Recomended material for someone who wants to do self study!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Baller Status

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be writing my MCAT this fall and by looking at the prices of the prep courses, i am certain that i cant pay for that. I would self study for it and currently i have the Princeton Review stuff on me. I was wondering if somone could give me advice on what CD's or recommended inexpensive i can buy to help me through my self study period.Also there are several book out there claiming to be the best source to kill the verbal part on MCAT. are they of any good. if yes which one should i go for or princeton should be enough. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

1.) Buy examkrackers books and read those a few times over and take notes.
2.) Memorize said notes.
3.) Take practice aamc mcat CBT's at www.e-mcat.com
4.) Profit.

Some people like audio osmosis...you can torrent it.

2.) Memorize said notes.
4.) Profit.

1. Ditto...best books for your money.
2. Ditto...
3. Ditto...and do this trick to hit the areas that you are struggling with. When you complete the CBT online, it will give you detailed info on each question as to why it was wrong or right. On the ones I missed, I hit print screen and pasted them into a ppt presentation and then studied those points a little extra as I had time. I did one test a month for 4 months, then for the last two months prior to the test I did a couple a month and ended up re-taking the older ones just for more practice.
4. Audio osmosis only if you have wasted time during the day that you can't read a book during...i.e house chores, driving to work, working out, etc...

1001 questions by EK were ok, but took too much time to go through, so I wouldnt waste the money if I didn't have a lot of time to invest in it.

I think that one of the best preparation methods for the verbal section is reading something like the Economist magazine. After reading a paragraph/article try a mental summarization of what you've just read.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kaplan Premier is adequate if not somewhat extensive. Best for Bio/Orgo, adequate for Gen Chem. For Physics see below.

Nova Physics is perfect for the MCAT. Could even be used as a text book.

EK Verbal is just amazing. 'nuff said.

After that, just do practice probs and AAMc tests.

dxu

I have to say after taking the Kaplan course, the best resource for self study is Kaplan's Online stuff, I think its 200$ cheaper than the actual course. I dont even go to the class itself, because this online resource is so good.

All the Full lengths you need, including the official ones you buy from AAMC
Topical, subject tests
Video of the classes
Not sure if you get the review notes in paper back too, but they are online as well.
Qbank

Now I wish I bought this instead of the class itself, but I didn't even know this existed until I was in the class.

Thats my opinion, a lot of people buy EK. This is a lot more expensive, but it has everything you need without purchasing them separately.

edit: I think Kaplan increased the prices. I had the class and online for 1649$ now it looks like that price is for online only.

2.) Memorize said notes.
4.) Profit.

bahaha! I think you mean

2.) Memorize said notes.
4.) ???
5.) Profit.

(unless you don't watch south park :eek:)

Verbal: get EC 101 verbal passages. do 3 a day
For PS and ochem: review all your material first (reading about each subject (ex. magnetism) and doing the in chapter practice problems)
For BIO: just listen to EC audio osmosis and type out everything they say. This is all you will need to know for MCAT, anything more detailed is in the passage.

MOST IMPORTANT: Do as many practice tests as possible. This is how you will improve the most. I used gold standard CBT's (can buy 10 of them for 150, they're pretty accurate as to the level of difficulty for a real AAMC mcat) and then do all the AAMC's last. Well, take the first AAMC to get a feel, then crank out those practice CBT's, then the real AAMC's. You're going to get discouraged at first, but trust me it will get better by the time you're half way through all your practice tests.

bahaha! I think you mean

2.) Memorize said notes.
4.) ???
5.) Profit.

(unless you don't watch south park :eek:)

South park is definitely a favorite. I did leave out the obligatory ??? step to not confuse the original poster.