Recommendation Letter from non-hospital, non-residency trained pharmacist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyRealNameIs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to apply to residency for acute care.

Do residencies care if I get a recommendation letter from a pharmacist that is not residency trained and doesn't work in acute care setting? I worked with her for my community MTM rotation for +200 hours and I pretty much worked independently with her full trust.

My other option would be my research mentor/professor who is PGY2 trained but I probably have <5 hours of personal interaction with her. She did often ask me about her lectures/tests to gauge how hard it was since she said if it was hard for me, it was probably too hard.

I think both can write me a strong recommendation letter based on talking with them but the professor doesn't know me as well as my MTM preceptor.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Many programs require at least 1 or 2 letters from your clinical rotations. Others can be completed by anyone (I asked for LOR from my boss from retail pharmacy. He did not do a residency)

I am trying to apply to residency for acute care.

Do residencies care if I get a recommendation letter from a pharmacist that is not residency trained and doesn't work in acute care setting? I worked with her for my community MTM rotation for +200 hours and I pretty much worked independently with her full trust.

My other option would be my research mentor/professor who is PGY2 trained but I probably have tests to gauge how hard it was since she said if it was hard for me, it was probably too hard.

I think both can write me a strong recommendation letter based on talking with them but the professor doesn't know me as well as my MTM preceptor.

What do you guys think?

Your boss can absolutely speak to what it’s been like working with you - as a preceptor I would love to read that letter.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
This MTM rotation still sounds pretty clinical and that pharmacist can likely speak to more of the things they are asked in the reference.

This is just like applying to pharmacy school... avoid LORs if they barely know you.