Recommendation letter from MD alumnus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fusion

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I work closely with a physician on an almost daily basis in a clinic (he is one of only two docs who work there). I have been working with him for three months now and he knows me pretty well. He happens to be an alumnus at a medical school where I will be interviewing later this month. Even though I sent five recommendation letters to all the med schools to which I applied (three from former profs, two from MDs who I worked with in other jobs) I am thinking about asking him to write me a recommendation letter to send to his alma mater right around the time that I interview there. So my question is this: Have any of you had a physician alumnus of the medical school to which you are applying write you a letter of support? If so, do you think that the fact that he or she was a graduate of that particular medical school help you at all? The only reservation I have with him writing me a letter is that sometimes we get a little pissed at each other. Nothing big deal and we do have a good working relationship overall, but sometimes he can be a royal PITA (not just my opinion, it’s pretty much consensus in our clinic as well as in the department). As a guy outside of work, he’s totally cool, but as a doctor he can be difficult to work with and somewhat condescending at times. I truly believe that he could write me a strong letter, but I don’t want to ask him for one if he’s going to half-ass it (which he may for all I know, even if he tell me that he could write me a good one).

I would appreciate any thoughts on this issue.

Members don't see this ad.

Fusion said:
I work closely with a physician on an almost daily basis in a clinic (he is one of only two docs who work there). I have been working with him for three months now and he knows me pretty well. He happens to be an alumnus at a medical school where I will be interviewing later this month. Even though I sent five recommendation letters to all the med schools to which I applied (three from former profs, two from MDs who I worked with in other jobs) I am thinking about asking him to write me a recommendation letter to send to his alma mater right around the time that I interview there. So my question is this: Have any of you had a physician alumnus of the medical school to which you are applying write you a letter of support? If so, do you think that the fact that he or she was a graduate of that particular medical school help you at all? The only reservation I have with him writing me a letter is that sometimes we get a little pissed at each other. Nothing big deal and we do have a good working relationship overall, but sometimes he can be a royal PITA (not just my opinion, it’s pretty much consensus in our clinic as well as in the department). As a guy outside of work, he’s totally cool, but as a doctor he can be difficult to work with and somewhat condescending at times. I truly believe that he could write me a strong letter, but I don’t want to ask him for one if he’s going to half-ass it (which he may for all I know, even if he tell me that he could write me a good one).

I would appreciate any thoughts on this issue.

One of my LOR was from a doctor I worked for so her letter was sent to her alma mater since I was applying there. It also happened to be my state school. If you're in the south, do it. From my experience, it is very clickish down here. My sister did it in Canada and she did get in but I don't think the letter really helped a whole lot. McGill is notorious for not really caring about LOR.

It seems like the alumnus really knows you so I don't know why you wouldn't ask him for the letter.

I got a GWU alum vascular surgeon write me a letter, but I still have no love from them.