeal made this way doesn't look like someone already ate it, it looks more like oatmeal cream, and it's delicious. Kids will eat it!
Also, buying the classic oatmeal buckets is super cheap (as compared to the packaged variety), and they will last for a long, long time.

Just have cold cereal in the morning. If you want to get really healthy have some cheerios and some type of bran cereal like raisin bran to have a nice soluble/insoluble fiber mix. Sprinkle some cinnamon on it, a banana, and some berries. Drink it with lowfat milk or soymilk. Add some orange/other type of juice and you are good to go.

I guess I should add something if I want to help keep it going, so...
in addition to the good old quick stirfries, rice, and pasta dishes, I like to make soups because they work so well as leftovers and freeze well too.
This is my fav corn chowder recipe- it looks long, but it is VERY adjustable, so if you don't have/don't like onions, celery, garlic etc, just leave them out. Frozen corn and a few potatoes are the easiest things in the world to have on hand. I promise it is quick and easy. If you don't have a blender you can use a potato masher or any other such object to thicken it up.

Potato Corn Chowder
From Jeanne Lemlin's "Quick Vegetarian Pleasures"

Ingredients:
1 T. unsalted butter
2 T. olive oil
2 medium onions, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 t. paprika
4 cups vegetable stock
2 large potatoes, peeled and finely diced (I use Yukon gold)
1 celery rib, very thinly sliced
1 bay leaf
1/2 t. salt
1 t. sugar
freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 cups corn kernels
5 scallions, thinly sliced
1 cup milk
1/4 t. thyme
few dashes cayenne pepper
1/4 c. sour cream.

Cooking instructions:
In a large stockpot, combine the butter, olive oil, onions and garlic and saute over medium heat until the onions are tender but not brown, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle on the paprika, toss, and cook 1 minute.
Add the stock, potatoes, celery, bay leaf, salt, sugar, and pepper. Cook, partially covered, until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in the corn and scallions, and cook 2 minutes more. Remove the bay leaf (Otherwise, you do what I did and puree it. Yuck)
Scoop out 2 + cups of the chowder and set it aside. Puree the remainder and return it to the pot. Stir in the reserve chowder, the milk, thyme, and cayenne pepper. Cook five minutes more. Serve in bowls with a spoonful of sour cream on top.

Check out cambellskitchen.com for lots of easy recipes you can make using campbell's soups. Costco sells pre-marinated chicken that you can just defrost and bake (cook time ~30-35 minutes).

If that takes too long, Costco also sells Tyson pre-cooked chicken breasts in flavors like teriyaki and mesquite. You can get a bag of 19-20 chicken breasts for $13. Pop a couple in the microwave and make a side of rice or steamed vegetables. They're low-fat and packed with protein. The best part is, the whole meal takes about 10 minutes!

For breakfast, I'm addicted to eggs. A couple of eggs with some whole-grain bread will keep you full all day. If you're worried about cholesterol, try Eggland's Best Eggs, which have less cholesterol than regular eggs (and personally I think they taste better too).

For breakfast, I'm addicted to eggs. A couple of eggs with some whole-grain bread will keep you full all day. If you're worried about cholesterol, try Eggland's Best Eggs, which have less cholesterol than regular eggs (and personally I think they taste better too).
...or Egg Beaters or similar store/generic brand of liquid egg whites.

I love the idea of having healthy recipes. Some of the best things to have on hand are frozen chicken breasts (can get a large bag in the freezer section of the store) and garlic, which will add a stronger flavor to anything that you cook. Sometimes I'll add it in recipes even if they don't call for it. If you find a recipe that calls for condensed soup, try to get the low sodium/low fat stuff. It's only a 10-20 cents more per can.

Another thing that's quick and easy is getting a slow cooker. You can prepare things the night before, cover it, and put it in the refridgerator. In the morning before going to school, take it out and set it up for cooking as your recipe indicates and it will be ready when you come home. I don't have any recipes for it yet, but you can find some with a search online or in books at the bookstore.

