Shanopy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
US
Visit site
Status
This may be a stupid question, but here it goes.
When a program - a faculty not the program director - calls you and leaves a message on your voice mail telling you to "consider them highly" what is a proper thing to do? Especially when the program is not one of your interests - what is a proper thing to do? Call the faculty back? Call the program director? Does the etiquette matter? Argh. Thanks for any help.

dswonger

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2004
Kansas
Status
Shanopy said:
When a program - a faculty not the program director - calls you and leaves a message on your voice mail telling you to "consider them highly" what is a proper thing to do? Especially when the program is not one of your interests - what is a proper thing to do? Call the faculty back? Call the program director? Does the etiquette matter? Argh. Thanks for any help.

Remember, you are networking here!!! You may not consider them, but, this is an excellant time to put someone in your rolodex for 5 years from now or whenever/never/whatever. This guy was probably given a list of 10 people to call and you were one. He didn't want to do it, probably. Would you want a call back?

You could even parlay the faculty into a call to the director too. 2 for 1. :eek:

Tell them thank you for the call, that you are considering several possiblities and they are one and then turn the call back to them and let them talk about themselves. Everyone loves to talk about themselves. Ask good questions, be sincere, show them your integrity and commitment and put someone in your pocket for later!

Good Luck.

debvz

Wandering Spleen
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Shanopy said:
The Program Director from a program I've ranked last on my ROL called last week. I screen my calls, and I just let the answering machine take it. :eek: