Recommendation Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovefash67

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!So, I asked one of my old supervisors to write a recommendation letter for me and they asked me what it should say in letter. I told them to pretty much write my performance as an employee/work ethic, why I would be a good candidate for the program. Is there anything else I should tell them such as my research interest,etc?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on what the supervisor did with you. I would ask them to emphasize the skills they can speak to in the domains of research, clinical knowledge/skills, general relatedness/dedication/what its like to work with you, etc. The key is to get them to emphasize the things that they can speak for and not ask them to talk about what they can- its part of the balance of finding the right combo of rec letters.

It depends on what the supervisor did with you. I would ask them to emphasize the skills they can speak to in the domains of research, clinical knowledge/skills, general relatedness/dedication/what its like to work with you, etc. The key is to get them to emphasize the things that they can speak for and not ask them to talk about what they can- its part of the balance of finding the right combo of rec letters.

Okay thank you. My old supervisor and is a director of a clubhouse and I worked as a wellness coach so he would have to discuss my clinical/knowledge skills since we did not do any research. I have a PI and my old research manager writing my other recommendation letters which will be more about my research skills