Recommedation from a D.O. bad when applying to M.D. Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WonderBoy

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Well the subject is self explanatory. Will I be at a disadvantage if I include a recommedation from a DO when applying to MD schools? I was scared that they might think I am not sure what I am doing. Has anyone used a DO's recommedation when applying to MD schools? If so please include if it effected you in anyway, especially during interviews. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

It should have abosultely no impact, just as long as it is a good quality letter. DOs are peers and equals to MDs in the healthcare field. At my "MD school," the Neurosciences course director is a DO. They should not give a $h!t that the writer is a DO and not an MD.

Having a letter from a DO is not a negative. Maybe it was 30 years ago.

The real importance is in their title: A letter from the Surgeon General or Dr. Debakey always looks more impressive than a letter from Dr. Nick Riviera.

If you want to scuttle your chances, send a letter from a Chiropractor or Naturopath. (No offense intended :wink: )

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by Lee A Burnett:

If you want to scuttle your chances, send a letter from a Chiropractor or Naturopath. (No offense intended :wink: )•••••So chiros are now on the level of the naturopath? Wow!

I had a character letter from a D.O. and a M.D. Personally, I don't think it makes a bit of difference who your letters are from as long as the letters are good and the person knows you. I volunteered in an E.R. for 3 years, and there were a lot of D.O.'s there. I happen to think that the D.O. that wrote my letter is one of the best E.R. doctors that I've met, in fact, better than many of the M.D. doctors that were there. I've had 2 interviews so far, any no body asked me about any of my letters.