Recommend some new medical books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

esob

Article 14
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far I've read:

Hot Lights Cold Steel
Blue Collar Blue Scrubs

All of the books Atul Gawande has published

House of God

What doctors feel
Singular Intimacies

The Doctor and Mr. Dillan

In Stitches (finishing this up now)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Trauma: My Life as an Emergency Surgeon is a book by a DO trauma surgeon who is also on active duty for most of the book. It's a great read if your'e into military medicine, all surgeries, and traumas especially.

Do No Harm is written by a British neurosurgeon who writes with a more poetic touch and more or less describes the very humbling sides of being a neurosurgeon.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also second do no harm, and watch the documentary as well. I have a giant list at home, I'll add some other recommendations when I get off work

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

The Emperor of All Maladies...the book plus the 3-part documentary. Pulitzer prize-winner about the history of human cancers and their treatment.
Do No Harm...great look inside neurosurgery by British doc.
Blood and Guts...accessible book about the history of surgery. It's written as more of a "pop science" book and is fairly short, I believe it also accompanies a BBC documentary.
5 Days at Memorial...about a hospital in central New Orleans during the crisis following Hurricane Katrina. Without power and dwindling supplies, the hospital was evacuated and several critically ill patients (deemed too difficult to evacuate or unlikely to survive the evacuation) were euthanized.
The Gene, by the same author as Emperor of All Maladies. First half is pretty interesting, wasn't able to finish it though.

On my to-read list are Atul Gawande's books. I'm also looking for books about medicine and surgery around the turn of the 19th/20th centuries if anyone has any recommendations!

When Breath Become Air, Paul Kalanithi

Absolutely recommend When Breath Becomes Air.

Also take a look at:

Healing Hearts by Kathy Magliato
Last Night in the OR by Bud Shaw
The Heart Healers by James Forrester

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I just started reading An American Sickness by Elisabeth Rosenthal. It's about the history of health insurance, how it has changed and how these changes caused the high health care costs today. I am enjoying it so far! It's very interesting to hear about all the business practices going on in all parts of the health care industry.

So far I've ordered:

Trauma: My Life as an Emergency Surgeon
Do No Harm
When Breath Becomes Air
and another one that was recommended by amazon when I was ordering these titled On Call: A Doctor's Days and Nights in Residency

Thanks for the recommendations!

Gifted Hands - Ben Carson

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
cultural barriers in medicine: The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman
polio: Breath by Martha Mason
psychiatry: Thank You for Your Service by David Finkel
cancer, cell culturing, ethics: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot (I'm avoiding seeing the movie because the book was so good)
history of cadavers: Stiff by Mary Roach

hiiiiighly recommend The Emperor of All Maladies (like many others above)