Recipes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shantster

Eye protection!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since we are all busy pre-meds who still need to eat, I was wondering if we would be able to start a thread in which people post recipes of things that are good and easy to make so that we can give each other some ideas. I'll start with one of my favorites.

Preheat the oven for 375 degrees. Take a package of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, and put as many as you need inside a 9 x 13 pan (or a smaller one if you only plan on doing one or two chicken breasts). Mix two cans of cream of chicken soup with 1 cup of white cooking wine (or a cup of chicken broth if you can't get the wine) and spread it over the top. If you don't like sauce, you can use one can with a 1/2 cup of wine. Take sliced swiss cheese and lay over the top of the sauce. Add some crushed croutons on top. Put the pan in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour, until the chicken juices are clear.

Make either rice or noodles and put the chicken and sauce on top.

It takes about 20 minutes for preparation and is quite easy. :)

I hope others have some great ideas.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, if you're in the middle of studying and you really need some sweets, check this out. It sounds crazy but try it!

Easiest Peanut Butter Cookies

Preheat oven to 325. Mix 1 cup peanut butter with 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup white sugar. Add one egg and mix well. Put tablespoon size drops of "dough" on cookie sheet, and then press down with fork. Bake for 12 minutes. You have to let them set for a few minutes after taking them out.

eat and enjoy! You can add stuff like coconut or flax but I never have.

Well, im a vegetarian, so if I post anything, no meat :)

Lets see, I like to eat a lot of tabbouleh, and I mean A LOT. When I cook, however, I dont measure anything, so I am not sure this will be a good recipe to follow ;)

Start with wheat bulgur, You soak that in warm water for like 10-15 minutes, then place in colainder to drain. Drain it well!

Cut up a $hi% load of parsley, small. Add onions, very small. Salt and pepper, add bulgur, then dressing = lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil. Top with some tomatoes cubed.

Very good :)

Members don't see this ad :)
As soon as I move into my new med school pad I plan on buying all of Rachel Ray's 30 minute meal cookbooks and a grill pan. Oh, and some French cook books for desserts because no one makes cookies and pastries like the French. This is all I'll need to tide me over for 4 years.

Well, I'm a Vegan, my meals are very quick and easy to put together. My meals usually consist of salads, soups, beans (of various types), breads (whatever I can get my hands on). Fruits (bananas, grapes) I eat this through-out the day. I'll have like three bananas in the morning, which is good because after classes I go straight to clinical.

;)

gbiz said:
Well, im a vegetarian, so if I post anything, no meat :)

Lets see, I like to eat a lot of tabbouleh, and I mean A LOT. When I cook, however, I dont measure anything, so I am not sure this will be a good recipe to follow ;)

Start with wheat bulgur, You soak that in warm water for like 10-15 minutes, then place in colainder to drain. Drain it well!

Cut up a $hi% load of parsley, small. Add onions, very small. Salt and pepper, add bulgur, then dressing = lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil. Top with some tomatoes cubed.

Very good :)

I've got my mom.

tigress said:
Okay, if you're in the middle of studying and you really need some sweets, check this out. It sounds crazy but try it!

Preheat oven to 325. Mix 1 cup peanut butter with 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup white sugar. Add one egg and mix well. Put tablespoon size drops of "dough" on cookie sheet, and then press down with fork. Bake for 12 minutes. You have to let them set for a few minutes after taking them out.

Thats a really cool recipe, i will defiently try it. Do you use crunchy peanut butter or smooth.

shoe_box10 said:
Thats a really cool recipe, i will defiently try it. Do you use crunchy peanut butter or smooth.

I use smooth but you could use crunchy if you want. They stay soft, also, which is awesome. They aren't like real cookies, exactly, but when you have a craving they hit the spot :)

tigress said:
I use smooth but you could use crunchy if you want. They stay soft, also, which is awesome. They aren't like real cookies, exactly, but when you have a craving they hit the spot :)

They sound great, i dont suppose they are nutritionally good for you though...... :rolleyes:

Here is the best lasagna ever.

1 pound lasagna noodles
1 pound ground beef
1 pound shredded mozzarella
1 pound ricotta
3 oz cream cheese (I think it's 3. Otherwise 6. The little package that's similar in size to a deck of cards.)
3 pound jar spaghetti sauce (the biggest one they have, usually)
parmesan cheese to taste

If you like cheesy lasagna, you can add more ricotta or mozzarella, whichever you like better. I like it pretty noodle-y. Under no circumstances should you leave out the cream cheese - it's my mom's secret ingredient! Other than that, it's pretty much impossible to mess up.

Boil a lot of water in a big pot. Cook the noodles according to the package directions, or a few minutes less (it's better to have them undercooked since they're easier to work with).

Brown the ground beef and pour off the fat. Add the spaghetti sauce, cream cheese, and any spices you like (I put lots of oregano and basil, but you don't have to add any) and a glug of red wine if you have some (again, totally optional). Heat this until the cream cheese all melts and makes the sauce orange.