Here's some of my favorites. I like to keep a file on my computer that I constantly update with my own tips at the end. Enjoy! :)

Pepper Steak

Marinade: amount depends on how much meat you have, or to taste.
About < cup soy sauce
1 or 2 minced garlic cloves, or a couple teaspoons of minced garlic
Couple shakes of ground ginger

Round steak, trimmed of fat, and cut into bite sized pieces
14 oz can of stewed tomatoes
1 medium onion chopped
1 medium green pepper, cleaned and cut
Cornstarch and water for thickening

Brown meat, onion, and green pepper in a teaspoon of hot oil
When meat is done, and veggies soft, add can of stewed tomatoes

Bring to a boil, and when heated through, add the cornstarch/water and continue to boil, stirring until thickened

**I usually make this with rice, and this makes a lot of pepper steak. Obviously it's an easy thing to add/subtract ingredients

Caramelized-Garlic Chicken from https://www.eatbetteramerica.com

Ingredients:
-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
-2 teaspoons olive, canola, or soybean oil
-4 teaspoons packed brown sugar
-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/4 lb)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 500oF. Line shallow baking pan with foil; spray foil with cooking spray
2. In 8" nonstick skillet, cook garlic in oil over medium-low heat 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until garlic begins to soften. Remove from heat. Stir in brown sugar until well mixed.
3. Place chicken in pan. Spread garlic mixture evenly over chicken.
4. Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until juice of chicken is clear when center of thickest part is cut (1700F).

**usually half the recipe and have four meals for myself. Meat stays really moist even at the high temps. Usually add a rice/pasta side and a veggie.

Seasoned Chicken Strips from "Light and Tasty" Magazine

Makes 4 servings

1/3 cup egg substitute
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
1 garlic clove, minced
3/4 cup dried bread crumbs
2 teaspoons dried basil
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 pound chicken tenderloins

In a shallow bowl, combine the egg substitute, mustard, and garlic. In another shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, basil, paprika, salt, and pepper. Dip the chicken in egg mixture, then roll in crumbs.

Place on baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 400oF for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown and juices run clear.

**used 1.3 lbs of chicken and still had leftover egg mixture and crumb mixture
**used 2 eggs instead of egg substitute, but didn't like as much. Harder to coat the chicken
**used one packet of Dijon mustard instead of 1 tbl. prepared mustard.

**These are easy to make and then freeze so that you have on hand. Much better tasting and better for you than the frozen ones at the store or fast food.

Smothered Chicken Italiano from "Light and Tasty" Magazine

Makes 4 servings

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1 cup crushed tomatoes
4 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese

In small bowl, combine the oregano, garlic powder, 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; rub over chicken. In a large nonstick skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, brown chicken in oil for 3-4 minutes on each side.

Transfer to an 11" x 7" x 2" baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. Combine ricotta cheese and remaining salt and pepper; spoon over chicken. Top with tomatoes.

Bake, uncovered, at 350oF for 15 minutes. Top with cheese. Bake 5 to 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and chicken juices run clear.

**Usually make with side of whole grain pasta (bow tie or rotini) and a red sauce, veggie, and bread with dipping oil

Herb Chicken Tortellini Soup from http://www.allrecipes.com (a site I love)

Makes 6 servings (actually, it feeds about 4)

1 (9 ounce) package BUITONI&#174; refrigerated Herb Chicken Tortellini
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, chopped
6 cups chicken broth (use low-sodium)
1 cup water
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 carrot, peeled and shredded
4 cups thinly sliced fresh spinach leaves
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (optional)

HEAT olive oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic.
COOK, stirring occasionally for 1 minute. Add broth, water and Italian seasoning; bring to a boil. Add pasta and carrot; reduce heat to medium.
COOK, stirring occasionally for 8 minutes. Stir in spinach.
COOK for 1 to 2 minutes or until wilted.
SERVE immediately. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and freshly ground pepper, if desired.

**Instead of peeling the carrot, I throw in a small package of baby carrots (cutting in half if they are still large). I don't like spinach, so I leave that out.

Chicken and Dumplings from allrecipes.com

Makes 6 servings

6 boneless chicken thighs
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup (low-sodium)
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup (low-sodium)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 (12 ounce) package refrigerated biscuit dough
Baby carrots to desired amount

In a large pot over high heat, combine the chicken with enough water to cover, and boil for 15 to 20 minutes. Drain some of the water from the pot, reserving 3 cups in the pot. Remove chicken and allow it to cool, then pull it apart into bite size pieces, return to pot. Reduce heat to medium, and add the cans of condensed soup and baby carrots. Season with salt and pepper. Pull the biscuit dough into pieces, and add to the soup. Simmer over medium heat for 7 to 8 minutes, or until the dough is cooked through.

