kevster2001

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2004
Status
Medical Student
kelpy said:
I am a rising senior in college who's applying to medical school this year. I currently have 7 recommendation letters in my file:

1- from my current PI: has said great things about me in the letter, knows about my research project

2- old PI: excellent letter, knows me personally and academically, however does not have much to say about my research

3- biophysics prof: great letter
4- bio prof: probably a good letter, since i did well in his class
5- bio prof: a good rec but probably ordinary and not really personal
6- humanities prof: does not know me that well, but should be good enough
7- volunteer coordinator: again a generic letter

I think 7 recommendations are too many and the adcoms won't even bother reading them. So what do you guys think I should do? Which recommendations should I send? Any advice is appreciated. :oops:
i would dump number 5 to start off. then probably 6. although if u wanna keep a nonscience then dump 4

About the Ads

MaryWrathers

10+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
I know this question may sound naive/ignorant, but do applicants submit all individual rec letters or just 1 pre-med committee letter (a combo. of those many letters)? If it is the latter, then it shouldn't matter how many rec letters we garner, correct?
Thank you for your help.

LauraPaz

10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
St. Louis
laurapaz.livejournal.com
Status
Medical Student
kelpy said:
I think 7 recommendations are too many and the adcoms won't even bother reading them. So what do you guys think I should do? Which recommendations should I send? Any advice is appreciated. :oops:
A lot of schools will specify certain letters that they want, if you don't have/use a pre-medical committee recommendation. So it's probably a good thing that you've got a wide variety to pull from. See what the schools say when you do their secondaries, and if you're given a choice, send those that you feel will reflect best on you, while also giving a full picture of what you've done in college. (i.e. don't send only letters from your PI's, include some other aspects of your extra-curricular life)

Robizzle

1K Member
10+ Year Member
May 28, 2006
Boston & NYC
Status
Medical Student
MaryWrathers said:
I know this question may sound naive/ignorant, but do applicants submit all individual rec letters or just 1 pre-med committee letter? If it is the latter, then it shouldn't matter how many rec letters we garner, correct?
Thank you for your help.
your pre-med committee people should tell you how many they want/need. for instance, my shcool wanted 3 but recommended 5.

spospo

Going to extremes
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2006
The 'kane
Status
Medical Student
kelpy said:
What is the maximum number of recommendations that we can submit?

every school is different. i've seen some that say only 3, some that say up to 5, some up to 6, some have no limit. look on their website

About the Ads