Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Recommendations on Post-Bac Programs

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by beebo, Jan 28, 2001.

1. beebo

beebo Junior Member

I would like some recommendations on post-bac programs. A little background - I would need a program that is designed to strengthen an applicant's existing science GPA. That is to say, I graduated with a science degree.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. fiatslug

fiatslug Senior Member
    Physician

Attending Physician
    Don't get sucked into the trap of thinking you have to pay big dollars and spend time in an "official" post bacc program--they are CASH COWS for the universities that sponsor them! You can buff up your BCPM GPA by taking any science classes you want through concurrent enrollment at your local university. A more structured program may have more bells and whistles (ie, advisors, and more importantly, a group of like-minded fellow students going through the same process) than something you put together by yourself, but you certainly don't need to present a "post bacc" certificate to medical school admissions committees.

4. PostBaccs are a great opportunity to boost your GPA and I completely agree with fiatslug -- look for postbacc programs sponsored by state money or run at a state school. Other programs will have you in debt before you even start medical school. I am not familiar with programs nation wide, only California ones. To save my breath, I am including the URL for Health Pathways so that you can read about what programs nation wide have to offer [look for the link to the current issue]: http://www.oshpd.state.ca.us/pcrcd/professions/hpcop.htm

5. gower

gower 1K Member