Recommendations for a good portable hand piece unit for a dental student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jordan1671

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, we've been doing crown preps and I was just searching for portable units to power handpieces thinking I might be able to get some practice at home. I found this (Amazon product) on amazon and was surprised it didn't cost so much. But since it doesn't have any reviews, I'm wary of buying something without knowing much about it. Is this all I need to just power my hand pieces? What recommendations for products do you guys have?

Members don't see this ad.

You need a compressor. How far do you live from your sim lab? Just do your work there. Home is for beer and Netflix.

A classmate of mine bought one of these from ebay, replaced the regulator (which wasn't very reliable and did not keep consistent PSI), hooked it up to one of those 3 gallon "pancake" compressors and has a great working unit at home now.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dental-...389435?hash=item2ee14c9a3b:g:-dIAAOSwstxVUVTl

I would make a little in-line filter out of PVC from the compressor to the unit to keep any kind of debris out of your handpiece.