Recommend Residetns leave Pathology and get into Internal medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knightmare3000

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a board certified pathologist and I have done forensic work, academic work and private practice. With the cuts in CMS ( i.e. Medicare which finances the house staff) I can only predict that cuts to residents salaries and/or lay offs shall loom on the horizon. Pathology has changes from the "practice of medicine to a commodity thanks largely due to the Rise of Quest and lab corp. It used to be a doctor at a hospital that interacted with clinicians now it is an 800 number from a reference lab far away. I do not recommend that anyone goes into the field. I personally have seen board certified pathologist forced to do Bossley hair transplants to survive. I would rather have a resident get into Internal medicine if they want to do diagnostic work Under CLIA they can still run a lab. But as for the field of pathology with the CMS cuts, the insurance reimbursement cuts ,etc. it is not a viable field anymore. There will always be pockets of researchers that get R - O -1 grind but since you only have a 1 in 4 to a 1 in 3 chance of getting an R - O 1 I do not recommend even an academic life. your faculty may paint a different picture but that is jaded by the fact that they want a "labor force" to do their work . many are lazy . they only house staff left in pathology of the future are those who do not speak English, those that lack behavior skills to deal with patients, or those that at most will make 80K a year which is what an R - O 1 pays,. Even now at the websites of Lab corp or Quest if you put in a desired salary of over 100k you get automatically rejected. the top management may make 400k but as a rank and file the salary is never more than about 100k. so wise up get into internal medicine. the future for pathology is over. with the CMS cuts to take effect next fiscal year do not say I did no tell you your salary will be cuts or lay offs shall occur.

Members don't see this ad.

Do those hair transplants work? I am asking for a friend of mine.

Reactions: 1 users
it i9s sad when you think about it for the field. when I was a student in the 1970's pathologist were the second highest paid docs in the US after neurosurgery $400 k was average some even made $500K now the tip salary at academics is seldom over 120 maybe 120K if R O 1 then 80 K the average practice person is maybe 135 K and at the mills then at most 100 K all of that in the span of 30 years. so get out now go into IM resident may get laid off soon or forced to do a post doc at 25K to 35 K

Members don't see this ad :)
You still did not answer the question of PINKERTON!!!! May be you are better of performing hair transplant than pathology. Salary survey and our experience with the friends and colleagues contradict your statement. Job market is not good but not as bad as you are trying to depict. Even the POL part time pathologist are making >200K (some even > 400k). Perhaps I should say your personal experience do not represent our field.

You still did not answer the question of PINKERTON!!!! May be you are better of performing hair transplant than pathology. Salary survey and our experience with the friends and colleagues contradict your statement. Job market is not good but not as bad as you are trying to depict. Even the POL part time pathologist are making >200K (some even > 400k). Perhaps I should say your personal experience do not represent our field.
if you doubt my words f]go to message board www.sermo.com and see the posts in the pathology specially most echo what I have said. even now labs are outsourcing material to India where they get $2 per slide not more. so if you think salaries are good-FORGET It. I was in the job market for 20 years and NEVER saw a salary over 15 K . most reference labs pay less. most academics pay about $80K to 120 K. R O 1 is pegged at 80 K ( read the NIH brochure about them ) so FORGET pathology just FORGET It what a recruiter says is not the gospel I know of Merritt Hawkins recruiters that promised a salary of 300 K but the problem is that that salary is after full partnership which takes 3- 5 years as an assistant and guess what no one in the past 12 years ever made it to full partnership the outfit ,was a revolving door and they fired the new pathologist every 11 months. been thru 11 assistants in 12 years. so forget it the stories are too good to be true.

if you doubt my words f]go to message board www.sermo.com and see the posts in the pathology specially most echo what I have said. even now labs are outsourcing material to India where they get $2 per slide not more. so if you think salaries are good-FORGET It. I was in the job market for 20 years and NEVER saw a salary over 15 K . most reference labs pay less. most academics pay about $80K to 120 K. R O 1 is pegged at 80 K ( read the NIH brochure about them ) so FORGET pathology just FORGET It what a recruiter says is not the gospel I know of Merritt Hawkins recruiters that promised a salary of 300 K but the problem is that that salary is after full partnership which takes 3- 5 years as an assistant and guess what no one in the past 12 years ever made it to full partnership the outfit ,was a revolving door and they fired the new pathologist every 11 months. been thru 11 assistants in 12 years. so forget it the stories are too good to be true.

Dude, calm down. Not as bad as you say. I found a great job with only 1 fellowship (cyto). Didn't take too long with good pay. Just started in July and I am quite happy. Stop with your crazy doom.

Do those hair transplants work? I am asking for a friend of mine.

I met a guy who was from some Jihadi laden country (Syria/Iraq maybe?) and was an internist who did hair transplants making 500-600K a year. Drove one of those crazy BMW concept car things. Very impressive. I actually felt good that America could raise a dude from a war torn land up to that level just from putting hair on other dudes' heads.

