Recommendation from med school professor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Farrah

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would a letter of recommendation from a medical school professor whose lab I researched in count as one of my science recommendations? Or are those science recommendations only from those professors that are in undergrad? Anybody know?

Members don't see this ad.

science letters mean from coursework; lab research is EC letters

I had a problem with this. My non-science coursework letter also came from a professor that I did my honors thesis with. I think schools were confused and thought it was a pure EC letter, and I had to explain it once (oddly enough, UCSD emailed me asking about it... no other schools did...) .

I think other schools might have marked me down for this (?), I mean the ones that explicitly state that the letter should discuss coursework and not just personal qualities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by jhk43
if you've been out of school for 5+ years, do they still expect 2-3 professor letters?

I had been out for 5+ and asked this question at several of the schools I thought I might apply to well before the process. They all said pretty much the same thing. They want the letters as they ask for them and expected me to do everything I could to get them. However, they also made it clear that my app could still get considered if I couldnt get the 2-science, 1-non, but it might be a bit of a negative.

In any case, if youve been out for that long they will likely want to see recent coursework anyway. I just got recs from the profs in these classes.

isn't it ridiculous for people who have been out of school 4+ years to have to get letters from undergrad professor??????