**Actual recipe calls for 2 cans of cream of celery, but I like the chicken with it. For some reason, this also tastes better the second day than right after cooking.

Just have cold cereal in the morning. If you want to get really healthy have some cheerios and some type of bran cereal like raisin bran to have a nice soluble/insoluble fiber mix. Sprinkle some cinnamon on it, a banana, and some berries. Drink it with lowfat milk or soymilk. Add some orange/other type of juice and you are good to go.

I've been eating a bowl of Total with Raisins and then a bowl of some other cereal each morning. It's amazing how a lot of cereals have changed to whole grains and so they all have a decent amount of fiber. Total has a lot of it (plus other vitamins/minerals).

Another good way to load up on fiber is to switch to a whole grain bread, which sometimes does not cost any more than white bread loafs. I tend to eat PB&J sandwiches and baby carrots any time that I need to eat at school, and that saves a lot of money and is much healthier.

One more thing - drink lots of water. Though this is something you should know is good for you to do, you'd be amazed at how much money you can save by doing that rather than drinking lots of soda. A gallon at the store runs me 69 cents and so I bring water with me everywhere I go.

I've been eating a bowl of Total with Raisins and then a bowl of some other cereal each morning. It's amazing how a lot of cereals have changed to whole grains and so they all have a decent amount of fiber. Total has a lot of it (plus other vitamins/minerals).

Another good way to load up on fiber is to switch to a whole grain bread, which sometimes does not cost any more than white bread loafs. I tend to eat PB&J sandwiches and baby carrots any time that I need to eat at school, and that saves a lot of money and is much healthier.

One more thing - drink lots of water. Though this is something you should know is good for you to do, you'd be amazed at how much money you can save by doing that rather than drinking lots of soda. A gallon at the store runs me 69 cents and so I bring water with me everywhere I go.

Agreed on the water, but I also tend to drink a lot of juice. If you get the right kinds without added sugar you can drink something good that is good for you.

Here's a recipe for cheap chocolate cake. It also happens to be vegan. It's a great depression era recipe so to be cheap, it doesn't call for any animal ingredients which were expensive, like eggs. It doesn't always end up lookign good but really, it's very tasty.

Frosting (this is seriously good stuff):
1 pound confectioner's sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup margarine
1/4 cup vanilla soy milk
2 tsp vanilla extract

Mix sugar, salt, margarine. Add soy milk and extract slowly, beating until smooth. Use immediately over cooled cake.

Cake:
3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
6 tbsp cocoa
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tbsp white vinegar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups cold water
Fruit jam filling (optional)

Mix dry ingredients, then add wet ingredients. Stir until smooth. Bake in floured, greased pans at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. You can make two 8 or 9 inch round cakes and use fruit jam for filling or one regular 9X13 inch cake. once cakes are cooled, ice using frosting recipe above.

Members don't see this ad :)
depending on where you live, I would scope out any Asian markets (or a Chinatown) that are relatively close by. They have really good prices on veges, fruits, and cuts of meat. I usually stock up to two weeks to a months supply of groceries. I usually store the meat in the freezer and thaw out in the fridge the night before I'm going to use it. I really don't have any good recipes...but what I usually do to marinate my meat is throw in pepper, salt, garlic salt, steak sauce, soy sauce, basil, sugar, sesame oil, and maybe some hot sauce, this i do in the morning, which takes a few minutes, and then i just pan fry it, which takes 10 minutes (depending on how you like your meat) :D

depending on where you live, I would scope out any Asian markets (or a Chinatown) that are relatively close by. They have really good prices on veges, fruits, and cuts of meat. I usually stock up to two weeks to a months supply of groceries. I usually store the meat in the freezer and thaw out in the fridge the night before I'm going to use it. I really don't have any good recipes...but what I usually do to marinate my meat is throw in pepper, salt, garlic salt, steak sauce, soy sauce, basil, sugar, sesame oil, and maybe some hot sauce, this i do in the morning, which takes a few minutes, and then i just pan fry it, which takes 10 minutes (depending on how you like your meat) :D

I should try marinating that way. Do you do it with beef or chicken or both?

