Recommendations for end of MS1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedBrah 19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to get to start my studying at the end of MS1 for USMLE now that things are quieting down a bit and I've gotten into my groove with school. Thoughts on what I should begin with first? I was thinking First Aid and reviewing anatomy, biochem, and physio but since we haven't had path or pharm will I really be getting anything out of starting so early? Should I hold off the question banks until second year starts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Side note, I was just looking over at the firecracker thread and so many people started from day 1... now I feel like I'm already behind
If you really want to commit to Firecracker, it's not a bad idea to make it your summer project to bank all the M1 material.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reviewing M1 material now certainly helps, but it will be hard to keep up with it all while you're learning the path and pharm during MS2. I scored well, so obviously if it were me I wouldn't have studied early during MS1 anyways, but if I had to, maybe I'd get a head start on pathology?? Don't worry about seeing other ppl doing Firecracker early. Again most of doing well on Step 1 is mastering path/pharm/micro, but you certainly have to know your MS1 stuff too. I really don't think starting Firecracker now will make a big difference in your score as compared to focusing hard on MS2 info.

Wouldn't maybe hurt to get started on question banks (Uworld and Kaplan, if you're up for both) one year out from your test. Doing well on Step 1 consists of knowing First Aid inside out and doing as many practice questions as you can (and of course trying to understand all the different disease mechanisms, etc).

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly no point. If you have started organ systems, maybe get first aid and try flipping through that.

Otherwise, you should realize that you simply don't know enough material yet to realistically approach the question style of the USMLE. If you have extra time during M1, you should be doing research (or similarly career-oriented activity), and/or enjoying balance (time to relax and enjoy life). Everything you've studied so far is relatively low-yield for boards and is mainly there to serve as a foundation for M2 coursework. Once the foundation is in place you need to let go and trust the work you've already accomplished.

Reactions: 1 users