recommendations and appliying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

av35

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
this is my first time writing..I was wondering how necessary a DO recommendation is. I have been attempting to shadow a DO but with my work schedule it has been very hard, and he doesn't work weekends.... Being in MA there aren't many DO's around. Even if I can get a recommendation from this DO, I don't know how honest it can be because I shadowed him once so far him...any comments to how the schools will look to such situation?
I was also wondering if I should wait another year to apply or not...I have a 3.2 gpa, 2.9 science (but with great grades in upper level biochem/mol.bio classes), and a 26 on the mcats(will be taking it this august again)...I was planning on applying this year but don't know if it is better just to apply right at the beginning or wait........

sorry this is long......take care ;)

Members don't see this ad.

A DO recommendation is required by some schools. Have you tried looking in the yellow pages? If there aren't any there, most states have an association of some type, for example, Virginia has the Va Osteopathic Medicine Assoc. And apply now, because you won't need the recs until the secondaries come, which should give you an extra month or two of time. Hope this helps.

Nugget

I really think it helped on my apps having DO recommendations. If you can't shadow them more than once, take them out for lunch on a Saturday or something so that they can really get to know you and your intentions. And don't be afraid to ask for a letter. If they say no, at least you know, and anyways there are other DOs around (yellow pages is a good idea).

Members don't see this ad :)
Recommendation letter from a D.O. is one of those things the adcoms realize that is hard to come by. So getting a letter does mean something to them. Is it a necessity? Not in some schools. Some schools welcome any type of letter from a doctorate as long as it tells them about yourself. Keeping that in mind, a letter or recommendation from a D.O. doesn't have to be too long. Many adcoms realize that you may have just shadowed a D.O. for only a couple of days so they don't expect too much. Getting a letter means that you've tried and hopefully understand what it is like to be an osteopathic physician.

In California we have something called Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons of California (OPSC). Talk about having a hard time looking for a D.O.!!! It took me the yellow pages, attending conferences, and a referral before getting one letter. Luckily, once I had attained one, I was referred from that D.O. to another D.O. and from that D.O. to another, etc.... I ended up getting 3 letters of rec from an osteopathic physician.

av35, I suggest just getting the letter of recommendation from the D.O. you shadowed. Once that isover, ask for a referral to a colleague to see a different side to osteopathic practices. As for applying, I usually tell people to apply as early as possible don't wait the last minute. Whether or not you plan to retake your MCAT's, just turn in your application already(if you really want to apply this year).

So, av35, your situation is common, just get the letter and move on. Be assertive, ask, the least the D.O. can say is a "NO" in writing a letter. Most adcoms realize the inaccessibility of D.O.'s in some areas. At least you've tried. Turn in your app early!!!

That's it, hope that helps. Anymore questions, just post away!!!

Popoy :cool:

Thanks alot guys, it means alot!!!!!!!!! :)

AV,

If you're in the Boston area, email me...I can give you some info on a great DO who I shadowed.

av35,

Where in Massachusetts are you? I go to school in Worcester and work at the UMass Medical Center. I have been shadowing a D.O. who is in her fourth year of residency in Neurology (she's chief resident) through the course of the current semester. There are a few D.O.'s at UMass, mostly in Neurology. If you are in the area, I strongly suggest that you take a ride out to UMass and see if you can work something out with the D.O.'s there.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Together