recommendation letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deepa100

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a third yr DO student. I am trying to understand how the process of submitting the recommendation letters works for residency applications. I used an electronic service for my med school applications. Basically, I never saw the letters of recommendation text but I was able to send it via the service to the schools. How does this work for residency apps?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I am a third yr DO student. I am trying to understand how the process of submitting the recommendation letters works for residency applications. I used an electronic service for my med school applications. Basically, I never saw the letters of recommendation text but I was able to send it via the service to the schools. How does this work for residency apps?
Thanks!

usu u have recommenders send LORs to a central office at ur school (eg - academic affairs) and they will scan and upload them to the ERAS "post office" online. ERAS = electronic residency application service.

u then check off which LORs u want sent to each program that u apply to and if they're in the post office (that is, ur school has ur LOR and has uploaded it), then it automatically goes to the program. if u assign a LOR and it hasn't been uploaded (or not given to ur school yet), then it will send as soon as ur school gets it and uploads it.

u don't get to read them if u waive ur rights to read it (which u should do or its not worth much b/c the programs feel that ur recommender might not have been as brutally honest as they would want to be if they know that u can read it; FMGs run into this problem b/c their LOR writers usu give the letter to the applicant to get scanned/uploaded so obvi they get to c their LORs).

I believe most medical schools will read through your letters and give you a bit of a heads up on which letters are good and which are bad. You can't read them obviously, but they want to help you out as much as they can.