Recommendations on flying into Blacksburg

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cee

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
any recommendations on where to stay/where to fly in for the VCOM interview? I was told over the phone that the best thing is to fly into Roanoke and make the voyage to Blacksburg. I was wondering which hotel would be good to stay in.. chances are i'll be renting a car, so being within walking distance to things wont be much of an issue.

also, i'll probably be coming on a saturday (interview is on monday) and am wondering if i'll encounter problems getting into blacksburg because its a gameday (albeit against a bad team, cincinnati i think). any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you will want to fly into Roanoke it is the closest airport. It is about a 35minute drive to Blacksburg from there. Most of the rental car companies at the airport will have directions to the Tech campus. There are several hotels here and you can probably just go to hotels.com to find one. I stayed at a comfort inn and it was pretty nice. I think it was $67 for people attending VCOM interviews, but you will have to tell them that you are. I do not think you will have any problem with traffic on game day. I have only lived here for one month and one game weekend but it was not that busy. If anything the roads were empty for 4-5 hours. Good Luck! PM me if you have anymore questions

Amerisuites also had a good VCOM rate. It used to be $75.
Microtel inn is close and usually under 60$
Hampton Inn is nearby as well
And as Cyclegirl said, comfort inn is the closest.
Do not stay at Ramada Inn.. You will not be happy.

Roanoke is the closest airport. Greensboro, NC is the cheapest choice ususally. It is about a 3 hour drive though, but if money is tight....

good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, a VCOM interview already?

I've been complete for almost 2 months, and they still haven't even reviewed my PRIMARY app (told me to check back in a month). Weird.

Or if you have your own plane you can always land at VT's little airport.:p

I would say it depends on your timing as to whether or not you'll have problems on game day. An hour or two before and after the game you will have very bad traffic so I would try to plan around that.

Also, I think the the new Inn at Virginia Tech gives discounted rates for people interviewing at vcom and it is supposed to be awesome. You might run into problems getting a hotel on that game night though, I would check on that asap.

VCOM's website lists a few places including phone numbers and prices. some hotels offer free shuttle service from roanoke and there is a link to the bburg transit. so if you are really broke, you don't need to get a rental.

http://www.vcom.vt.edu/general/directions.html

VCOM's website lists a few places including phone numbers and prices. some hotels offer free shuttle service from roanoke and there is a link to the bburg transit. so if you are really broke, you don't need to get a rental.

http://www.vcom.vt.edu/general/directions.html

thanks, but i already booked everything.. btw, anything i should check out while i'm in blacksburg? for instance, i'm interested in driving to areas that i'd probably use the most IF (and thats still an "IF") i were to go to VCOM. ya know, place like grocery stores or shopping areas that students frequent.. i kind of want to get a feel of what it would be like to attend school there, to help me make my decision.