Recommendation Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovebyscience

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I wanted to know if it would be okay to ask a Graduate student for a recommendation letter if they were the only ones teaching you. I took several courses that were taught by graduate students and just wanted to make sure that I could still ask them...I already have my science recommendation letters all I need is my non-science!

Members don't see this ad.

Won't be taken seriously, so not worth it. The way to do it is to have their supervisor write it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys I wanted to know if it would be okay to ask a Graduate student for a recommendation letter if they were the only ones teaching you. I took several courses that were taught by graduate students and just wanted to make sure that I could still ask them...I already have my science recommendation letters all I need is my non-science!

Have you thought about having the TA write it and having it cosigned by your professor? If it's big science class, your likely to have more face to face interaction with your TA but having your professor co-sign it adds weight to the letter.

I also disagree somewhat with not having a TA write the letter. Depending on their title, they might be a Ph.D. candidate or a post-doc who does most of the teaching and who will know you better/have time to write a better letter. Based on my experience, the professors in my science classes all tend to use letterheads that says things like "XXX is in the top 20% of the class and is above average" whereas a TA might have something personal or more meaningful to say about you.

Noooo. Absolutely not!

I know for example, the premed committee at my school will not even accept a grad student's recommendation. If the premed committee won't accept it, what makes you think a medical school would like seeing one?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/sho...ight=graduate+student+letter+of+recommendatin

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/sho...ight=graduate+student+letter+of+recommendatin

Here's some answers, some people said it should be okay but might not carry the same weight as a prof's.