1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Recommend Gold Standard?

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by Scooby-Doo, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Scooby-Doo

Scooby-Doo Guest

Pre-Medical
    I was wondering if The Gold Standard is worth the money for studying?

2. evoviiigsr

7+ Year Member

NO..stay away from it...only use the practice tests it comes with...it has a good section on the interview process as well

3. Auron

Auron Cruisin' the Cosmos
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    But whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!! Seriously, why should one not use the gold standard?

I bought it recently, and after reading comments here I'v decided to buy exam crackers as well.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. meds2008

meds2008 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Me too: I don't get the "stay away from it" if the practice tests are good and the advice on interviews is good. Good practice tests are hard to find.

Well here's my 2 cents:

the gold standard DVDs are awesome

the audio CD is very dry

the book: definitely the practice tests are very realistic, they are online CBTs also, and the admissions advice is good. The only problems I had with the other sections was that the Verbal review was too short and the science review was a bit dry. But besides that sort of dry textbook feel to the science review, I did not find that the review was missing anything that's on the MCAT.

If you score less than 10 on an AAMC practice MCAT CBT then definitely add the Examkrackers Verbal/Math book. It's a quick read with good advice.