Recommendations for Postbac Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skelly99

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I am looking for specific program recommendations from people who have done a postbac year or premed-type masters program before applying/reapplying to med school.

This is not a post to see whether doing a postbac is valuable or helpful. I just want to see what's out there, find out about reputable programs, etc.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

skelley....i see that you're in the D.C. area...so i'll tell you about some of the somewhat local post-bacc programs that i know of. Georgetown Univ has a masters in physiology program that is somewhat competitive to get into. Last time i checked the minimum requirements were overall undergrad GPA of 3.2 and MCAT of at least 27. The program is a one year program where you take some of your classes alongside med students. From what i hear, the top 5% of students in this program usually end up getting into G'towns med school.

VCU/MCV in Richmond, VA. also offers a similar program except that its not as competitive. Its a one year graduate program in either biochem, anatomy, physiology, genetics, and immunology/toxicology. There are two routes you can choose...a masters degree route where you would not only have to take the required classes but also conduct research, write a thesis, and defend it...OR you can just do the classes, maintain at least a 3.0 and have taken a minimum of 27 credits by the end of the program (doesnt sound too difficult). MCV's program is not advertised and is therefore no where near as competitive as G'towns.

Personally, i prefer MCV's program for several reasons. Its not as competitive, its much much cheaper (around 7K for VA residents) and MCV is my top choice for med school....if i find out anything else about MCV's program, i'll let you know..meanwhile, good luck in your search...
smile.gif

DOCTORSAIB

I know of someone who is looking into a MA in Medical Sciences program at Boston University. According to him (I suppose his information comes from someone at the school, but sometimes I wonder), if you take the summer classes, you can have the entire masters finished within one year.