Technology Recommend a laptop for med school??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dafade

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone...I was just wondering if a laptop is recommended or just more convenient for 1st and 2nd year students. I will be attending SUNY Downstate in August and it sounds like most of the lecture notes are dictated to paper, so do I really need one??
Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Contact some current students via the Admissions office and ask them their experience. You can check the Tech Forum if you decide to get one, but be wary of the PC v. Mac wars.

Contact some current students via the Admissions office and ask them their experience. You can check the Tech Forum if you decide to get one, but be wary of the PC v. Mac wars.

Because we all know that Macs are better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Non-mac recommendation :scared:, I'll decrease the font and hide behind my couch.

Get a Lenovo x61 Tablet. You will love it. (no mac tablet.... yet, there is a really nice prototype in the works [gizmodo and gizmodo]) search tablet pc to see all the pros and cons. in short the con is the price, yes its significanty more expensive, and tablets are slighty heavier (3.8lbs for x60 tablet vs 2.7lbs for non tablet x60.)

Moving to the Technology Forum where these questions can be answered and discussed by people with some expertise.

Look up the ASUS EEE 701. Not bad as a "sub-laptop" accessory type device that you can carry around without having to worry about it much.

Look up the ASUS EEE 701. Not bad as a "sub-laptop" accessory type device that you can carry around without having to worry about it much.

Nice device, although I'll give my usual advice about subnotebooks and ultramobile PC-like devices: always check it out in person, to make sure that you can actually comfortably type on the keyboard (*especially* if it's going to be for class notes and papers) and can comfortably read the screen at whatever your normal viewing distance and font sizes are.