1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Recommendation Question...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by brandonite, Nov 5, 2001.

1. brandonite

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

I have a question about letters of recommendation. My school does not have a premedical advisory committee, which means that I need to go out and hunt down professors for every application I send in.

I am a Physics major, so most of the profs that know me best are Physics profs. Senior Physics courses tend to have only a dozen or so students, so you actually get to know the profs, as opposed to hundreds in a arts class. Is it bad if I have all of my letters of recommendation from one deparment? I could maybe find a prof from Arts or another Science department to write me a letter, but it wouldn't be as strong a letter as they don't really know me as well.

What do you guys think?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Two science and one non-science will almost universally fulfill all minimum reqs for letters. Schools don't care so much about what department the letters come from, they care how well the person knew you and what they say about you.

4. UCMonkey

UCMonkey Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

To add on to what none said, its also nice to have at least one letter from somone like an employer, someone who was not necessarily a teacher but still knows you in a professional capacity.

5. Ceelo

Ceelo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

2 science, 1 non-science seems to be the norm. But does anyone know if you can get someone else (say a doctor) to write you a rec in place of getting one from a non-science faculty?