Recommendation Etiquette Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thegreengreatdragon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I was just wondering if it is appropriate to let recommenders know about interview invites. I applied to an early acceptance program, and I'm really happy to have gotten this far, and I wonder if it would be nice to just shoot them a quick thank you email...or would that be more appropriate after an acceptance?
Plus, a couple of them were really great about writing me an lor within just a couple of weeks (one did it in 2!), so I thought it would be nice for them to see that their hard work got me somewhere.

Members don't see this ad.

Wouldn't be an awful idea. I would wait until you (hopefully) have multiple interviews and then shoot them an update email. That way you avoid emailing them 10 times for 10 interviews.

It's up to you... I really don't think it matters. I let my LOR writers know that I was accepted and took that as an opportunity to thank them again for their support. The only person I told about interviews is my PI who I see every day--because she asked. But if you want to share the good news, then go for it. Just avoid sending them a play-by-play of every II you get, unless they ask for it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If a student is accepted, it's nice to receive a short email message informing me of the student's happy "acceptance" news. I love good news. I don't expect anything else from a student. In fact, I would prefer NOT to receive gifts from students, but that's just me.

Thank you.

Reactions: 1 user
It's just the one app/interview (I'm only a rising junior, but my UG does this thing where we can apply to our school's med school end of sophomore year), so based on what you guys have said, I think I will let them know. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be super unorthodox. Thanks for the input!