recomendation letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harry bajwa

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys.. what about the recomendation letters? i mean how important are they and do they make a difference in getting accepted?
who all shud they be taken from?

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys.. what about the recomendation letters? i mean how important are they and do they make a difference in getting accepted?

It depends on the school about the importnance of rec. letters. Some take them into consideration highly once they have seen your scores, others use it as a reference. Regardless you should see each school's guideline on who to get rec letters from. But for sure get your schools dean's letter (dont send to schools if they do not require it), Faculty that you worked closely with (i.e. research/projects) and finally one from a US Dentist who you have shadowed or assisted. It is a very competative field so you need to have an application is good in all areas, not just scores. Remember the schools know that it is not JUST scores that make a good dentist, it is a well diverse individual that may get in if all the criterias are met.

But In my opinion your SOP makes a huge difference, b/c you can somewhat cover for some weak areas of your application with an excellent SOP.

Good Luck

dentalbug

thanx dentalbug... that was of great help. by the way wots SOP?

Members don't see this ad :)
very important.:)

Guys
I need help, I just have one original Deans letter and I have to apply to manyschools .Called up UCSF and asked them if i can send a notarized copy and they said no. so i somehow requested the school authorities to give me one more. they agreed they said what they can do is sign and seal a copy of the original letter, but when I talked to UCSF guys they did not agree to it.i dont know what to do?They said they need an original letter from the school.
first of all all schools dont work lthe way the US schools do.. a dean does not know the student personally, there are more than 700 students in a dental school, how can a dean know each of them and write a recco letter for them and that too the dean of my college during my time is now retired and there is a new dean.Now i requested them to pull out my records and just give me a letter with the academic standing in the class. even then these guys just want original letters year after year. I dont know what to do. Please advise friends,

Guys whose beenthrough please tell me what should I do

Guys whose beenthrough please tell me what should I do
Hi
This is really a serious issue since there are many students who have graduated from their college in their home country a long time back.
The schools in US do require an original sealed letter from the dean.May be you can request your new Dean to give you a letter after looking at your records.If not personal comments then at least he can certify that you have been a student of that college and may be a few more lines.Thats all you can do.

Hi
This is really a serious issue since there are many students who have graduated from their college in their home country a long time back.
The schools in US do require an original sealed letter from the dean.May be you can request your new Dean to give you a letter after looking at your records.If not personal comments then at least he can certify that you have been a student of that college and may be a few more lines.Thats all you can do.
Thanx for the help.

can someone help me with the format of the recommendation letters that should be submitted at the time of admission to dental schools. How many recommendation letters should we obtain? Do we have to attach any other letters like statement of purpose? Please kindly help.

Guys
I need help, I just have one original Deans letter and I have to apply to manyschools .Called up UCSF and asked them if i can send a notarized copy and they said no. so i somehow requested the school authorities to give me one more. they agreed they said what they can do is sign and seal a copy of the original letter, but when I talked to UCSF guys they did not agree to it.i dont know what to do?They said they need an original letter from the school.
first of all all schools dont work lthe way the US schools do.. a dean does not know the student personally, there are more than 700 students in a dental school, how can a dean know each of them and write a recco letter for them and that too the dean of my college during my time is now retired and there is a new dean.Now i requested them to pull out my records and just give me a letter with the academic standing in the class. even then these guys just want original letters year after year. I dont know what to do. Please advise friends,

hi
it is certainly ok if u send the sealed copy of the original.it is just equal to it.many of the things are not known to the admission coordinator whom we talk to.believe me.wat they say is do as the website says.but they have been accepting copies like that and they will def accept your copy too.so i advice u to send a sealed copy of the original with ur schools stamp and sign of registrar or whosoever concerned across the seal.they never agree anything over the phone.just go ahead with the application

good luck :thumbup:

I sent the notarized copy of dean's letter to USC and UCLA and they r ok with it so hopfully it will work for u too. i'll say go with ur application and submit the sealed copy. it will b fine.