Recommendations on how to improve my manual dexterity?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wdp15

Reaction score
Hi, I was curious if anyone had any recommendations, exercises, or hobbies to improve my hand strength and manual dexterity before I begin dental school next fall? Definitely want to hit the ground running!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
For some reason people always recommend picking up a musical instrument or knitting or something like that to me. Sure, that’s all good, but those are macro skills. If you really wanna do something that requires the precision that dentists need, paint miniature figurines, build car or plane models, fly tying or soldering circuit boards under a magnifying glass is probably as close as you can get.

League of legends. Also helps with faster neuronal firing.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
as well as better anger management....lol

Reactions: 3 users
Learn how to swing a bat or a golf club or even how to handle a puck with a hockey stick. It'll teach you how to hold and keep your grip loose. In all seriousness, learn how to hold something and develop tactile sense. The best thing I learned in school was the harder you grip the handpiece, the less you can feel what you are doing. So if you're dropping a box on a class 2 prep, hold the handpiece delicately so you can feel with the bur.

Just go to the gym and build healthy habits.

Learn how to swing a bat or a golf club or even how to handle a puck with a hockey stick. It'll teach you how to hold and keep your grip loose. In all seriousness, learn how to hold something and develop tactile sense. The best thing I learned in school was the harder you grip the handpiece, the less you can feel what you are doing. So if you're dropping a box on a class 2 prep, hold the handpiece delicately so you can feel with the bur.
Or when you're accessing a canal.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk