Recombivax - Where to get it

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by p9142, Apr 24, 2007.

1. p9142

p9142 UR out of your element!
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    My Family doctor does not have this vaccine for Hepatitis-B. He can write me a scrip to take to the drugstore, but I was wondering if this is normal procedure. Has anyone else had to the drugstore and then come back to the doctor to get the shot. What a pain in the ass.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. scrubsaresexy

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Kind of unrelated, but I couldn't get my meningitis vaccination from my family doctor (what a special person...it was July or August or something and its a requirement for all state schools to have the vaccination before the start of the semester). Anyway, I went to Passport Health near where I live and got it there. You might want to see if there's some place like that near where you live because they should probably have it. It might've been a bit more expensive, I can't remember, but it was certainly less hassle, especially because those places tend to be less busy and its a really quick in-and-out deal.

Hope that helps!

4. Wanna_B_Scutty

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Call your County Health Department. I'll betcha anything they'll have it, or else they'll know exactly where you can get it.

5. p9142

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I called the Parish Health Department and in Louisiana they only give them to people under 18. I asked the lady where to get the shot and her answer was,"Most people get them before they go to high school." Thanks for that incredibly helpful information.:rolleyes:

I did find a clinic that has the stuff, but its $109 per shot.:eek: Oh well, gotta just bite the bullet and get the shot.

6. NCF145

NCF145 Not Politically Correct
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    When I got vaccinated, the Hep-B vaccine was a series of 3 shots so I don't know how you would get it at a pharmacy. If this is for medical school, I believe that your school will provide you with the vaccine for a fee.

7. p9142

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You would have to keep going to the pharmacy to pick up the shot, and then taking that to the doctr each time.

8. NCF145

NCF145 Not Politically Correct
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    talk about a hassle

9. JonnyG

JonnyG IN the hospitals....
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Vaccines are a huge upfront cost for doctors so many do not choose to carry them. This is especially true with guardasil since the reimbursement is so low. It may be a hassle but get use to it your going into the medical field.

10. ssquared

ssquared Member
    2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Double check with your school to see if they give it to you for free. The school I'm attending in the fall will be giving it to students if they haven't already had it.