Recommendation letter question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OncSurg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in applying for surgical residency, I have few recommendation letters from Plastics, ENT Head & Neck Surgeons (academic and well known figures). I was wondering is it necessary to have a General Surgeons recommendation?

Members don't see this ad.

If applying for general surgery, yes, the majority of your letters should be from general (or general subspecialty like vascular) surgeons.

Plastics and ENT letters (and urology) tend to raise suspicions of applying to general surgery as back up rather than due to true interest in doing general surgery and it's subspecialties.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input, I have two letters from General surgeons, One from ENT and one from Plastics (The ENT and Plastics letters are from Chair in USA) and the General surgery letters are from my home country (Pakistan) Surgeons.

thanks for the input. Yes, those are all the letters that I have. Although, two of them are not from General Surgeons (ENT and Plastics) I will include them still, as they are from the US. Just hoping that these are not disregarded.