If I'm just marinating chicken, I throw two chicken breasts in a zippie with some light Italian dressing. Then they go in the oven on a foil-lined cookie sheet (less mess!) for 30-45 minutes at 400oF.

I should try marinating that way. Do you do it with beef or chicken or both?

If I'm just marinating chicken, I throw two chicken breasts in a zippie with some light Italian dressing. Then they go in the oven on a foil-lined cookie sheet (less mess!) for 30-45 minutes at 400oF.

Mostly beef. If you have ever tried Korean BBQ it sorta tastes like that. I have trouble with chicken, probably because it costs more, especially if i want skinless and boneless :oops:.

The Tyson frozen chickens breasts in various flavors are the best! One of my favorite quick meals uses the pre-seasoned buffalo chiken breast strips.

Take 2 strips out of the freezer and cook them in the microwave for 3 minutes or so. While that is happening, put some celery pieces (you can get them pre-cleaned or go cheap and do it yourself), a couple of lettuce leaves, and some low-fat blue cheese dressing on a tortilla or square "roll-up" wrap (I get the ones with flax in them, they're way high in fiber). When the chicken strips are done, throw it on the wrap, roll it up, and you're done. I actually had one of these at a fairly expensive chain restaurant for $10. To make it yourself costs 5 minutes and about $1.00. Not bad! Have it with some carrots to complete to buffalo chicken experience!

AM: have a bagel with cream cheese and a coffee. Granola bars are pretty good.

Lunch: Tuna fish with crackers, a few slices of cheese and some chopped veggies. Chicken salad with the crackers, etc. Make pasta at night and mix with herbs, little olive oil, feta cheese, veggies and eat cold the next day. Soup, A green apple with a couple slices of sharp chedder or other cheese and some crackers.

Dinner: Get a crockpot. Throw in some meat (chk, beef, pork) add some water, salt, garlic, spices. Cook most of the day. Add some barbecue sauce as soon as you get home and let cook till ready to eat. Or you can add veggies: pots, onions, carrots, beef broth and have a stew. Spagetti is pretty easy.
Crazin Pesto Chicken (invented this one myself):
Skinless boneless chicken breasts.
Crazins( the dried cranberries)
Cream cheese
Shredded sharp cheese of choice
pesto sauce
pasta

Mix cheeses and cranberries. Place in center of chicken breast and then roll breast up. Paste pesto onto the chicken breast sprinkle some craberries in the pan to cook with the pesto. Cook till done about 30-40 min in oven.

Cook pasta and add pesto sauce to taste. Serve Chiicken with pasta.

Easy Couscous Soup:

In a saucepan put:
1 cup water w/a boullion cube
About 1/2-1 cup frozen veggies of your choice
1/3 cup dried couscous either italian or israeli (larger balls)
lot's of pepper
sometimes I like to add seasonings such as asian mix etc.
When the water bowls crack an egg into the center and continue cooking unto the egg is cooked.
Takes about 5 minutes for the whole recipie. I add an egg for protein but you don't have too.

I’ve been trying to eat healthy/get in shape before school starts later this year (hope these lifestyle changes last beyond orientation week :D), here’s a list of a few recipes I’ve been using—they’re all easy to make and quite yummy, but I should probably mention that most of these are vegetarian options, though I'm sure they can be easily modified into non-vegetarian ones.
Breakfast Ideas:
-Kashi waffles (the blueberry ones are great) w/ sugar-free or low sugar syrup and some bananas or berries on top—sometimes fresh fruit can be expensive when out of season, so you can always use frozen berries or peaches, they’re cheap and they last a lot longer than the fresh ones

-Garden omelet w/ Eggbeaters—I spray Pam (or any cooking spray) in a non-stick pan and sauté up my favorite veggies (bell pepper, mushrooms, onion, baby spinach etc) add the eggbeaters and prepare until cooked, add salt/pepper to taste

-PB&H--2 slices of whole wheat bread (REAL whole wheat bread, none of the ‘high fructose corn syrup/partially hydrogenated oil’ funky stuff) w/ a couple tablespoons of natural peanut butter, some cinnamon and a tsp of honey

Lunch Ideas:
-Tuna Salad—6 oz water-packed, low sodium tuna, 1 tbsp low fat mayonnaise, some shredded romaine lettuce or mixed greens, 7-8 cherry tomatoes, some chopped green onion (you can totally use regular onion…but if you’re eating this at school you might want to do a quick ‘breath check’ post-lunch), 1-2 chopped celery stalks, 2 tbsp raw walnuts, some fresh basil (it can be pricy, so avoid if strapped for $$), and ½ tsp lemon juice.
This makes quite a bit of salad, so you could even portion out some for lunch and have the rest for dinner, or lunch the following day.

