Reclassification for in state tuition in Florida?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thisismylastresort

Reaction score
Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone has had experience/success in reclassifying as a Florida resident after the first year of medical school? This is completely speculative, but my parents and I are considering buying property in Florida so that I can apply for reclassification after 12 months of owning property in Florida. So far, everyone I've talked to has mentioned that they were successful in reclassifying through their spouse, but has anyone had any luck with buying property to show permanent intent of residency? Anything is much appreciated thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone has had experience/success in reclassifying as a Florida resident after the first year of medical school? This is completely speculative, but my parents and I are considering buying property in Florida so that I can apply for reclassification after 12 months of owning property in Florida. So far, everyone I've talked to has mentioned that they were successful in reclassifying through their spouse, but has anyone had any luck with buying property to show permanent intent of residency? Anything is much appreciated thanks!
Buying a house would be cheaper than paying the out-of-state surcharge for three more years??
It makes sense if you were planning to settle in the area, but for solely tuition purposes that don't seem like a smart financial move.