recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JPT

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a third year undergraduate student at UVa and am curious as to who I should ask to write my recommendations? I have a couple professors in mind and doctor with whom I am doing research, but I really don't have any non-science professors that I feel know me well enough to write a strong letter of recommendation. Am I at a disadvantage if I have all my letters from science professors or doctors?

Members don't see this ad.

JPT-

You may want to find out if your school requires a committee letter or not. Mine does and this changes the process of collecting letters.

Also, as far as not having a non science, it may hurt you to not have one. I am not sure how they are graded, but from what I have gathered, medical schools want well-rounded individuals. SO...what's better than a letter from your Literature prof who says that you enjoyed British Lit so much that you read more than the required material and presented a paper to her that was absolutely fabulous. Now, doesn't that sound great?

If you are not close with any non-science profs, here is what you may want to do. Try to find out which professors are strong with volunteering and working in their community. Many professors, especially at schools in and around cities, do some sort of work with charitable organizations and they love volunteers.

Get involved in one of the projects and then have the prof write the letter based on what you did working with people, not what you did in class.

Best of luck to you!

PS: Go with the Humanities Departments, or Sociology. Also, maybe a letter from a Communications professor?

------------------
Joshua Paul Hazelton, CNA, EMT-B
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)
"D.O. Wannabe"

[This message has been edited by JPHazelton (edited 12-08-2000).]