Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Recommendation from med school professor

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Farrah, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Farrah

Farrah Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Would a letter of recommendation from a medical school professor whose lab I researched in count as one of my science recommendations? Or are those science recommendations only from those professors that are in undergrad? Anybody know?

2. Deuteronomy

Deuteronomy Member
    7+ Year Member

science letters mean from coursework; lab research is EC letters

3. I had a problem with this. My non-science coursework letter also came from a professor that I did my honors thesis with. I think schools were confused and thought it was a pure EC letter, and I had to explain it once (oddly enough, UCSD emailed me asking about it... no other schools did...) .

I think other schools might have marked me down for this (?), I mean the ones that explicitly state that the letter should discuss coursework and not just personal qualities.

4. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    EC letter.

5. UCLAstudent

UCLAstudent I'm a luck dragon!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  6. tugbug

tugbug Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I had been out for 5+ and asked this question at several of the schools I thought I might apply to well before the process. They all said pretty much the same thing. They want the letters as they ask for them and expected me to do everything I could to get them. However, they also made it clear that my app could still get considered if I couldnt get the 2-science, 1-non, but it might be a bit of a negative.

In any case, if youve been out for that long they will likely want to see recent coursework anyway. I just got recs from the profs in these classes.

7. allmightylong

allmightylong Member
    7+ Year Member

isn't it ridiculous for people who have been out of school 4+ years to have to get letters from undergrad professor??????