Cover the bottom of a 9x13 pan with sauce. Put a layer of noodles down. Spread ricotta on that, then sprinkle mozzarella on that. Do another layer of noodles. Repeat until you run out of noodles. (It's OK if the layers are messy.) Put sauce on top, cover with whatever mozzarella you have left and a good coating of parmesan. Bake at 375 for about an hour.

This freezes really well, and you can bake it from frozen (it'll take almost twice as long, though). I often make two, splitting the recipe into two 8x8 pans, and freeze one.

tigress said:

Totally gonna try this tonight. Thanks!

Simple side dish I like with curry, Mexican, etc.:

Couple Tb. oil
2 cans black beans
1 large Spanish onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
Bit (say a couple teaspoons) sugar
Secret ingredient: cider vinegar to taste

Heat the oil in a large skillet and cook the pepper and onion until soft. Add the beans and boil + simmer approx. 5 minutes. Add sugar, vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste.
So simple, yet so good. If cider vinegar is not available, try sherry, red wine, or even balsamic vinegar...I haven't tried all those, but I bet they all work. Adding some cumin to the dish would probably be delicious as well.

A very quick easy recipe for curried lentils. For the Vegans/Veggies the chicken broth could easily be substituted with Veggie broth. I actually ususally just use some chicken boullion cubes. This makes a lot of food and is great to freeze for leftovers later.

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 8-ounce russet potato, peeled, chopped
1 large carrot, peeled, chopped
2 tablespoons curry powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 14 1/2-ounce cans low-salt chicken broth
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
2 cups lentils (about 12 ounces), rinsed, drained

Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, potato and carrot and sauté. until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Mix in curry powder and cayenne and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add broth, tomatoes with juices and lentils and bring to boil. Cover pot, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until lentils are very tender, about 45 minutes. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.

I love you guys and I love food! Yay for recipies. Ok this isn't really a recipie but it tastes superyum: peanut butter and fluff on a toasted cinnamon raisin bagel/bread. That with a tall glass of milk hits the spot.

kco248 said:
A very quick easy recipe for curried lentils. For the Vegans/Veggies the chicken broth could easily be substituted with Veggie broth. I actually ususally just use some chicken boullion cubes. This makes a lot of food and is great to freeze for leftovers later.

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 8-ounce russet potato, peeled, chopped
1 large carrot, peeled, chopped
2 tablespoons curry powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 14 1/2-ounce cans low-salt chicken broth
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
2 cups lentils (about 12 ounces), rinsed, drained

Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, potato and carrot and sauté. until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Mix in curry powder and cayenne and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add broth, tomatoes with juices and lentils and bring to boil. Cover pot, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until lentils are very tender, about 45 minutes. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.

Wow, this sounds very good! I'll try it soon. :thumbup:

Hmm...my recipes usually involve one lean cuisine and salad from a bag...But mmmm marshmallow fluff that sounds great. I'm on this low-sugar diet right now...Do ya'll think they make splenda marshmallow fluff yet? :)

tigress said:

No flour or anything?

Here's one:

turkey, bread, cheese, mayo and musturd. BAM, your done in two minutes flat!

crys20 said:
Hmm...my recipes usually involve one lean cuisine and salad from a bag...But mmmm marshmallow fluff that sounds great. I'm on this low-sugar diet right now...Do ya'll think they make splenda marshmallow fluff yet? :)

no since marshmellows get their volume from the sugar. they might be able to come up with a sugar alcohol version of it, b/c that gives volume too, but doesnt cook quite like sugar does.

thats the problem with sugar replacements, sugar sweetens, moistens, and gives volume. sugar alternatives sweeten. thats why its hard to make sugar free versions.

if you try baking things, try replacing sugar with applesauce and a sweetener, so applesauce will moisten and give volume (in like cakes); it takes trial and error, but you can make a decent cake that way... the trouble then becomes frosting!

i wonder why we dont see naturlose yet on the market. look it up, its interesting.

right on, i'm such a fan of the new artificial sweetners. :) hopefully that little chlorine that replaces the -OH in splenda isn't carcinogenic or i'm in some major trouble :)

i recommend subscribing to Everyday Food magazine... it's produced by martha stewart's company, so the recipes are really good, but they are intended to be for, well, everyday cooking. so we're talking recipes made from a small handful of ingredients, many of which are kitchen staples, and they're designed to take a minimal amount of time to prepare.

plus, if you're new to cooking, each issue has spotlights on a few essential tools, techniques, or in-season ingredients to help teach you to become a better cook!

i subscribed for a year to collect a nice stack of them with recipes for all seasons once I enter the real world in August, but you could also just buy 3 or 4 from the supermarket or a newsstand and work from there.

or you can download a few recipes from marthastewart.com. but the magazines have great photos!

crys20 said:
right on, i'm such a fan of the new artificial sweetners. :) hopefully that little chlorine that replaces the -OH in splenda isn't carcinogenic or i'm in some major trouble :)

I doubt it is, you dont digest it. Some artificial sweeteners work by being much sweeter then sugar, so you use much less (aspartame, acesulfame potassium, sodium saccharin, etc), while some are not digested or not digested as much (sucralose / splenda, d-tagatose, etc). Splenda is not digested. So if it does anything, it would be to your intestines because it never enters your blood stream.