But yah hair transplants absolutely work from a science standpoint. Expensive though.

I think I'd rather get a rug then go through a hair transplant. Would hate to have one of those linear scars. Maybe there are better techniques now that I am not aware of.

Spray on hair works pretty good if you have some hair left for the fibers to stick to.

I think I'd rather get a rug then go through a hair transplant. Would hate to have one of those linear scars. Maybe there are better techniques now that I am not aware of.

Spray on hair works pretty good if you have some hair left for the fibers to stick to.
I lived thru some 20 years of a bad job market a person with 3 degrees, 2 doctorates, triple board certified, 3 fellowships and a US med school grad and was told no job available--private practice, academic, drug companies or R & D I will NOT have someone end up that way. it is a waste of education and time. So I say get out now get into Internal medicine. I also would NOT trust faculty in any advice. most 0f the faculty have never worked in the real world. they tell lies to keep the house staff as a cheap labor force. get out now get into internal medicine

even now labs are outsourcing material to India where they get $2 per slide not more.

Got any proof of this? Pretty sure there's no legal way to outsource US medical work to foreign nations unless someone there with a US MD is doing the work. And why would someone with a US MD be willing to take $2/slide when they could get far more? I highly doubt your claim. In fact I don't believe it at all.

go to www.sermo.com message board this was discussed. now with teleconferencing it is an issue about reading pathology material. it is already done within US for lower rates. see also radiology. some tests like H. pylori stains are not even paid for so people look to ways to cut costs like ship them out bottom line it is merely a mater of time before many jobs shall be eliminated.

go to www.sermo.com message board this was discussed. now with teleconferencing it is an issue about reading pathology material. it is already done within US for lower rates. see also radiology. some tests like H. pylori stains are not even paid for so people look to ways to cut costs like ship them out bottom line it is merely a mater of time before many jobs shall be eliminated.
Google about telemedicine and teleconference there is a global outfit that helps the offshore industry esp. Nigeria the whole of it comes to telemedicine and telepath. right now slides are viewed in rural locales by pathologist far away thru telemedicine and teleconnections to microscopes so it exists. state to state the jump to offshore is on the horizon and a lot of telemedicine is not that well regulated in all states.

Google about telemedicine and teleconference there is a global outfit that helps the offshore industry esp. Nigeria the whole of it comes to telemedicine and telepath. right now slides are viewed in rural locales by pathologist far away thru telemedicine and teleconnections to microscopes so it exists. state to state the jump to offshore is on the horizon and a lot of telemedicine is not that well regulated in all states.
Someone needs Prozac!!! Either incompetent pathologist or lost @ life!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Plain and simple you cannot sign out pathology on US patients unless you have a US MD. Or radiology. The only "outsourcing" of radiology I've ever heard of is US radiologists that live for months at a time and sign out electronic films from Australia, which amounts to them signing out during their day hours while it is night over here. I know of zero examples of outsourcing of US pathology material, using telemedicine (still not FDA approved for sign-out) or by shipping the slides. And proof does not come in the form of another message board full of anonymous posters.

Whatever doom and gloom you want to spout, the job market in forensic pathology is excellent in the US. And will be for the foreseeable future. It's not a job for everyone, but for those of us who enjoy the work, I can look anyone in the eye and tell them they will make a solid living doing important work for the next 30 years.

Reactions: 1 user

Just in the off chance you were really curious, they do have other ways of doing hair transplant now that do not involve linear scars on the occiput.

Just in the off chance you were really curious, they do have other ways of doing hair transplant now that do not involve linear scars on the occiput.

Someone needs to tell LeBron James and Jeremy Piven. They both have sported some linear scarring in pics I have seen. Piven's transplant looks really good though and probably has helped his career immensely.

Someone needs to tell LeBron James and Jeremy Piven. They both have sported some linear scarring in pics I have seen. Piven's transplant looks really good though and probably has helped his career immensely.
Interesting. I also have a friend who was wondering about this. What's it cost to do these kinds of things?

Maybe "knightmare3000" will come back and tell us the pathologists who are doing hair transplants. Then we can call them for our friends.

Until then, there is always masking agents like this. Stuff works, so I have been told :whistle:

http://www.toppik.com/

Like I said there are nutjobs in all fields of medicine. This guy appears to be one of those. Ive met my share in residency and fellowship, both attendings and residents who probably needed to be on Prozac.

I reported that dude, hopefully he'll hightail it back to wherever he came from before making a profile on Monday :grumpy: enough is enough.

Oh cut the poor guy some slack.

Maybe he spent a few late nights reading Dark Daily with some ASPCA ads playing in the background on TV and needed to vent a little.

For those of you considering pathology, pushing glass in isolation is horrible for you-physically and mentally.

I tend to wonder how I would do with a job that was like 8-10 hours a day of pure microscope time. I might get jaded too. My days are typically broken up by meetings, CP stuff, phone calls, leaving the office for various things. Plus if you're more isolated it gets harder with no one to show things too. You kind of lose your edge and it gets dangerous.