-Vegetable Soup—1 container vegetable broth (the one I use comes in a cardboard box…sounds scary but it’s really good!), 3-4 oz of diced, firm silken tofu, chopped veggies such as green onion, asparagus, carrots, mushrooms, & snow peas (fresh if possible, but frozen are fine too); just put all of the ingredients into a big pot and bring the whole thing to a boil. The broth is usually pretty salty, so chances are you won’t even need to add any, but you can add some pepper to taste. I usually don’t add any rice or noodles in this, but if you need some carbohydrate, you can always add some cooked, whole wheat noodles or some cooked brown rice to this right before serving.
Again, you end up with a lot, so you can always save it for another meal.
There are also tons of really good, healthy canned soups out there now, and most grocery stores operate under the premise of “5 cans for $4” or something like that, so if you’re lazy like me, you can always just buy soup (hmmm... maybe NOT condensed and NOT RAMEN)—it’s really filling and I always feel as though I’ve had something substantial.

Snack Ideas:
-Yogurt parfait—4 oz low fat or non-fat vanilla yogurt (or your favorite flavor), ¼ to ½ cup of Kashi GoLean Crunch cereal, some fruit—usually berries although sometimes I use raisins, dates or dried apricots, and some raw nuts like almonds, pistachios or walnuts. Mix & enjoy.

-Cheese & crackers-I really like Wasa crackers b/c they are 100% whole grain. Just top a cracker with low-fat cheese (I like sharp cheddar or pepper jack) and some mustard.

-An apple or banana w/ a tbsp of natural peanut butter

Dinner Ideas:
-Whole wheat pasta w/ pesto—Bring water to a boil, add salt and 1-2 servings of whole wheat pasta (I use whole wheat penne or linguini)—since it’s whole wheat, it may take a bit longer to boil than regular pasta; while the pasta cooks, you can make the pesto. Sometimes I add in some fresh broccoli or red peppers along with the pasta while it’s boiling to make it more satisfying and to get a few more veggies in for the day.
Making pesto is super easy and fast:
1 cup of fresh basil (if you can’t find basil or it’s a little out of budget, use baby spinach or arugula), 1/3 cup of olive oil (you can always cut back and use water to substitute), 3 tbsp toasted walnuts or pinenuts, 3 tbsp grated parmesan cheese, 1 large clove of garlic. Mix everything up in a blender until it is smooth, add salt to taste, makes about 2/3 of a cup. Once the pasta is cooked, drain it and add 2-3 tbsp of the pesto to the pasta. In case the pesto is a little thick, you can add some of the water that the whole wheat pasta cooked in and add it to smooth it out, something about the starch & the heat in the water makes it blend really nicely. You can keep the pesto in the fridge for up to a week, and in the freezer for up to a month.
I even use pesto as a spread on sandwiches (Oh! Spread two slices of toasted whole wheat bread w/ pesto, and add some fresh mozzarella cheese, tomato, roasted red pepper, eggplant and/or zucchini—that would make a really good lunch/dinner option)

-Red pepper salad—Combine mixed greens, 1 red pepper, 2-3 tbsp of crumbled blue cheese, 2-3 tbsp of dried cranberries or cherries, 2-3 tbsp of walnuts, a few slices of red onion, whole wheat seasoned croutons & 2 tbsp of low-fat balsamic vinegar salad dressing (Kraft makes a good one, but if you can make your own, that’s even better)

Really hope a few of these ideas help!

...or Egg Beaters or similar store/generic brand of liquid egg whites.

I get rid of some of the yolk if I'm eating more than one egg. If I make an omelette from say three or four eggs for a meal for two, I use between one to two yolks- its like you almost can't tell any difference that they've been taken out. It's cheaper if you don't want to spend the extra cash on egg beaters or similar products.